pixeltracker

Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season? - Page 2

Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#25Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/21/13 at 7:19pm

Lilla goes on more than the Matildas, but she certainly isn't taking it on herself. Taylor Richardson goes on at least twice a week for Annie, and she also seems to do a great deal of promotional events.

Matilda is on stage for nearly all of her show as well. While I don't think the role is as vocally demanding as Annie, there is much more depth dramatically, and the Matildas are much younger.
Updated On: 5/21/13 at 07:19 PM

KathyNYC2
#26Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/21/13 at 8:03pm

I don't think anyone is trying to say that the Matilda's aren't talented! These are all talented kids in all the shows mentioned or they would not have gotten the parts. Obviously each individual show that they are in requires a different type of performance... and the kids do what they have been asked to do well.

Some of us are just wondering why the Matilda's were selected for a special award when there are children equally (more or less) talented as they are...and for me, because I strongly doubt the committee saw all four Matilda's, some girls who actually weren't even seen are getting a nod because it's assumed they are good. I just don't agree with that policy period.

I have only seen Taylor do one promotional event as ANNIE...when Lilla was injured. She does a lot of promo events as one of the orphans. Lilla does not do all 8 shows but she does as a rule 6 a week - sometimes 5 and sometimes 7. The Matilda's are doing 2. I am not going to fault the Matilda's because that's what they are hired to do...but I am not going to fault Lilla for her schedule either or how much promotion she does. It has nothing to do with their performances.

Updated On: 5/21/13 at 08:03 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#27Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/21/13 at 8:31pm

The reason the Matildas are getting an award is because the nominating committee felt their performances deserving of recognition but didn't feel it was fair to put them in competition against the other actresses eligible for the category. I mean, it isn't as if the girls are actually each getting a Tony- it's the nominators way of allowing the girls to be recognized for their work while making sure the actual category is fair to the other actresses involved.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

KathyNYC2
#28Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/21/13 at 8:57pm

I understand the reasoning. I just don't agree with it...for a number of reasons.

AEA AGMA SM
#29Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/21/13 at 9:33pm

Hugh Jackman also received an honorary award last year and he didn't even invite the voters (and I assume, by extension, the nominating committee) to his show.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#30Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/21/13 at 9:35pm

Clearly that means the nominating committee thought he was the most talented man on stage that season.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#31Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/21/13 at 9:59pm

Kathy, by no means am I "faulting" Lilla. I'm just pointing out that Lilla is not the only Annie carrying the show. I know the promotional event you're referring to. That may have been the only televised event, but I have seen many pictures and youtube videos of Taylor making appearances at different events and performing songs as Annie. In fact, I've rarely seen footage of Lilla appearing at a small event. The other swings tend to be heavily featured at these events as well. I personally think it's great that they're giving the swings so many chances to perform.

mikey2573
#32Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 12:58am

"The reason the Matildas are getting an award is because the nominating committee felt their performances deserving of recognition"

Why? Are they more deservig than Johnny Rabe,who carried A CHRISTMAS STORY much more than any of the Matildas.
I wonder if the Tonys will call the girls by their names or just call them "The Matildas".

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#33Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 4:59am

On the topic of 2 performers sharing 1 award, if Side Show was to return to Broadway, would the actors playing Violet and Daisy be recognized as one performance, or would they be nominated separately?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

KathyNYC2
#34Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 8:43am

"I wonder if the Tonys will call the girls by their names or just call them "The Matildas"."

We may never know. The girls are receiving their awards at the Tony Awards Cocktail Party on June 8th, the day before the regular Tony Awards on the 9th. It seems they are awarding a number of special awards at the party - the 4 Matilda girls are included there. Here are the details of the event.

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/news/articles/2013-04-23/201304231366754838935.html

Considering the article was written in late April, it seems this was always their intention.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#35Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 10:12am

>> Why? Are they more deservig than Johnny Rabe,who carried A CHRISTMAS STORY much more than any of the Matildas.

Much of what happens with the Tonys is based on the phrase, "at the discretion of the Committee". Why did they ignore their own ruling regarding disseminating reviews in full?

Other than defining what constitutes a Broadway house, or cutoff dates for eligibility, there's isn't a lot of predetermined criteria for instructing voters on what constitutes "best". (At least, not to my knowledge - maybe someone can shed more light on that.) The rules that exist are fluid, and can (do) change from season to season.

We'll probably never know "why", other than that it was "at the discretion of the Committee". We'll also never know why some shows win a Tony when it seems clear (to our minds) that something else should have. The Tony awards don't have that kind of structure regarding predetermined criteria.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#36Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 11:22am

I think them getting this special award sucks and is a huge slap in the face to other kids in other shows. The two kids in Kinky Boots were wonderful. The kid I saw play Michael Jackson was off the charts fabulous. And I do agree that the other kids in Matilda are wonderful. I haven't seen Annie but I would guess those kids work just as hard and are good. JMO

Just give the world Love.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#37Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 11:26am

Re: sideshow. The producers petitiond for them to be considered together. That doesn't set that ruling in stone should there be another production.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadway guy
#38Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 12:29pm

Someone said in another thread that broadway community is pissed at the the MATILDA producers? Is that true ? and why would they be?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 12:36pm

Why don't you ask in that thread?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadway guy
#40Are the Matildas the most talented kids on stage this season?
Posted: 5/26/13 at 12:39pm

Dont remember which thread it was. I really just glanced over the comment. It might have been this one. who knows