pixeltracker

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?- Page 21

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#500What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 8:10pm

Me either. Especially with the "attempted rape" scene, which the recent revival made pretty graphic.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#501What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 8:12pm

@ljay I can't (the picture).

Woah, I totally forgot about that scene! That changes everything

@Liza True, but it is indeed a classic. I think The Music Man could be one of their considerations as well

Updated On: 12/14/13 at 08:12 PM

Liza's Headband
#502What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 8:14pm

Okay. But the qualifier is not a "classic." It's a "family friendly classic" that is good for children and their parents as is stated in this thread based on numerous interviews with Bob Greenblatt. I feel like people don't actually read the threads... they just shout out their thoughts.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#503What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 8:22pm

I read every post and I still thought it would be appropriate for families, until I was reminded of the rape scene...

I'm now thinking either Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, or The Music Man.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#504What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 9:50pm

I'm sure this has been said above, but if Meron and Zadan can build a holiday tradition of live broadcasts of Broadway shows, then (within reason) shows with well-known names may eventually sell as well.

So let's sit through a couple years of OLIVER! and PETER PAN (or OKLAHOMA!) and then maybe we'll get HELLO, DOLLY! or THE PAJAMA GAME.

This isn't to suggest we will ever see FOLLIES, CHICAGO or CABARET.

#505What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 10:45pm

Wow, I had forgotten about that scene as well.

To be honest, very few tried and true classics are both as well known and tirelessly "family friendly" as THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It'll be a hard act to match because of that.

Liza's Headband
#506What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 10:59pm

"To be honest, very few tried and true classics are both as well known and tirelessly "family friendly" as THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It'll be a hard act to match because of that."

OKLAHOMA, PETER PAN, THE MUSIC MAN, OLIVER!, ANNIE, BYE BYE BIRDIE, STATE FAIR, THE WIZARD OF OZ, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, WHITE CHRISTMAS.....

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#507What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 11:18pm

BYE BYE BIRDIE would be a lot of fun, but the stage version had a pretty good TV movie in 1995. It's a great show for "names" though.

#508What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 11:20pm

I didn't say there were none. I said there were very few. And I would definitely argue that OKLAHOMA and OLIVER! are not as unabashedly "family friendly," and PETER PAN, BYE BYE BIRDIE, STATE FAIR, and MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS are by far not as well known.

I was hoping they'd shy away from musicals that were already adapted from films, and stick to bona-fide stage musicals, even though no such intention has ever been mentioned.

It is true that any production code era musical would fit the bill nicely, but would they really want to go through the trouble contending with classic film performances, since the film actors would have likely originated the roles, unlike Julie Andrews in THE SOUND OF MUSIC?

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#509What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/14/13 at 11:41pm

Competing with Julie Andrews wasn't enough? Now we want Taylor Swift to compete with Judy Garland (in MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS)?!

Yikes! I may light torches and storm the castle myself.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#510What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 12:46am

I wish the rights hassle would finally come to an end and Tina Fey could work with Charles Strouse on her proposed reboot, "Bye Bye Birdie 2." The essential premise- a female Albert analogue and a male Rose analogue are forced to adjust their everyday lives and family situations while they house controversial and egotistical rapper Birdie, in an attempt to change his image before he is sent to prison- was recycled and redesigned into the Liz Lemon and Tracey Jordan relationship on "30 Rock."

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#511What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:23am

Given that Sound of Music has been such a success, some of the shows listed will be don such as White Christmas, Peter Pan, Oliver, The King and I, My Fair Lady, Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppins, The Secret Garden, Singing In The Rain, West Side Story etc because it has been such a success everyone will try and jump on the bandwagon and you will see 12-15 shows done in the next 5 years with ABC and NBC trying to out compete each other and do 2-3 shows a year, then the audience will get bored of the satiation that the audience will peak then drop , then the whole idea will be kicked into touch.

In this time every producers will be vying to get there show on TV and will launch Broadway production/national tour on that strength. I would bet that Oliver would launch a national tour on the strength of a tv production.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#512What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:28am

I'm not sure why people keep suggesting Singin' in the Rain or Meet Me in St. Louis. These were not hit shows or even well reviewed musicals. They both tanked on Broadway.

They are failed adaptations of classic films, but we're talking about doing the stage show live on TV ... not a great idea in either case.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#513What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:33am

I actually had a dream last night that they did a live TV production of WILLY WONKA and that it was wonderful!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#514What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:36am

I would love that!

Just not the recent stage adaptation in London ...

A live TV adaptation of the Wonka film would be great ... and I think if you started from scratch and adapted either Meet Me in St. Louis or Singin' in the Rain, they could be great, too. Just not the Broadway/stage versions, please.

JohnyBroadway
#515What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:40am

Audra would sing the hell out of " Cheer up Charlie."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#516What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 10:44am

Could Adam Sandlee pull off Willy WONKA?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#517What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/15/13 at 11:15am

Or Johnny Depp recreating his version, but in the original movie's script.

....but the world goes 'round

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#518What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 12:49am

How about Bye Bye Birdie with Neil Patrick Harris?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#519What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 12:52am

Wow, Neil would be a great choice. I'm sure Jennifer Lopez would be approached for Rosie. But I highly doubt Birdie is in the running.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#520What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 2:52am

I can definitely see Neil doing one of these. He'd be great in BIRDIE for sure, but yeah, that show is not big enough for them to follow up SOUND OF MUSIC with. I'm looking forward to the announcement, I hope it's not PETER PAN, I'd prefer OLIVER.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#521What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 6:38am

Wouldn't Neil be too busy with HEDWIG stuff??

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#522What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 7:27am

I think NBC will stick to the success of building a show around a single star, or maybe two, and surrounding him or her with theater vets. It would be difficult to assemble a 'starry' cast with the commitment to a live broadcast

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Gothampc
#523What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 8:55am

Can somebody speak to what time commitment these stars would have? Why would the rehearsal time be anything more than a regular Broadway show? As far as the actors are concerned, can't they do it in a six week commitment?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#524What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 9:23am

Carrie was committed for months to SOM, and I would guess half of that time was devoted to publicity, public appearances, etc., not rehearsals. But it was a lot longer that six weeks.

It was more like 3 months.

Updated On: 12/16/13 at 09:23 AM