Public Theater

jbm2
#1Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 12:40am

Thinking of seeing Fun House@ th Public Theater when I am in town next month. I am not familiar with the Public Theater... What is their production value? Are they know for producing good shows? $15 ticket price had me wondering....

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 12:46am

The Public Theater is the birthplace of shows such as A Chorus Line, Hair, W;t, Caroline, or Change Bring in Da Noise, Bring in Da Funk, and numerous others. It's one of the preeminent theatres not only in NYC, but arguably the country.

Fun Home is being presented as a Public Lab. That means it's not a fully realized production yet, but not quite a workshop, either. They tend to have minimal scenery and production values are typically basic. It's about getting a work up on its feet and in front of an audience. For $15, you're getting an excellent deal for something like Fun Home, which is being directed by rising star Sam Gold, composed by Jeanine Tesori, and starring Judy Kuhn.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 12:56am

It's funny that Judy Kuhn is being perceived as the star of this production, because her role is very much supporting. The piece has a huge central character and that's the one being played by Beth Malone. Kuhn is the biggest name involved amongst the cast, of course, but those expecting a starring vehicle for her will inevitably be disappointing.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

jbm2
#3Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 1:05am

Do you hear good things around Fun House? Something worth seeing?

somethingwicked
#4Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 1:07am

The piece is called FUN HOME, and yes, it's a difficult, dazzling, really special piece of theater. The book that it's based on is equally wonderful. As Kad said, this Lab production is very much a developmental one, but what they already have is quite magical.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Updated On: 9/18/12 at 01:07 AM

Plum
#5Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 1:29am

I have no idea if this production is going to be good, but I'm going to the Public's box office tomorrow to get tickets because a) the original Alison Bechdel book is wonderful, and b) Jeanine Tesori composed one of my favorite scores the last time she was involved in a Public production.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 2:13am

Can you not get tickets online? Only at the box office?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 9:38am

The New York Shakespeare Festival/Public Theater is one of the greatest theatrical institutions in the history of the theater.

somethingwicked
#8Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:20am

FYI, for those interested in seeing the show, tickets are now on sale. Because of how small the theater is and how well sold the show apparently appears to be through subscriber bookings, I'd suggest booking as soon as you can. I'm sure it will be sold out rather quickly.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#9Public Theater
Posted: 9/18/12 at 11:18pm

The show is in Public Lab, but it is not AS minimal of a production as people are making it out to be. There is a full design, it's fully staged, and completely realized. There is video/projection design, a complete set, etc. The budget is less than what a full production would be, the piece is still being developed, and critics are not invited to the show. That's ultimately what makes it Public Lab.

And while the show is sold out, it's not completely sold out. It's currently only sold out up to holds. As soon as some holds are released, tickets will become available.

And Kad, w;t started off broadway at MCC, not The Public.

This will be a piece worth seeing, for sure. If anything, to be a part of the developmental process. (Much like the first run of NOW. HERE. THIS.) Don't stress about it being sold out. Cancelations and other forms of last-minute tickets can be available.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10Public Theater
Posted: 9/19/12 at 3:26am

Should I go to the Public's box office, or are tickets actually "sold out" as of right now?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Public Theater
Posted: 9/19/12 at 11:05am

You're absolutely right. I meant Well.

I for some reason will constantly switch w;t and Well in my head.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#12Public Theater
Posted: 9/19/12 at 3:34pm

This thread made me want to cry a little bit.

A work of art is an invitation to love.