pixeltracker

Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball

Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball

jo
#1Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 3:29am

Hugh Jackman was the guest performer for this year's anniversary gala of the Philadelphia Orchestra on January 26.

Someone uploaded his rendition of WHO AM I - which is quite similar to the movie interpretation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AxAh08_ngI

Updated On: 1/28/13 at 03:29 AM

Dave19
#2Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 7:12am

Thanks for posting.

I have to say I don't like it at all. Just as strained as in the film and his timing is way off again. Every note and placement he tries just fails. Or it sounds really forced and strained.

As for the timing:

Heee-gaaave-meeee-hooope-wheeeen-hoooope-waaaas-gone. Does NOT work if you give all the words the same length. Very amateurish.

And I miss the overal relaxation/lower parts in his voice. Actually also the high parts,

This also makes his acting (in the film too) feel a bit fake, but, oh well.........

Updated On: 1/28/13 at 07:12 AM

mamaleh
#2Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 12:03pm

Could not disagree more. His performance Saturday evening (I was there) was masterful, including a very powerful and note-perfect "Who Am I?". He made the song his, not relying on anyone else's emphases or choices. I'd call the Philly Symphony audience pretty discerning, and their response was wildly enthusiastic. 'Nuff said.

Those who can't, gripe.

willep
#3Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 1:43pm

What venue was that in? It doesn't look familiar to me.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#4Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 1:47pm

i'm surprised at the backlash of his phrasing. It's one of my favorite things about his performance, honestly. It makes the score sound fresh again - something I didn't think possible.

jimmycurry01
#5Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 1:58pm

Some people need to keep in mind that Hugh Jackman was a very accomplished star of musical theatre long before he gained fame on the big screen. He is not simply a film actor pretending he can suddenly sing. I would hardly call him amateurish.

Wildcard
#6Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 2:50pm

One person not liking the phrasing is hardly a backlash

mamaleh
#7Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 3:15pm

It was held at the stately Academy of Music in downtown Philadelphia. The acoustics were fantastic!

willep
#8Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 4:18pm

Weird, I was just in there a week or so ago and it looked very different. They must have done it up for the occasion.

grandpianoalex
#9Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/28/13 at 10:54pm

This is lowered a minor third..... that last note is an A-flat instead of a B.

#10Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/30/13 at 7:17pm

Sorry Don't mean to Pull Rank Javert but this is Who Am I?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPIos2mXbUE

broadway guy
#11Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/30/13 at 9:21pm

No offense but anyone who thinks Jackman sounds "Amateurish" in this clip,needs to get their ears checked.He sounds Beautiful in this.Better Than the Movie..

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#12Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/31/13 at 9:35am

I don't know, I'm on the same page with people who feel Jackman's placement is almost outrageously forward and sounds strained/forced. I wouldn't say he's not talented and I appreciate his dedication to his craft and to the Broadway stage, but he was probably one of my least favorite singers in the film. Even with Eddie's head shaking and Russel's lack of any sort of vocal inflection. He's over-hyped as a vocalist, in my opinion.

EDIT: I went and rewatched the clip that started this thread and will take back most of my strained comment (for this clip, at least.) I just don't find him all THAT interesting as a vocalist. Updated On: 1/31/13 at 09:35 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#13Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 1/31/13 at 10:10am

I agree, and I saw Back on Broadway. As a performer overall, he's incredibly engaging, charming and dedicated, but I'm not into his singing voice.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

#14Jackman sings WHO AM I at Philadelphia Orchestra anniversary ball
Posted: 2/1/13 at 1:02pm

He is amazing (loved Boy from Oz and listen frequently to Oklahoma Soundtrack),Just not his JVJ.

Videos