#4PASSION Reviews
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:22pm

Major rave from Brantley.

NYT Review

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
#5PASSION Reviews
Posted: 2/28/13 at 11:20pm

CSC has done right by Sondheim's creepy love story...thanks to intimate staging and first-rate vocal performances...
Passion Review

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6PASSION Reviews
Posted: 2/28/13 at 11:28pm

Does this production use the "I Love Fosca" version of No One Has Ever Loved Me?

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#7PASSION Reviews
Posted: 2/28/13 at 11:40pm

ljay - nope, unfortunately.... Has it ever been used outside of the London production?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8PASSION Reviews
Posted: 2/28/13 at 11:41pm

I believe it was used in Chicago and DC productions.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#9PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 12:32am

Wasn't it used at the Donmar too? And I think it was used in the LuPone televised semi staged version...

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#10PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 12:50am

The commentary on the DVD suggests that after seeing Cerveris perform the song, the creators realised it was wrong for the show, so don't expect to see it again, unless they change their minds again.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#11PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 2:13am

I'm mixed on its inclusion myself. It's been a while since I've watched the DVD with commentary (though I didn't realize it was recorded after the Concert showing)--so it's not an option in the rental material?

Derrickg
#12PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 5:23am

The DVD of the original Broadway cast was released in the summer of 2003, so the commentary is from after the KC production, which is the last time "I Love Fosca" was used, as far as I can tell.

It was not in the Lincoln Center concert, the Chicago Shakespeare production, or the Donmar.

After Eight
#13PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 7:09am

"Major rave from Brantley. "

Now, whodathunkit?!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 10:45am

Brantley really went for Doyle's Company, and he gave Sweeney a good review, too. So I'm pleased, but not surprised.

Gotta get home to see this.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Owen22
#15PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 10:45am

I'm a little surprised at how complacent this site is about a revival of Stephen "God" Sondheim's most problematic (besides "Roadshow") work. And the exquisite, piece defining staging that is happening right now at CSC.

And a staged concert of "Carousel" gets pages and pages of print.

I have seen "Passion" over half a dozen times, from Broadway to DC to London to a tiny LA production. I've gone from disliking to admiring the piece, but it has never moved me as I always felt "Passion" should.

This production left me in a puddle. Go. See. Now.

ajh
#16PASSION Reviews
Posted: 3/1/13 at 11:39am

Owen22, I agree with you. I saw the original B'way Passion on DVD but saw the original London, and first and second London revivals 'live' and none of them moved me as much as this current production. I didn't like Doyles' take on Sweeney at all and I felt Company had some issues. This though I think is an exquisite rendering of a tricky but rewarding piece.

The piece will always divide people though, however well or badly it's done. I saw it with 3 friends: 2 of us loved it, 1 loved the staging but didn't like the piece and the 4th hated absolutely everything about it.