pixeltracker

Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...

Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 12:10pm

She confirms (again?) what we all have been thinking.

I always have ‘Mame’ in the back of my mind, and people do mention it, but I don’t think I have eight shows in me. I’m too old. I think people don’t understand how hard this is. Those kids who work so hard in eight shows a week, I bow to them. And I bow to the theater owners, too. They took good care of me and good care of my dressing room. I’m probably the only person who ever got a new loo out of the Shubert Organization.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/bette-midler-hangs-up-the-phone-on-eat-you-last/?_r=0

Funny that she mentions MAME and not DOLLY.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 12:11pm

Was just about to post this.

Ugh, I would kill to see her tackle a musical in my lifetime. Hopefully she changes her mind.

AnthVoice2010 Profile Photo
AnthVoice2010
#2Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 12:17pm

Something tells me that the only way MAME would be viable for Bette is as a series of concerts with orchestra - maybe 6 nights at Avery Fisher or Carnegie....with the NY Phil...

She'd probably say yes in a second to that..

But 8 shows a week singing and dancing - it's not gonna happen.

"There's no damn business like show business - you have to smile to keep from throwing up." - Billie Holiday

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#3Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 12:47pm

You have to appreciate her honesty here.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#4Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:09pm

She's all wrong for Mame anyways.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:11pm

so even if she comes back to Broadway in Mama, or Dolly, she'd need an alternate if the producers want to do 8 shows a week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#6Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:14pm

Who would be willing to see an alternate though?

AnythingGoes23
#7Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:21pm

You could get away with 7 shows and no midweek matinee with Midler in a musical and one like Mame I think producers would be very tempted.

I know people think she is more Dolly, but I think she'd be a hoot as Mame....or Dolly too saying that. I prefer Mame as a show.

I like the idea of a concert series for Mame with Midler and then who knows if she nails it and gets the bug it can transfer....

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#8Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:23pm

I think she's way too old for Mame, personally.

#9Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:24pm

I'm glad she's honest instead of taking on the lead in a show (Fantasia) and then deciding she doesn't want to do all those performances (Fantasia) and no show-ing to the audiences despair (Fantasia).

I can't really think of an example of that but I know it happens.

Gothampc
#10Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:29pm

"I’m probably the only person who ever got a new loo out of the Shubert Organization."

This from the woman who mocked Madonna for adopting a faux British accent. For shame Bette!!!

Seriously though, why are we talking revivals. Can't Marc Shaiman write her a new musical?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

broadway guy
#11Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:49pm

Put Midler in Mame and Lupone in Dolly and we will have the most exciting theatre season ever!

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#12Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:50pm

I would LOOOOOVE to see La LuPone as Dolly!!

broadway guy
#13Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:52pm

Me 2!It's very fitting for Lupone and I really want her to come back in a big grand musical. No doubt she would get a tony nomination and maybe even win again.

AnythingGoes23
#14Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:55pm

After seeing Charlie, no Marc Shaiman can't write her a new musical!

AnythingGoes23
#15Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:55pm

After seeing Charlie, no Marc Shaiman can't write her a new musical!

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#16Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 1:59pm

Can you IMAGINE Patti on top of that staircase with all the dancing waiters??

broadway guy
#17Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 2:03pm

AHH so many chills! Lupone has played and created many iconic roles and bringing HELLO DOLLY back to its full grand stature would be a magical night at the theatre! HELLO DOLLY is one of my top 5 favorite musicals of all time and I have always wanted to hear her sing the score. I actually think its a bit weird that this hasn't happened yet.

Updated On: 7/2/13 at 02:03 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 2:12pm

Then you obviously have no idea how much it costs to actually put that on Broadway. And you obviously don't know that a musical like that would cost more money than you can imagine and that Patti LuPone isn't a big enough name to make that show profitable. And you also obviously don't know that the only real way for a show that size to make money nowadays is to put a bankable A+ list movie star in the lead role.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#19Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 2:15pm

Patti LuPone is the biggest name on Broadway. A Dolly with her would be marvelous and profitable.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#20Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 2:16pm

Case closed!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#21Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 2:18pm

Oh would it be profitable? Would it definitely make money? Just like her amazing GYPSY?

Oh, wait. That show didn't return its investment, either. Sometimes it's good to know what you're talking about before you start talking about it.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#22Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 2:21pm

A) The Gypsy waters had been polluted at that time due to the horrible Sam Mendez revival.

B) It was during the 2008 great recession/crisis. No shows were doing well.

broadway guy
Phyllis Rogers Stone
#24Midler doesn't think she has 8 shows a week in her...
Posted: 7/2/13 at 2:23pm

Case closed!

Videos