pixeltracker

Montego Glover as Leading Player?

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#1Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:05pm

I know it's too soon to be talking about this but I think she would make an amazing Leading Player! Who else do you guys think should be a replacement?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:09pm

Glover is one I thought of. Sasha Allen is another. Asmeret Ghebremichael could also pull it off.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#2Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:11pm

You had me at Asmeret.

troynow
#3Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:12pm

STEPHANIE POPE IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#4Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:27pm

She wouldn't replace at the point, but Condola Rashad would be my choice. She has a fierce presence and a fantastic voice.

Tracie Thoms played The Leading Player in the first reading of this production, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her involved down the line.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Musicaldudepeter
#5Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:39pm

Tracie Bennett

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#6Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:41pm

Isn't Montego... not a good actor? She sings beautifully, but dat acting.

Emmaloucbway
#7Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:55pm

I was thinking that too.
I would LOVE to see Asmeret play the role!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:56pm

I feel like many years ago, Vanessa Williams wouldve made a great Leading Player

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

broadway guy
#9Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:59pm

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#10Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 10:28pm

@Quizking Vanessa could never, even in her prime sing the score as written. "Glory" would be out of her range, unless they were planning on letting her mix it. Now I would love to see her dance and act the role, but singing it I think not.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 10:53pm

Does it have to be a skinny black actress? Is that the only type that works for this production?

I'd love to see them go in a totally different direction for the replacement - if and when that becomes a need.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#12Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:04pm

^^^^I like that idea ripped!

With that said how about Capathia Jenkins. She might not be able to dance the role, but she could sure sing the pants off of every audience member.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#13Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:20pm

Love the idea of Condola Rashad, but yeah, I guess she wouldn't replace someone when she's the "it" girl in town.
I think Tracie Thoms has turned out to be one of the most consistently just okay in about everything I've seen her in, maybe Paulus can bring some magic to her performance but Patina Miller she ain't. Sasha Allen was stunning, haunting and memorable in HAIR, but I doubt she wants to make a Broadway career out of replacing Miller. I'd love to see what she could do with Deena in DREAMGIRLS.

EDIT: Yes to Capathia Jenkins, and to address the original question, I agree with the poster who said Glover might be a fine singer but God is she a dull actress.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 6/25/13 at 11:20 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:24pm

Sara Gettlefinger.

WickedRENTAwakening Profile Photo
WickedRENTAwakening
#15Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:32pm

I love love love Montego Glover and she would be amazing.

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#16Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:48pm

Why does she have to be female?

Taye Diggs...

PlayItAgain
#17Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:49pm

um Capathia Jenkins would be a terrible choice...

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#18Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:50pm

This was discussed earlier and people loved the idea: Sasha Allen

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#19Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:52pm

Does it have to be a skinny black actress? Is that the only type that works for this production?

No, I think certainly not. Schwartz himself has said the role just needs to be played by someone charismatic and captivating and almost all I've spoken to seem to agree gender-blind casting has worked fine and I'd imagine race-blind would as well.

And no, the actor playing the Leading Player doesn't need to be "skinny" but the demands of the Fosse style choreography and the acrobatics of this production that I'd doubt they'd want to change (Patina Miller is on a trapeze for several minutes throughout the show and performs other highly athletic stunts) would mean the actor would need to be somewhat athletically built, which could make Capathia Jenkins difficult to cast.

Just to be sure, I don't know anything about Ms. Jenkins' health nor am I trying to discriminate against her about weight, but I would imagine it would take a certain athleticism and body type (and age!) to do tricks on a trapeze like Ms. Miller does.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 12:09am

Broadwaydevil, you do make a good point about the casting limitations for this specific production, and I definitely agree.
If she hadn't changed paths, Karen Olivo would be ideal in my book.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 12:14am

I didn't mean it as an insult, just saying the names that were being thrown out are def. in the "patina" category.

I'd like to see them go a different route, but I don't think this is the kind of show that can thrive on "star" replacements. I think it will last a year or so and then be done.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#22Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 12:18am

Are you saying that Pippin will only last on Broadway for a year, or something else?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#23Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 12:21am

Asmeret!

(I haven't even seen this production yet...)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Visceral_Fella
#24Montego Glover as Leading Player?
Posted: 6/26/13 at 12:41am

Please no Montego Glover, please.