Question about the Matilda CD.

KathyNYC2
#1Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/6/13 at 4:49pm

So I have a question for someone who knows more than I can obviously figure out. I have seen Matilda on Broadway and wasn't crazy about it (and honestly didn't have the best experience with sound/seating) but I figured I would like to see it again and give it another try. But before I do, I thought I should get the CD to become more familiar with it.

OK, I know there is no B'way version so I was looking for the London version. But when I went to Amazon, there seem to be two different choices out there. There is one that is in a dark blue case with the words Matilda written in different colored letters. It says.."Original London Cast 2011". But then there is another one that has the more familiar Matilda logo which is a lighter blue and has the white burst in the middle. This one says.."London cast recording". Is it the same CD with just a different cover?

The first one is more expensive but it seems harder to come by. I can't figure out any more details about either CD. Help!!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/6/13 at 4:56pm

Yeah, they are the same; just different covers. It's the original London cast.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/6/13 at 4:58pm

They are both exactly the same.

They just changed the artwork to reflect the Broadway logo (white light in the middle).

Go with the cheaper copy. And enjoy!

ETA: was posting at the same time as jacobsnchz.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 7/6/13 at 04:58 PM

KathyNYC2
#3Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/6/13 at 6:25pm

Thanks to both of you!

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#4Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/7/13 at 4:40pm

It's actually from Stratford, not London.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#5Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/7/13 at 4:54pm

^ Yes, it IS from Stratford, but I recently received bought it on Amazon, and oddly they are labeling it as the "Original London Cast Recording"... *shakes head*

Technically, Stratford is a district in London, so I guess that is how they get away with it...

jacobsnchz14
#6Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/7/13 at 5:04pm

Didn't most of the cast transfer from Stratford to the West End, anyway?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#7Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/7/13 at 5:07pm

"Stratford" in this case surely refers to Stratford-upon-Avon, where RSC is based and MATILDA premiered, no? That's not in London.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#8Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/7/13 at 5:19pm

^ Good point. So I returned to being baffled about why it is labeled the "London" cast. :)

lemiz3001
#9Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/7/13 at 5:42pm

Yes, this isn't referring to Stratford in East London where the Olympics took place, but Stratford-upon-Avon, about 100 miles north of London

KathyNYC2
#10Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/10/13 at 2:44pm

So how does it work with the four Matilda's. Do they each sing individual songs? or different lines in the same song? I can't imagine that all four are not represented in one way or the other..I just wondered how. Are they given credit in the liner notes by name for what they sing?

I did just order it and I should get it next week sometime. I was just curious in the meantime.

Thanks...

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#11Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/10/13 at 2:47pm

I think the one that doesn't have the current logo has a hidden track at the very end. Some dialogue spoken by the headmistress.

Updated On: 7/10/13 at 02:47 PM

jacobsnchz14
#12Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/10/13 at 2:55pm

@Kathy The booklet lists the original actresses that played Matilda, but none of them are credited for the songs they sing. I had to look up on YouTube which Matilda was singing each song because someone knew since they saw all of them live. They sing different tracks throughout the album.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#13Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/10/13 at 3:04pm

Well, the Stratford cast had three Matildas: Adriana Bertola, Josie Griffiths, and Kerry Ingram. All three recorded all of the songs, and were not told whose voice was going to be used for what songs. (They basically had to wait until the CD tracks came out to find out!).

Anyhow, according to Josie's mom, her daughter signs "Naughty and "Don't Cry Daddy," while Adrianna sings "Quiet," and Kerry sings "I'm Here" (the escapologist song). Beyond that, I have no idea.
discussion re: Matilda OCR

KathyNYC2
#14Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/10/13 at 7:43pm

Ah..I didn't realize that its the 3 girls from the Stratford cast on the CD - not the 4 London girls (and I know Kerry is on both).

Thanks for the info.

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#15Question about the Matilda CD.
Posted: 7/11/13 at 9:56am

I'm sure you won't forget wait the 45 sec's , after the last number finishes.