Mr. Selfridge

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#25Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 6:45am

Goth, they jumped several years with Downton Abbey at both the beginning AND the end of this last season. Upstairs, Downstairs did the same thing in the '70s. It's nothing new with shows like this.

Mrs. Selfridge may look familiar to you if you've seen either "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" or "Mansfield Park." Frances O'Connor had leading roles in both films.

I'm loving Polly Walker as a new addition to Selfridge this season. I remember her from the movie Enchanted April, among other things.

EDIT: And Huss417, I appreciate the lack of spoilers! Many thanks.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 4/2/14 at 06:45 AM

Gothampc
#26Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 11:52am

"Goth, they jumped several years with Downton Abbey at both the beginning AND the end of this last season. Upstairs, Downstairs did the same thing in the '70s. It's nothing new with shows like this."

Yes, I know, this is nothing new. Remember in the 1980s when Family Ties jumped? One year Meredith Baxter had a baby, then the next season the kid was five years old, walking around and throwing out punchlines to Michael J. Fox's setup.

And Upstairs Downstairs really pushed the limits. In the last episode, it's 30 years later. Mr. Hudson and Mrs. Bridges wouldn't have been able to make it up the stairs to the Morning Room much less move away and run a boarding house by the sea.

I know these shows do it to take advantage of historical events, to change up the look and costumes of the show, to freshen it up, and for British audiences they have to keep time moving if they do a Christmas episode every year, but I wouldn't mind if they spent two or three seasons in the same general time period.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#27Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 4:24pm

I booked an appointment at the barbers in Liberty and asked for a beard trim that would make me look like Mr Selfridge.

With hindsight I can see what a stupid thing this was to do.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#28Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 6:46pm

I have to say, it's funny to watch these jumps in time on Up/Down, Downton Abbey, etc. The clothes change with the period, but nobody ages. The only person I remember aging even slightly was the son (who kills himself) in Upstairs, Downstairs. He at least got grey at the temples and his mustache changed. His own father looked exactly the same for the entire show.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#29Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 7:06pm

^ If you count the revival of Upstairs Downstairs, set in 1936, Rose aged a few decades in only six years. Must've been air pollution or something.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Gothampc
#30Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 7:31pm

"He at least got grey at the temples and his mustache changed."

I love how in the show James is always stroking his mustache. Simon Williams said he had to do that because at times he could feel the mustache beginning to come unglued.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#31Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 9:29pm

Let's not count the revival of Upstairs/Downstairs Mr. Selfridge I like even the comic spin-off MUCH more... Wasted opportunity.

I think the time jump in Family Ties (how I loved that show as a kid--I wanted to BE Michael Keaton...) is totally different, though. It's simply the soap opera cliche, SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome--even the soap writers use the term now.) Except in soaps they don't want the cute sarcastic kid that sitcoms tend to, and so they use it to age kids into teens so they can give them story (usually after spending two months away at boarding school.) It's just a device to get the kid to an age they want to write for--the era doesn't jump.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#32Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 9:31pm

It's like Benjamin Button in reverse.

And sideways.

EricMontreal22
#33Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/2/14 at 9:33pm

Downton should take note and SORAS Mary, Sybil and Edith's (future) kid. And they can have an epic teen love triangle complete with incest and bisexuality! George Crowley and Sybie Crowley, cousins can both fall for that intriguing farmgirl on their property little knowing she is their cousin! Man, I should write these shows.

(Oh and Scripps, please show us a picture of you with with a Selfridge beard. Thank you.)

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#34Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/6/14 at 8:23am

Eric: for some people, it is better to experience my beard rather than merely view it.

Gothampc
#35Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/6/14 at 10:45am

"George Crowley and Sybie Crowley, cousins can both fall for that intriguing farmgirl on their property little knowing she is their cousin!"

Julian Fellowes is all over the place in his writing. I keep thinking they should bring Ethel's child back. They spent more story time on that plot than they did on Mrs. Patmore's blindness or Mrs. Hughes' breast cancer.

I saw in the grocery store that Republic of Tea has a line of teas based on Downton Abbey. Maybe Mr. Selfridge should get in the picture and market some product with Piven's picture on it.

Gothampc
#36Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/6/14 at 9:29pm

How come the actor who plays Gordon doesn't even attempt an American accent?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#37Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/6/14 at 11:58pm

" I may have to start watching DOCTOR WHO."

Like that is a bad thing???

