pixeltracker

Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood

Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood

#1Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 10:05am

Um,....

What is going on in recent hiring trends at theaters lately?

It seems the staff at Studio54 need to learn a couple of things about the theater.

One usher said I was going to my seat
"Scuse me, you wanna book?"

which really meant- "Would you like a Playbill?"

another said
"Joo like de Cho raaiighhtt?"

Which meant-
"Did you enjoy the show?"

anyway- there were many other improper speech, body language and happenings among the Theater that resonated as unprofessional, low class and really untrained.
If I heard another 'yo' in the middle of their loud and disrespectful dialogue- I was going to complain to an ush...oh wait...they WERE the ushers!!!!!

Is this the best ushering staff Studio54 can get?

Is this trending in other theaters?
WHy not just hire performing arts college majors or older people who give a damn and respect the theater and understand what is going on around them?

Updated On: 10/21/12 at 10:05 AM

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#2Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 10:18am

Doesn't Roundabout use volunteer ushers?

#2Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 10:20am

Elphie if that is correct, that explains A LOT!

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#3Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 11:01am

Yes, all of the Roundabout shows have a limited staff of professional ushers and then supplement them with volunteers. I saw many Roundabout shows thanks to their volunter usher programs when I lived in the city. CABARET (multiple times), LITTLE ME, An Evening with Mario Cantone, MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER just to name a few off the top of my head.

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Luv2goToShows
#4Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 11:12am

I was thinking the same thing taboo123, I thought maybe some of them were interns.

Proper Villain Profile Photo
Proper Villain
#5Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 11:17am

I'm shocked that people who make less than $30,000 a year (or volunteer!) could make a verbal misstep calling a Playbill a "book", or, have an affected accent and get hired to interact with the public.

Do you really interact with the ushers *that* much at the theatre? There's nothing insulting or unprofessional that you've listed.

Honestly though, how dare they ask you if you enjoyed yourself.

"Are we being attacked or entertained?" - MST3K My theatre poster/logo portfolio: http://www.listenterprises.com/

chris d
#6Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 11:44am

anybody who has a problem with volunteer ushers needs serious help...

Luv2goToShows
#7Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 12:22pm

I actually thought all the ushers were very nice, some were a bit young and not as professional as some of the more seasoned ushers. My first thought was that they were students possibly interning for the Roundabout.

The volunteer ushers are usually theatre enthusiasts and call a playbill a playbill, not a book or program.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:29pm

I think the OP has every right to be annoyed if the talking was happening DURING the show...but that was not made clear.

And when have ushers been considered a "high class job"? They seat people and hand out programs. (I'm not trying to "diss" them, but it's not a job that requires any sort of higher education.) YOU understood them, so what's the big deal?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

#9Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:39pm

Sorry. i guess I left a lot out due to time.
But yes, they were talking, running across the back during the scenes. Speaking in slang wasn't much the problem, it was the content of what they were talking about. When you're throwing in some yo's and ****s around loosely the way you talk to your homey on the street..i have a problem with that.

I'm am 'down with it' as much as the next person.
But there is a time and place for that kind of stuff- and I don't need to see you grabbing your crotch and adjusting your business unless it's in the back of a dark room in a bar.

I respect the theater, respect my fellow audience member and fellow patrons who save their pennies to enjoy 2 hours of entertainment. In those two hours, people should behave accordingly. And that should clearly begin with the ushers.

You may not need a full education to be an usher, like one of you said, but you need to at least learn to respect your appearance, demeanor and respect the space.

Volunteer or not- it makes no difference in having manners and following a certain line of conduct. Period.

A training session from the Roundabout- could very well be appreciated and beneficial. And trust me, they already got my letter about it.

The theater is a full on experience. And it starts with the ushers. No matter how long you interact with them. Common courtesy, manners and appropriate language is expected and not having to hear about how you 'smoked up' the night before, would be appreciated.

Im just sayin, Roundabout should screen their volunteers a little more and spend more time on the orientation/training sessions.

Updated On: 10/21/12 at 01:39 PM

tmbyru Profile Photo
tmbyru
#10Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:40pm

Seriously complaining when someone asked you if you enjoyed the show?

#11Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:44pm

no. not complaining- i just wished it was in a language that was understandable.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#12Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:45pm

It seems like you did understand, since you provided your translations in your first post.

#13Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 2:26pm

Yes Phyllis. Updated On: 10/21/12 at 02:26 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#14Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 2:43pm

You're welcome.

leefowler
#15Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 3:07pm

Taboo, I sympathize with your complaints, but I still have a feeling you're not "'as down with it' as the next person".

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

veraclaythorne
#16Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 3:55pm

I actually used to work as an usher at Studio 54. There was a core House Staff comprised of college-age kids, middle-aged folk, and older people who needed to supplement their income. We were from a variety of backgrounds and educational levels, and certainly had different styles of speech and reasons for working there, but all the people I worked with were nothing but kind when dealing with patrons. It's been many years since then, but on all the return visits I've had as a playgoer, I've seen/heard nothing to complain about. Sorry you had a different experience.

#17Hiring Usher Staff at Studio 54/Roundabout/Drood
Posted: 10/21/12 at 4:47pm

Leefowler

I go Rollin with da homies. As much as any. Watch whatcha say
Or I can bust an ass with a cap

:p Updated On: 10/21/12 at 04:47 PM

Videos