pixeltracker

Megan Hilty's (Ivy) Don't Forget Me- Page 2

Megan Hilty's (Ivy) Don't Forget Me

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#25Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 11:35am

I know what you mean about the lyrics but I thought they were actually good "Marilyn-isms"--ways she might refer to "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" or "Happy Birthday, Mr, President."

But mostly I can't get the sound of Megan Hilty doing the key change out of my head.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#26Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 12:49pm

The MP3 from Marc's fb seems to not be working, if anyone has another link I'd love you forever.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 1:04pm

No, I had no idea, thanks for pointing that out in such a kind way, it's not like I've watched and rewatched every single episode of the series. Regardless, my comment had nothing to do with the song being upbeat or not, my point was that Hilty knows how to emote and find subtlety in the lyrics, whereas McPhee made the lyrics seem weak.
PalJoey, I will say that Hilty made the lyrics seem a lot less contrived, and the staging with the men around her made a lot more sense, it contextualized the song/lyrics.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#28Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 1:10pm

I posted this an the other board too. I have been guilty of smashing and dishing Smash.Yes there have been major writing problems but I think its somewhat back on track., Yes it's ridiculous that Karen left a lead in a Broadway Musical. But I don't care... leave the damn thing on!

I will miss Smash when (if?) its cancelled. I love Megan Hilty. I loved her and predicted her success the minute I saw her in Wicked in 2005! I love Katherine McPHee (and I don't understand you nay sayers out there for her--the girls doing a great job) and Christian Borle and Debra Messing.

Where else can you get a glimpse of Bernadette Peters, Liza Minnelli, Sean Hayes (as bad as his few weeks were) Jennifer Hudson (as bad as her few weeks were) and a cameo from Donna McCechnie and Edward Hibbart?

Keep it on so we can trash Smash.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#29Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 1:15pm

I loved everything about Megan's performance in this. Makes me wish that Bombshell was an actual musical on Broadway.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#30Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 1:42pm

Loved the YouTube! Love every aspect of Ivy's Marilyn.

The mp3 link at Marc Shaiman's site isn't working for me either. So I'm adding my heartfelt plea to JP2's for a working link.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#31Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 2:22pm

I know what you mean about the lyrics but I thought they were actually good "Marilyn-isms"--ways she might refer to "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" or "Happy Birthday, Mr, President."

And I know you what you mean about the Marilyn-isms, but they are pretty much the most obvious and laziest Marilyn-isms that could have been chosen (not to mention how clumsily they are shoe-horned into the song). And for a tv show that tells us so many times about that this show is giving us the true essence of Marilyn via the Bombshell we never get to see, I think it's a huge problem.

"Don't Forget Me" at the end of "Bombshell" reaches the silliness level of "I Will Never Leave You" at the end of "Side Show" (a show I do love). Yeah, duh, of course you're not going anywhere. It's the same with Marilyn. Of course you're not going to be forgotten. We all know that, and we don't need to sing happy birthday or covet diamonds to remember her - she's ubiquitous. Imagine if instead they'd written a song in which Marilyn implores everyone to forget her, because of the tragedy of her life or whatever. I'm not saying it's a golden idea, and it requires writing a level of irony that I don't think Smash is capable of, but I still think just about anything would make more sense than this song.
Updated On: 4/25/13 at 02:22 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#32Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 2:34pm

I cannot believe I'm about to argue this point. CANNOT BELIEVE I'M ABOUT TO ARGUE A POINT ABOUT SMASH. Jesus help me.

But my guess is that, at the time, Marilyn would feel some kind of despondency regarding her place in the world. She had been dismissed from SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE might have led her to believe that she was washed up, and that she hadn't done the work she thought she was capable of. I'm not defending the lyrics, mind you, but the sentiment seems pretty solid. And actually kind of ironic from our vantage point, because who could imagine anyone forgetting Marilyn Monroe. Perhaps the woman herself.