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#38Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/9/14 at 9:43pm

I think Frances O'Connor looks uncannily like Jessica Harper.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#39Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/10/14 at 6:30am

Jessica Harper:

Frances O'Connor:

Sally Field:

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#40Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/11/14 at 7:53pm

In that picture, Frances is very reminiscent of Mary-Louise Parker as well.

EricMontreal22
#41Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/22/14 at 7:16pm

Gotham--George grew up largely in England, and in boarding schools. It's not too strange to have a slight UK accent.

Are people still watching? I enjoy the show in a very light way, but there doesn't seem to be too much story momentum right now at all. Which makes for nice Sunday night viewing (especially after Mad Men or Game of Thrones) but with three or four episodes left... Some of the writing just feels arbitrary like Agnes is kinda jealous because Victor got a girlfriend when she was gone (or seemed to?) but then the girlfriend just decided to go back to Italy so drama averted.

I do like some of the additions to the cast (it's funny seeing Sean Teale from Skins playing Franco and yes, Polly Walker is a joy to watch although the direction her story seems to be heading feels disappointing...)

Gothampc
#42Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/22/14 at 11:35pm

How realistic is his love for England? Now that the show is in the war years, it seems strange that an American is saying things like "For King & Country" when the guys go off to war.

EricMontreal22
#43Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/23/14 at 1:42am

Fromthe PBS docu that aired after one episode, apparently that IS a detail that was pretty realistic. Selfridge never wanted to leave England and worked hard to try to be part of their high society.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#44Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/23/14 at 7:11am

I'm still watching and still enjoying the show. It's done a bit of what Downton Abbey did earlier this season ... started interesting plot lines that either fizzled out or disappeared entirely with no explanation.

I'm not sure where this A.D.D. trend in narrative writing started, but it's seriously annoying. Downton Abbey is by far the worst offender of the two, but Selfridge started out this season, as well, with some great prospects that quickly evaporated.

I do like the additions of Lord Loxley and Delphine. They added some much-needed spice to the storylines. But I'm not sure what Delphine is up to now. She seems to be in some weird plan to make Mrs. Selfridge jealous. But no one is in on it but her.

I love Miss Mardle inheriting the house and income, but that plot line isn't being developed as much as it should. It seems like no one at the store realizes she's independently wealthy now and doesn't have to work for a living ... but she chooses to. There should be some interesting dynamics going on with her coworkers, but there isn't.

I'm curious how closely they will be sticking to the real-life major events in Selfridge's life. If so, this season should end with some pretty big changes. (No spoilers please!)

Overall, I think this show was stronger this year than Downton Abbey (which seriously disappointed me this season).

The best part is I don't have to choose. I can watch them both, beginning in January and continuing through the spring. These are pretty much the ONLY serialized TV shows I watch these days. And considering that nearly all dramatic and comedic TV shows are serialized now, you can do the math. This is it, for me. Everything else is HGTV, PBS, or my Blu-ray and DVD collection of movies.

One last remark ... and I did mention it earlier, but as the season progresses, it's even more apparent ... Mr. Selfridge has Downton Abbey beat completely in cinematography, art direction, and costumes. They are the best that TV has to offer these days. As good as Downton Abbey is, it pales in comparison. I wish these efforts would be recognized with Emmy Awards. They would be well deserved, but I doubt enough voters are watching Selfridge. It's truly the best eye candy on TV.

EricMontreal22
#45Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/23/14 at 2:29pm

I agree 100% with your first three paragraphs (and was going to mention that this thing with stories seemingly just to be dropped has become a greater problem with Downton.) Unlike DOwnton and the majority of UK TV, creator Andrew Davies (who no doubt has 15 lit adaptations in the works, as he often does) does not script every episode, and this season he only co-scripted one, although I'm not sure that's the issue.

I still enjoy it a lot, and I do agree with you about the production designs.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#46Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 4/23/14 at 6:01pm

"How realistic is his love for England?..."

I think he knew which side (of the Atlantic) his bread was buttered.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#47Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 5/20/14 at 9:56pm

Just watched the season finale (both parts), and this show was WAY better than Downton Abbey this year. The last hour was very emotional. Kudos to all involved, especially the writing.

Okay, everything else, too---acting, directing, cinematography, art direction, costumes, music, etc.

They really outdid themselves.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#48Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 5/20/14 at 11:39pm

As much as I love Downton Abbey, I have to say, I enjoyed Mr. Selfridge more. The one thing about the season finale last night is that it seemed to tie up most of the story lines. Will there be a season 3?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#49Mr. Selfridge
Posted: 5/21/14 at 5:58am

Yes, Season 3 has already been announced. Mr. Selfridge