Pippin Reviews!

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#1Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 6:22pm

Pippin review thread! Post 'em if you got 'em.

whatever2
#2Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 6:50pm

Is Limelight Mike OK? I cannot believe he missed this ...

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#2Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:15pm

Expecting all raves again

hubee Profile Photo
hubee
#3Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:28pm

Time Out NY's Adam Feldman is a rave. http://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/pippin

http://tapeworthy.blogspot.com

Ed_Mottershead
#4Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:36pm

My thoughts exactly! I haven't been that enthralled by a musical since -- well, let's not go into that! I'm getting on in years, but if this is my exit line, I'll die happy!!!!! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!!!!!

BroadwayEd

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#5Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 7:58pm

Anyone else think the Times won't like it just to go against everyone else?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:05pm

No.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

evic
#7Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:09pm

If Brantley pans it, he loses any credibility he has.

chrisampm2
#8Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:12pm

ucjrdude902, do you have any evidence a Times critic ever puts out a pan just to go against the tide?

dramamama611
#9Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:14pm

AM New York is positive but hated Matthew James Thomas:

****But there is a weak link to this staging, namely Matthew James Thomas’ lifeless performance as Pippin. He mars the production with his hollow acting and weak singing. Nevertheless, this production has an incredible amount of “Magic to Do.”

OUCH. Sad, and unjust.

Link

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 4/25/13 at 08:14 PM

broadway guy
#10Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:20pm

yikes

lenstersf
#11Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:22pm

I think the production is absolutely fantastic, but when I watched it in Cambridge, I didn't think Matthew James Thomas was bad, just the most replaceable. His singing was great, but otherwise, his performance wasn't too noteworthy. Reading others' comments, I thought he had made changes to bolster his performance (I was really looking forward to seeing this...) but now I'm concerned! I wouldn't call his singing "weak" or his performance "lifeless," though...rough. Eek.

dramamama611
#12Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:26pm

One loved him, the other didn't. Hardly a reason to be "concerned".

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#13Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:37pm

A little harsh...

Queen of the Night
#14Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:43pm

Trust me, nothing to be concerned about. We caught the last preview on Tuesday night and Matthew James Thomas was anything but lifeless! Don't know what performance this critic was watching, but I don't think it was the same one I saw.

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#15Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:46pm

Well girl we know it is all about you.

dramamama611
#16Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:49pm

A rave, calling it a "must see". (That loved Thomas.)
NBC New York

Trish2
#17Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:53pm

My favorite two lines from that NBC review:

"This revival, choreographed by Chet Walker “in the style” of original director Bob Fosse, is Fosse by way of the Flying Wallendas."

"My advice is to judge this “Pippin” based on how it makes you feel, once you’ve separated that from all the delightful noise. It left me ecstatic and spent, and feeling like it’s time to attend trapeze school."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#18Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:54pm

For what it's worth, I agree with amNY here. I loved everything BUT MJT. I thought he was solidly miscast. Pretty? Yes. Pippin? No.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#19Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 8:59pm

a ROCK STAR, indeed. :)

eatlasagna
#20Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:00pm

i know it's not really fair or accurate to base it on the little commercial... but i didn't like matthew james thomas' voice at all... that being said... the video did make me absolutely want to watch the production... it looks fantastic!

Trish2
#21Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:02pm

No matter how the reviews go tonight, I bet Thomas is the first to eventually be replaced by the Weisslers famous stunt casting. Too many GLEE boys out there to easily cover that spot !

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#22Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:06pm

I thought he did a fine job. He made me feel about the character what I thought I should/would feel at the end f the show. Plus I got to touch him during the Act ll opener. :)

Just give the world Love.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#23Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:07pm

Chord Overstreet?

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#24Pippin Reviews!
Posted: 4/25/13 at 9:10pm

I don't see this show until June, but with all the circus tricks that the actors perform, I wonder just how easily replaced the major cast members are. From what I've read, MJT has to do more than just sing/dance/act, but also perform certain circus themed tricks. I don't know that all of them are (I think I read at least trapeze and something with a pole), so are these easily taught to someone like Darren Criss (to use the GLEE analogy)? Or are the actors only doing some simple routines a la Circus of the Stars?

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!