Ragtime Revival

Parsley
#25Ragtime Original, Revival & Concert
Posted: 1/21/14 at 3:14am

Loved the revival but preferred the original broadway version.

And I Adore the BBC live concert recording done many years ago and still watch this often and rather enjoyed the somewhat minimalist London production.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#26Ragtime Original, Revival & Concert
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:11am

Christiane Noll. That's all.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#27Ragtime Original, Revival & Concert
Posted: 1/21/14 at 10:16am

^Yes!! I was completely taken by her performance.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#28Ragtime Original, Revival & Concert
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:34am

>Galati was directing his own adaptation so he really understood the script's nuances in a way that was beyond compare.<

Terrence McNally wrote the book, not Galati.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

SporkGoddess
#29Ragtime Original, Revival & Concert
Posted: 1/21/14 at 11:40am

I didn't see the original so I can't compare the two, but the revival was absolutely fantastic.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#30Ragtime Original, Revival & Concert
Posted: 1/21/14 at 12:31pm

Here's another vote for the original production over the very handsome but less emotionally resonant revival. For me Marin Mazzie, Brian Stokes Mitchell and of course Audra MacDonald were born to play those roles. Seeing that original enormous cast sing those songs and fill the stage with that thrilling stage movement was a reminder of what the grandest of old-time stage musicals could give an audience-- brilliant spectacle in the service of brilliant emotional truth. I will give props to the elegance of the revival's concept, and credit them with making something wonderful of the "Crime of the Century" sequence, one of my least-loved scenes from the original.