pixeltracker

Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?

Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?

geissap
#1Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 2:17pm

The wife and I are coming for 4 nights and we wanna see a few shows here is what we've seen and how i'd rate them to give you guys some ideas of what we like.

Our Favorites
1. Wicked
2. Newsies
3. Priscilla Queen of the Desert
4. Mary Poppins

We liked these but they didn't make our top 4
5. How to Succeed in Business Without Trying
6. Traces
7. Spider Man Turn off The Dark

These Were Just Ok
8. Memphis
9. Lion King
10. Avenue Q
11. Warhorse

Just didn't get it?
12. Sleep No More

Based on that does anyone have any recommendations? We're thinking about Elf for sure simply because we love the movie but outside of that not really sure?

Updated On: 12/15/12 at 02:17 PM

ajh
#2Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 2:46pm

Definitely see The Mystery Of Edwin Drood, gorgeous production of a fun show and with a dazzling cast; if you fancy something poppier you could do alot worse than Bring It On....I thought it was really exhilarating.

geissap
#2Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 3:00pm

Wow. Thanks for the recommendation. The Mystery of Edwin Drood was one I had been skimming over but it actually looks pretty good and it looks like I can pick up cheap rush tickets for it as well. HIptix has tickets for $22 is this a big theater would mid mezzanine be awful you think?

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#3Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 3:44pm

I agree with ajh, The Mystery of Edwin Drood is great. Jersey Boys is fun as well. A Christmas Story isn't the best show, but a fun holiday treat.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#4Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 3:47pm

I will say this to everyone, DO NOT MISS EDWIN DROOD. For reals. I agree that Jersey Boys is good fun is you haven't seen it, though tickets may be a harder get than Drood. I also loved this revival of ANNIE.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:16pm

Drood, definitely but if you're coming in before it closes, Peter and the Starcatcher. It's such a fun, joyful production.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#6Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:30pm

It's a relatively small theater and the view from the mid mezz is fine though the leg room is horrendous. Don't miss Edwin Drood.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

geissap
#7Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:36pm

Thanks broadwaydevil. We're coming Dec 19-23rd. I have heard alot about peter and the starcatcher on here, but I have a tough time even comprehending a production with no music? But that's an easy one to get tickets to also. I think that one is on TDF for my dates.

Hmm after looking at the seating chart I think I lied. I think the hiptix tickets for drood are actually balcony and it's not exactly mid. It's like LL which is pretty much as high as you can get lol. So maybe i'll go for tickets at general rush or student rush instead in hopes of better seats.

Updated On: 12/15/12 at 04:36 PM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#8Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:39pm

Though I will just add that Edwin Drood has a good discount on Broadway Box that brings the top ticket down to 89$. To me, the view from the orchestra and the proximity to the bulk of the audience interaction is worth the splurge, but if your budget is tight, don't worry, the view from the mezz is more than fine. I sat there the first time I saw the show and didn't miss a thing.

broadwaydevil
#9Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:39pm

Typically more than half the shows playing on Broadway are straight plays at any given moment (or have "no music" as you put it.) They tend not to be flashy tourist affairs because most tourists associate Broadway with big chorus lines, Phantom, Wicked, and the Lion King. Obviously there's much more to theatre and Broadway in particular than that.

Peter and the Starcatcher is a really touching show but based on your description of what you enjoyed I have a sense you may not like it.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

geissap
#10Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:40pm

Thanks Kelly. I just edited my last post. Anyone have any ideas what kinda tix people are getting with general rush?

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#11Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:41pm

I've heard of people getting seats in the sides/rear of the orchestra and of seats being primarily in the mezz. I haven't done it but it sounds like it's a toss-up and depends mostly on what's available on the date you choose to go.

little_sally
#12Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:46pm

So, you have a hard time comprehending plays? I'm not being nasty, I just need some clarification. If it's any consolation, Peter was nominated for best score so there is music.

geissap
#13Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:46pm

Kelly you're great! Thanks again. I think I'll definitely run the gamble then on general rush instead of hiptix.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#14Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:50pm

No problem :) Glad you're going to check it out, I think you'll really have a wonderful time.

geissap
#15Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:51pm

There was a bit of a hyperbole in there sally. I mean I get it. Warhorse was considered a play. We just really like the "musical live-singing" aspect of the shows we've seen. I mean if you look at my top 4 you can kinda tell. I'm definitely open to the idea, I've added it to my list for sure. Alot of people talk about peter and the starcatcher on here.

You guys have convinced me on Edwin Drood. I have one more slot and it'll be either Peter and the Starcatcher, Jersey Boys or Nice Work If You Can Get It. But no ones mentioned that last one so that's slowly fading off my list haha. I'll play the lotto/rush/tkts game and I'm thinking whatever works out as the best deal is what I'll end up going with.

broadwaydevil
#16Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 4:53pm

^I despised Nice Work if You Can Get It. There are a few who like it but I'd say most are lukewarm at best about it. From that list, I'd pick Peter and the Starcatcher though if you haven't seen Jersey Boys my guess is you'd probably prefer that.

little_sally
#17Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 5:04pm

If I had to pick two out of those three, I'd leave off Nice Work. I found it bland and unforgettable. I don't particularly like Jersey Boys either but I think you'd enjoy it based on what you like.

geissap
#18Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 9:35pm

So we'll get in sometime around noonish on Wednesday November 19th. Do you think it'll be possible to score general/student rush for either Drood or Jersey Boys? Or no freaking way they'll all be gone right at 10?

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#19Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 9:42pm

DROOD has a few different options for rush from what I can see. Half an hour before the show, half price tickets (best avail), 1 per student ID, general rush when the box office opens for primarily mezz seats for $32.50, and of course Hiptix. I can't imagine that all of these options would be unavailable to you.

No idea re: Jersey Boys.

geissap
#20Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/15/12 at 9:44pm

I was just reading about the harsh language in Jersey Boys. My wife hates watching movies where every other word is the F word that might've just got voted off. Might be Peter and the Starcatcher and Drood now.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#21Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/16/12 at 6:36pm

If you and your wife like slapstick or screwball comedy, I wholeheartedly recommend Nice Work. Judy Kaye and Michael McGrath both won Tony awards for their performances, and it is delightful to hear Kelli O'Hara sing the Gershwin songs. So glad you're going to The Mystery of Edwin Drood-- definitely loads of fun!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/16/12 at 6:56pm

I'd suggest Drood and Peter. Peter is a play with music, and a decent amount of it. NOt quite a musical, but touching and it will make you feel like a child in the best way possible.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#23Help me pick some shows for my Christmas visit please?
Posted: 12/16/12 at 6:59pm

IMO you can't go wrong with Drood and Peter. Two of my favorite productions this year.

Videos