I hate that I just gave thought to this.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 2:37pm

Perhaps I'd warm up to the song more if I saw this magical, well-made play-like book that I've heard so much about.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#34Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 2:40pm

>> "And I know you what you mean about the Marilyn-isms, but they are pretty much the most obvious and laziest Marilyn-isms that could have been chosen (not to mention how clumsily they are shoe-horned into the song)."

DING!-DING!-DING! [sonorous bell of agreement]

Those diamonds... I thought they were supposed to be "a girl's best friend".

Butterflies are free...! (See what I did there? 'Goldie Hawn' reference...? Different blonde icon....?) Updated On: 4/25/13 at 02:40 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 2:57pm

So maybe the lyrics should have been "...Or see diamonds you wish were your friend..." but WTF could have rhymed in the next phrase with "friend"?

I picture the song appealing to a young woman looking in the windows of Tiffany or Cartier's or Harry Winston's and seeing all the diamonds she'll never have--and then suddenly she remember the forgotten Marilyn.

Because (agreeing with RobbieJ), at that low point in her life, Marilyn had no idea she would be remembered and become iconic the way she has since her murder.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#36Megan Hilty's (Ivy)

I just think they should have been different lyrics period.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#37Megan Hilty's (Ivy)

I just think they should have been different lyrics period.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#38Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:01pm

You can say that again.

SonofRobbieJ
#39Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:02pm

OMG, PJ is a Marilyn Truther!!!!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:05pm

I also find the lyrics cloying and a little lazy. It's something I feel like I'd hear in a theme park show by a Marilyn impersonator.

"I picture the song appealing to a young woman looking in the windows of Tiffany or Cartier's or Harry Winston's and seeing all the diamonds she'll never have--and then suddenly she remember the forgotten Marilyn."

Yes but what does that do for the young woman? She's remembering a lonely, insecure drug-addled woman who sought male attention.

It's just a weird way to end a show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#41Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:10pm

>> "Marilyn had no idea she would be remembered and become iconic the way she has since her murder."

I see what you did there... Megan Hilty's (Ivy)

But on another note:
"if you see someone's hurt
And in need of a hand
Don't forget me
"

I should remember Marilyn because she was known for her Mother Theresa-like goodwill?

"Or hear a melody crying from some baby grand
You don't forget me
"

Because she was known for her torch songs?

"When you sing happy birthday to someone you love
Or see diamonds you wish were all free
Please say that you won't;
I pray that you don't forget me
"

The "happy birthday" reference makes sense, but nothing else in the refrain would ever cause me to recall Marilyn Monroe - even if she's begging me to remember her. That's where I agree with the laziness and "shoe-horning". Updated On: 4/25/13 at 03:10 PM

SonofRobbieJ
#42Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:30pm

'"Or hear a melody crying from some baby grand
You don't forget me"'

Isn't that a reference to an earlier song from BOMBSHELL?

'"if you see someone's hurt
And in need of a hand
Don't forget me"'

I'm guessing she's the one who was hurt and wasn't lent a helping hand.

I cannot believe I'm analyzing this. I need a busier day job.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#43Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:35pm

I don't care what anyone says, "For a kiss they paid a thousand.
Yet they paid fifty cents for my soul" is a beautiful lyric.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#44Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:37pm

On second thought...
Wasn't this song the one Karen had to write in the 11th hour, just a few hours before the out-of-town tryout opening? If I'm remembering that correctly, I DO find a lot of humor in this number!

She could have written:

"If you see an a-quar-i-um that's full of fish
Don't forget me!
Or salami with pickles and pork on a dish
Don't forget me!"

I mean, really... she was short on time. Updated On: 4/25/13 at 03:37 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#45Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:38pm

SonofRobbieJ, you're doing just fine. I enjoy reading your posts.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#46Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:39pm

OMG, PJ is a Marilyn Truther!!!!

Isn't everyone? You don't really believe she committed suicide, do you?

With what she had on th--

Megan Hilty's (Ivy)

SonofRobbieJ
#47Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 3:47pm

Were you there? Did you see a second shooter on the mossy bank?

Oh God...I just made myself nauseous.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#49Megan Hilty's (Ivy)
Posted: 4/25/13 at 4:21pm

LOL They said "Bombshell."