pixeltracker

GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews- Page 6

GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#125GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/17/13 at 11:44pm

Ha. Oh, Pal Joey. Congratulations to the Gentleman's Guide team on the great reviews, but no crow for me. I'm not surprised that the show got largely positive reviews from Isherwood and co given that its San Diego and Hartford runs were similarly received.

For me, it was the new show I was most excited about seeing in NY last month, but I found it a monumental disappointment on nearly every single count -- even the much lauded Mr. Mays. You either connect with a work or you don't. Surely most of us have had the experience of being left cold by something that delighted critics and/or audiences.

Beyond the charismatic Bryce Pinkham and the beautiful orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick, nothing else worked for me. I like that it's a humorous show with a more "traditional" score which references some classic composers instead of, you know, awful power pop or the cringe-worthy Broadway version of, quote-unquote "rock" music. I just wish it had been better executed.

After Eight
#126GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/18/13 at 12:20am

"I like that it's a humorous show with a more "traditional" score which references some classic composers instead of, you know, awful power pop or the cringe-worthy Broadway version of, quote-unquote "rock" music."

Or, you know, the brooding, etiolated, tuneless whining that is praised as great music.

Or don't you know?

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#127GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/18/13 at 9:46am

I would really like to see this just because "Kind Hearts and Coronets" is a great favorite of mine, and I'd be interested to see their take on the material! Hope I get a chance to get up there during its run.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#128GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/19/13 at 10:36pm

I just got in from seeing this and I had such a good time! Okay, it's not as consistently funny as I'd hoped, and a lot of the music sounds similar, but these are minor quibbles with a very entertaining, devilishly clever musical.

Where do I even begin to talk about Jefferson Mays' performance (performances?!)? His character changes make your head spin; some of them I didn't even realize were him in the first few seconds because he had just been onstage in a completely different outfit/wig! And this isn't a performance that is great simply due to the high number of roles he plays; Mays manages to make each of his characters such a crisply drawn, wacky, diabolical concoction. Bryce Pinkham is delightful; I understand why he's been overshadowed by Mays' performance, but he's every bit his equal in a part that could have easily turned to bland mush in a less capable or less charismatic actors' hands. Lauren Worsham and Lisa O'Hare are great as well; their voices are piercingly crystalline.

The design elements are really lovely, particularly the costumes, which are gorgeously over-the-top. It's directed with such crisp comedic precision that the whole 2 hours and 20 minutes goes by in a clip. And, yes, I really loved the score. Sure, many of the songs have a similar sound to them, but I all but promise you'll be humming the tunes as you leave. The lyrics just may be my favorite thing about the show; so hilarious and witty, especially "Why Are All The D'Ysquiths Dying?," "Better With A Man," & that brilliant "I've Decided To Marry You" trio. The book is a bit more problematic, and it's where the show is most in need of some laughs (many of those are provided by sight gags, the actors, or the score), but it's a fine book nonetheless.

The show manages to sustain such a giddy, bubbly, delightful tone throughout, which was what really impressed me. Even in its ballads and slower moments, I still found myself smiling and almost entranced by it. It's so delightful and charming, I found it pretty hard to resist! Updated On: 11/19/13 at 10:36 PM

notabb
#129GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/20/13 at 8:44am

I agree with the poster who loved the two ladies and wanted to see them again. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the show. I'd love to see the two of them do ERNEST IN LOVE. You could probably cast the two male leads as Algernon and Jack. Maybe Victoria Clark as Lady Bracknel. I can't wait for the cd to come out. Though I wish this board had loved the show as much as I did I was glad to see so many of them gave it a chance. If there's anything this board should do its give worthy new shows a look. How it falls after that is up to fate but at least they put themselves out there. Happily , for the most part , it was a pretty civilized discussion on the board . I hate when the name calling and personal attacks start.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#130GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/20/13 at 10:29am

Well, I certainly enjoyed the show. It is great fun, and I see a long life in regional theatre after its Broadway run. I would not miss this show based on anything negative anyone has said here. Each to his own.

HoundDoggydog
#131GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/20/13 at 11:21am

While I didn't hate the show, I don't think it deserved the raves that it got. To be honest, I was pretty bored for much of it. Everything about it just seemed "middle of the road." A light chuckle here and there. I agree that it will have a great regional life. It is a show that if someone asked me if they should see it, my answer is "only if your ticket is $40 or less". I couldn't, in good conscience, tell somebody to buy a full price ticket.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#132GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/20/13 at 11:50pm

I just got home and thought it was absolutely glorious. I so hope it finds an audience as it's a refreshingly original musical comedy.

The set and costumes were beautifully done and Jefferson Mays played each of the characters with such ease and originality. In theory, the first act could be repetitive as he kills all the heirs in his way but with refreshingly funny lyrics and clever plots, it was genuinely exciting to see how each murder would unfold.

The second act flies by even faster than the first and "I've Decided to Marry You," "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun" and "Why are all the D'Ysquiths dying?" were three of the best new songs written for the stage I've heard in a while.

I really hope the good reviews will help it find an audience and allow it to run through the winter. The mezzanine was about 90% full.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#133GENTLEMEN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER -- Previews
Posted: 11/29/13 at 8:49pm

Well, at last I saw A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE at the recommendation of a few of you smart BWW-ers, and a few friends who liked it a lot. I'm afraid my reaction is mixed. For starters, it is a beautiful looking production and Jefferson Mays is quite wonderful. When he's onstage, it's delightful and funny. And most of the first act is delightful and funny. It takes about fifteen minutes, and about four song for the show to really get going. But some shows, take A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC and MY FAIR LADY for example, don't have sock-'em -dead opening numbers that lay out everything, and that's fine.

The show really does come alive with Mays' first entrance and first song, "I Don't Understand the Poor." "Poison in my Pocket" is delightful and that large Lady Hyacinth set piece is so funny! And of course, there are a few other pleasant songs-- most involving Mays, and one sung by the girl playing Sibella, "Poor Monty." But the second act, which has far less Mays than the first is lacking. Like all murder mystery-type musicals, the happy ending and solution seems thrown on, and undeserved.

And Brice Pinkham, who has a very nice and clear voice mind you, is sort of charmless as the leading character, Monty. I kept thinking of J. Pierpont Finch throughout the show, and how a lovable scoundrel would be needed to play a part like Monty (and Finch). Mr. Pinkham is not bad, but he's not a lovable scoundrel.

I would like to hear the score again, since the lyrics are quite clever and literate. There are about six or seven really top-notch songs. However, some of the songs (musically, speaking) fall into a waltzy pattern of sameness and monotony. A half-baked, half-exciting evening of musical comedy, mostly due to a great performance by Jefferson Mays and a few quite good songs. I wish I could say it was better.

Updated On: 11/29/13 at 08:49 PM