I hate those vultures

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#25I hate those vultures
Posted: 7/7/12 at 7:27pm

I actually did have an extra ticket for Hairspray during the final week. I really didn't care to make $ off of it; just wanted someone to be able to enjoy the show. I think I gave it to one of the vultures, because since then, I've seen her at other final shows. I hope she enjoyed the free performance.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

Becky2
#26I hate those vultures
Posted: 7/7/12 at 8:42pm

It's not them asking for a free ticket I have a problem with. It's not people giving a ticket away for free I have a problem with.

What I DID have a problem with was encountering one at the Leap of Faith closing who tried to bully and intimidate me into giving him an extra ticket. I hadn't run into them before that, but now I see what everyone was talking about.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#27I hate those vultures
Posted: 7/7/12 at 10:17pm

I was stuck once and depended on the kindness of a stranger: "8" with Gavin Creel came to the ART in Boston for one night, and the initial announcement said that it was a free public performance. When I arrived at the theater, 45 minutes early (after traveling about 2 hours to get there), I found that not only were tickets no longer free, but that the show was completely sold out. I decided to wait around, and when the line to get into the theater started becoming long, about 20 minutes before they opened the house, I began asking people if anyone had an extra ticket to sell me. One nice lady gave me a ticket because her friend hadn't made it, and when I offered to pay her for it, she declined, stating that she was just happy that someone would get to enjoy it. I wound up sitting in the very front.

Another time (years earlier), I thought I could get a rush ticket for "Sunday in the Park with George," because it was in previews. The show was completely sold out. I waited in the cancellation line, and a patron whose husband couldn't make it asked if any of us on the line wanted it. Since I was first in line and only wanted a single as well, I got it. Front-row mezzanine, lucky me! And again, she declined payment for the ticket; she was just happy that someone who appreciated theater would sit next to her, unlike her husband (her words, not mine!).

I have no problem with people asking for extra tickets when they get stuck, IF they plan to offer payment. I've given away or sold extra tickets a few times. It's when there's the sense of entitlement, as stated above, that irks me.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#28I hate those vultures
Posted: 7/7/12 at 10:53pm

I have both been the unexpected recipient of a stranger's generous gift of a ticket, and I have also given tickets to others. I'm all for people helping each other.

It's the weird bullying/entitlement/manipulation that the "vultures" have that is so disconcerting. Namo put it well -- these people do not think of life and its interactions in the same way other people do, so trying to understand them through the lens of typical thought processes and behavior doesn't work. Some are mentally ill, some have some other diagnosis, some are completely clueless, and some are just jerks, but in all cases, you can't use your own thoughts and sense of appropriate behavior as a guideline, or you will be frustrated.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29I hate those vultures
Posted: 7/8/12 at 12:48am

To those that look for a ticket to BUY, but then are told no thank you to payment, have an ENTIRELY different story. There are many generous folks in the world, but the recipient needs to be so as well -- and most of these vultures are not.

And I have to believe there are just too many of them to believe they are all mentally incapacitated. (Well, at least from the stories here.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#30I hate those vultures
Posted: 7/8/12 at 12:58am

These stories of a random time someone asked for a ticket are not the "vultures" this thread is discussing. This a subset of 10-20 people who haunt the NY theater scene. We have nicknames for them because we see them all the time. (Some of them we know their real names.)

They are combative, intimidating and often their actions could be described as harassment. This is why we have a problem with them. They have every right to say whatever they want, but it this aggressive demeanor that I most strongly object to. Are some of them mentally ill? Perhaps, but there is certainly no proof of that. On of them (the Bird Woman's bf) told a friend of mine he simply likes to put one over on people. He enjoys walking down the center orchestra aisle seeing the people who paid $125 for their tickets and knowing he got in for free.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#31I hate those vultures
Posted: 7/8/12 at 1:35am

He enjoys walking down the center orchestra aisle seeing the people who paid $125 for their tickets and knowing he got in for free.

That is just sick. These people are crossing the line. Begging and harassing people for a free ticket is just not okay in my book.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "