OBC of Les Miz

Leadingplayer
#1OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 2:54am

Anyone see it? Remembrances? Who was good. Who wasn't?

Updated On: 2/24/13 at 02:54 AM

KylePKJP Profile Photo
KylePKJP
#2OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 3:19am

Frances Ruffelle stuck it to AEA for all the hassle they gave her about reprising her role on Broadway when she got the Tony.
Colm, as well was fantastic. But the cast as a whole didn't hold a candle to the OLC.

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#2OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 10:56am

Frances Rufelle really makes me want to claw my ears out, she sounds like a dying cat. That is all.

"Nice is different than good."

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#3OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 11:20am

But did you *see* her play that role?

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#4OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 12:27pm

No... -hides in shame- My mother did though, she liked her.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#5OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 12:40pm

I saw Frances Ruffele! She was magnificent! She *is* Eponine.

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#6OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 12:47pm

I didn't get to see the OBC, but I much prefer the OBCR to the OLCR, even though I heard the latter first. Most people seem to prefer the London recording, but I find the Broadway recording better sung and acted (especially from the ensemble - the smaller roles like the Bishop, Foreman, Whores, Students, et al.), better paced, and has more life in it. I even prefer Randy Graff's Fantine to Patti's. The one exception is Michael Ball's Marius, which is much better than David Bryant on the OBC.

PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
#7OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 1:40pm

I do understand what Emma White is saying, but in all fairness to Frances Ruffelle, Victor Hugo describes Eponine's voice as raspy and sounding like an old man (NOT that Frances's voice is such), so to have a non-traditional sounding voice, to me, makes sense, and I appreciate her take on the character.

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#8OBC of Les Miz
Posted: 2/24/13 at 2:50pm

From what I've seen of her (not much), she actually seems to be a very good actress and she does seem to understand the part. I own both the OLC and OBC recordings and I have to skip through her songs.