pixeltracker

Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?

Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?

broadway guy
#1Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:24am

I think Patina Miller has a great shot at winning the tony this year. Thoughts?

Updated On: 4/20/13 at 09:24 AM

Owen22
#2Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:27am

Don't count out the Matildas...

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:31am

It will be neck and neck between the Matildas and Patina. I don't even know who'd I'd vote for at this point.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

broadway guy
#3Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:32am

Yeah but IMO ( which means jack sh#t) is that Patina Just deserves it more. Those little girls are amazing but Patina is getting great reviews and it wouldn't be the first time this role has won someone a tony Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now? Those aren't great reasons on why she should win, i just really want her to win lol I'm clearly biased..

Ed_Mottershead
#4Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:46am

I've had this conversation with myself, but, based on what I've seen, I think Patina Miller should get it -- deservedly so, if for no other reason than that she shows up 8 times a week.

BroadwayEd

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:52am

I haven't seen PIPPIN yet but a Tony awar for the Matilda's would royally piss me off.

broadway guy
#6Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:52am

Exactly. This role seems like a workout and she does it 8 times a week! She really should get a tony for completing act 1 8 times a week Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?

broadway guy
#7Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:53am

Matilda already has Best Musical in the bag, isn't that enough?

Updated On: 4/20/13 at 09:53 AM

Jordan Catalano
#8Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:57am

That would piss me off, as well.

WhizzerMarvin
#9Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:07am

I think the Matildas are completely deserving of the Tony, even if my heart sometimes roots for Patina to beat them. The four young actresses are doing astounding work, and I know they only performance twice a week, but the remarkable work is hard to ignore.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

broadway guy
#10Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:16am

I mean, Is it really THAT remarkable? Like you said, they only go on twice a week. Yes they are young and are great at the moment but it's not like they are dancing their hearts out like the boys in Billy Elliot.

tylano8453
#11Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:20am

they carry the show...they definitely deserve it.

Jordan Catalano
#12Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:21am

Other actresses carry other shows. Do they not deserve it?

broadway guy
#13Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:22am

Yeah, THEY carry the show.....

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#14Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:23am

Any actress who can be replaced during a performance as the show progresses IMO doesn't deserve a Tony. It's the role that will nominated, not them.

WhizzerMarvin
#15Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?

Yes, I believe they really are that remarkable. None of three original were particularly good singers; their acting was strong, but they were chosen for their dancing abilities.

The Matildas are better singers, despite being younger, and have acted circles around many adult performances I've seen this year.

I liked Billy Elliot a lot and enjoyed the performances of the three winners, but I think the four Matildas are wildly good. Maybe the best child performances I've seen.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#16Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?

They have a lot of stage time and handle it professionally. That's about it. The fact that FOUR of them can do the show at the same level proves their performance isn't that outstanding.

To me, I believe that I shouldn't be able to imagine anyone else playing the role as well. In Matilda (AND Billy Elliot) I don't have to even IMAGINE it -- it's there in flesh and blood.

Jordan -- A Tony award for the Matilda's WHAT would piss you off?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#17Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:25am

I disagree that it will be between "The Matildas" (doesn't that sound like a circus act?) and Miller. I just don't see the Committee nominating four girls after the criticism it received after Billy Elliot, though the Committee has never been a group to display that much rational thought.

I think that it will be come down to Miller and Laura Osnes, who seems to have been forgotten in this thread but who gives a perfect and classic Broadway star performance as Cinderella.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

WhizzerMarvin
#18Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:26am

all that jazz, So you're saying that Patti shouldn't have won the Tony for Evita because someone replaced her mid-performance one time and the show went on?

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#19Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:27am

I am also torn between Patina and the Matildas but I could not take my eyes off Patina! She commands that stage and just radiates power and sex. I hope Patina wins.

broadway guy
#20Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:27am

Okay so can't the same be said about The kids playing Annie? Are they getting Tony Buzz?

"To me, I believe that I shouldn't be able to imagine anyone else playing the role as well. In Matilda (AND Billy Elliot) I don't have to even IMAGINE it -- it's there in flesh and blood."

I agree. The girls are fine but Hardly deserving of a tony IMO. I haven't seen the full show so I guess I can't fully judge but the fact that their are 4 of them says a lot

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#21Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:30am

Jazz...underderstudies are indeed called on to take over a performance mid way. Actor's get hurt and sick and have emergencies just like real people.

Someone was replaced the first time I saw Newsies, and someone (John Gallagher, I think) was replaced mid-show at Spring Awakening.

While not commonplace, it certainly isn't rare.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadway guy
#22Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:33am

For all of you saying the Matildas should win, what about the Annies? Shouldn't they be getting the same treatment? I just think there are more deserving performances this year. Broadway clearly loves givng 10 year olds tony awards so the matildas might win but I would be so happy if Patina Or Laura won.

Updated On: 4/20/13 at 10:33 AM

Jordan Catalano
#23Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:36am

I find the fact that you people aren't even considering Carolee worthy of the award absolutely disgusting.

Owen22
#24Is Patina Miller the frontrunner for Lead actress right now?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:37am

The one problem with Patina (and its not her fault) is that those songs were written to be pitched in the voice of a male. A tenor. Everytime she sang I was disappointed. Again, not her fault, she was magnetic in every other way.