pixeltracker

Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time. - Page 11

Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#250Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 12:48pm

Well good Carlos. I was not aiming that at you.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#251Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 12:50pm

This thread isn't a critics thread. We have plenty of those, and I've weighed in on my opinion of it as well.

Why do I care (and perhaps others)?

I'm less concerned with actual dollars than I am with how many people are seeing it in this country and around the world. And even if my opinion of this film is mixed, I'm definitely thrilled to see a major movie musical do well in today's world. It opens doors to future projects.

That's reason enough to be interested, IMO.

And yes, I was even happy to see Mamma Mia! do well. It's not remotely my favorite show or favorite movie musical, but it helps pave the way to others getting a green light (including Les Miz).

It's a good thing.

As far as it catching up to Grease, it's not likely, and if you do "adjusted dollars" it isn't even remotely possible. I don't think people here realize just how huge that movie was (I'm talking about number of people who saw it). It was a phenomenal success.

And The Sound of Music's worldwide success (as far as number of people who saw it) even leaves Avatar in the dust, so that's beyond reach, too.

EDIT: And both movies came out before home video, streaming, etc. It was a different world entirely back then.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/14/13 at 12:50 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#252Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 12:51pm

Oh sorry. I thought you were aiming collectively. My bad.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#253Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 12:51pm

"why are you so intent on diminishing the obvious success of this film?"

Not only do I not see anyone doing anything remotely of the kind, this response seems defensive and ignores the question posed: do you really need to focus on ticket sales to justify your love for the film? Isn't your opinion enough?

"People are invested in how much Les Mis makes because its success would pave the way for more movie musicals to be made."

That sort of happened after Chicago already, didn't it? With the awful Rent and Phantom of the Opera movies as a result (and the fun Hairspray movie).

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#254Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 12:55pm

Box office success doesn't equal quality and never has.

Sometimes good movies do well, other times they tank. Sometimes horrible movies do well, other times they tank.

But Hollywood loves a "hit," and they look to imitate success anyway they know how. If Les Miz, largely a through-sung "classical" period piece film, can bring in lots of people, producers and studios aren't as afraid to try another one out, simple as that.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#255Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 12:56pm

Carlos.. It was more the general sense I was getting. Bestie... I think the original poster had said at some point in this thread that she wasn't going by the "adjusted" dollar. But I am glad it has been mentioned in the discussion. Like you I am very pleased with the success of LM as well As MM for those very same reasons. I think the life of movie musicals will still be dependent on the success of the previous one for some time to come. So I am really glad les Miz is doing well. And Newsintown.. perhaps you should re read the thread.

Updated On: 1/14/13 at 12:56 PM

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#256Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 1:03pm

Newintown;
Perhaps your eyes just skipped the many postings on this thread by metropolis10111?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#257Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 1:08pm

I confess that I didn't read all 10 previous pages.

My (serious) question still hasn't really been answered, but I see it makes some people quite sore...

Wildcard
#258Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 1:10pm

"That sort of happened after Chicago already, didn't it? With the awful Rent and Phantom of the Opera movies as a result (and the fun Hairspray movie)."

Yes but the musical genre always seems to be an iffy proposition to the studios. There is still a belief that the audience doesn't get it. We definitely have not seen the same kind of explosion superhero movies have received. Likewise, I still hear from people that they don't get musicals -- that it's unnatural for people to start singing in the middle of dialogue (or in the case of Les Mis, why the whole thing had to be sung). Yet these same people can readily accept a superhero flying into the sky battling aliens. That Les Mis is completely sung-through and successful makes it worthy to be cheered for its achievements.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#259Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 1:11pm

My apologies. Your question is "do you really need to focus on ticket sales to justify your love for the film? Isn't your opinion enough?

My opinion is enough. I loved the film. But for the purposes of this thread I find the discussion of ticket sales to be very informative and entertaining.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#260Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 1:20pm

I read that Mackintosh says he'll make a Miss Saigon movie if Les Miserables reaches a $500M global gross.

Dame, et al. - do you have a cutout thermometer in your living room, with the mercury marks rising to $500M?
Cam and $500M

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#261Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 1:24pm

Ha! No.. but a cyber one would be fun. Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#263Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 7:23pm

Great read. However I do still think it is possible. But usually Variety is right on.

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#264Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 7:30pm

They're remaking Annie *again*?? Aren't there already like three filmed versions of that show out there already?

jo
#265Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 8:50pm

Maybe Variety should have interviewed someone else other than Adam Shankman whose recent ROCK OF AGES was not well-received by critics or the box office?

Also, wouldn't the movie theme be more relevant in enticing regular audiences now? Mamma Mia! was set in glorious summertime Greece about a lighthearted young love story - that appeals to a certain demos ( female demos, young people) while Les Miserables probably skews towards a more mature audience ( and even possibly some male demos) and is relevant to some universal themes. Also, international audiences ( which now comprise the bulk of worldwide audiences) may have some distinct preferences ( I think Mamma Mia! and Les Miserables worked or working in overseas markets as it did or is doing in the USA/UK) in terms of musicals. Not too sure that a musical like WICKED will have as broad an appeal for the rest of the overseas viewers?

Updated On: 1/14/13 at 08:50 PM

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#266Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 9:07pm

I do believe there is still a big chance for musicals to be hits at the box office, the challenge is picking the right shows to film. Golden Age musicals were widely succesful mainly due to the fact that they reflected the times and their songs and musical numbers were considered the popular music of the time. As much as I love the Gene Kelly and Vincent Minnelli classics unfortunately our casual, minimalistic, and 'reality' loving generation does not appreciate monumental production numbers or classic family entertainment. Les Mis, In my opinion was filmed in a very modern style, the music while bordering on operatic still sounds current and the themes although originally written for a 19th century audience remain universal. I think there are some Sondheims and Webbers which with the right director and stars could be very successful. Also Wicked would be just SENSATIONAL!! As would Sunset Boulevard. Definitely not up for another Annie though...

jo
#267Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/14/13 at 9:48pm

A remake of the film noir Sunset Boulevard or a filmization of the stage musical version of Sunset Boulevard will likely attract a strong-sized movie audience. Hope someone has either one on his mind, if he were a Hollywood mover or shaker!

CarlosAlberto
#268Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/15/13 at 8:15am

PHOTO DISCLAIMER: I thought it was funny so I had to share. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade by posting this to this thread. Lighten up and have a sense of humor. The reality is the film may very well become the highest grossing musical of all time if it continues to sell tickets the way it has been so far. So stop being so damned serious, get the stick out your butt, smile, enjoy life and have a nice day! Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.

CarlosAlberto
#269Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/15/13 at 8:26am

BOOTLEGGERS are so creative!

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#270Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/15/13 at 9:46am

While yes I am glad to see a movie musical doing well I still stand my original posts that this will NOT be the highest grossing movie musical of all time. I think it's total world wide will come to about 330-350mil which is very good but still ways away, ticket sales wise, from the #1 spot. I think that the GG will maybe bump the box office a little they tend to help more the Drama picture winner because, lets face it, that is where typically the real Best Picture winner comes from.

I'm not trying to pee in anyones corn flakes I do hope this will get other musicals green lighted and on their way.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#271Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/15/13 at 4:30pm

You have to be careful because we don't live in a world where every stage production turns into a great film adaptation," Shankman said.
Tru dat. ( ALTHO IN HINDSIGHT)

Plum
#272Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/15/13 at 5:51pm

Adam Shankman, with words of wisdom. Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.

Anyway Les Mis doesn't need to be the all-time highest anything to be a precedent for more musical films - it just needs to be a hit, which it looks like it'll achieve handily, no?

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#273Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/15/13 at 6:13pm

As a long time 'Mis' nut, with both a sense of humor and as an even nuttier musical theatre fan, go ahead and pee pee into my Cheerios.

Nothing wrong with the humor, $$$$ talk, and #1 thing. I don't personally care about its rank financially or popularly, but at least people aren't committing the ultimate sin by making unsound, moronic arguments from ignorant perspectives.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with its success and very happy for Cammack and co. May they continue their success with the film version of Miss Saigon.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#274Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.
Posted: 1/17/13 at 5:56pm

Kicking all kinds of ass in Europe.