pixeltracker

Classic Madonna Thread- Page 3

Classic Madonna Thread

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#50Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:25pm

"Ray of Light" was the last time I dreamed someday she and I would star in a reworked version of "The Rink." I never liked a Madonna after that.

FindingNamo
#51Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:27pm

Those *were* the days.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:28pm

Oh, I did. I love AMERICAN LIFE and even like lot of HARD CANDY. But after that it just went downhill, I think.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#53Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:41pm

I liked Ray of Light, enough even if it got a little preachy. That's also the only album I ever went and got at midnight the night of its release. Although, for the Evita soundtrack, I had to drive from my college town to a bigger college town ninety minuets away to get it.

Music was Ray of Light without the preachiness. I think I listened to American Life a couple of times and I haven't been able to take much else since. Same goes for her period. She never struck me as someone who would be a barrel of laughs, but she used to seem like she had a little penchant for fun and whimsy back in the day.

Updated On: 2/19/14 at 10:41 PM

FindingNamo
#54Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:49pm

I bought Erotica as a midnight release. At Tower Records. 22 years ago.

Jordan Catalano
#55Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:50pm

"Same goes for her period."

Can't remember her ever talking about that....

As for RAY OF LIGHT, I consider it to be her masterpiece and one of the best albums of all time.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#56Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:51pm

That's how I feel about Like a Prayer. Or Erotica. Seriously, those albums are my Sophie's Choice.

Updated On: 2/19/14 at 10:51 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#57Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:53pm

Classic Madonna Thread

The last Madonna project I truly loved was her interview with ABC's Cynthia McFadden.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#58Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 10:56pm

I was done with her after The Next Best Thing. That movie was so gross and yes, reductive.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#59Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:05pm

Classic Madonna Thread

FindingNamo
#60Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:06pm

Is that the one where she said how Rupert wasn't a typical gay because he was masculine? And then the movie flopped and she dropped him as a friend?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#61Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:11pm

The one and only. That movie made me ragey. From the part where Rupert shames the straight guy by acting flaming to the part where Maddie's like, "I want to move and you can't stop me and you're not the father and I knew this for years and basically gifted you. Also, we're gonna sex-shame you in court."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#62Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:11pm

FindingNamo
#63Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:19pm

I recall somebody posting this 7 years ago and...
… wetting my underoos real bad.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#64Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:41pm

OMG, Namo, I've never seen that before. That is ****ing hilarious. I laughed so loud the first time she sang "Ty-em goes by so-lowly"!

FindingNamo
#65Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:44pm

I know. And "por loly". I remember gasping for breath.

Updated On: 2/19/14 at 11:44 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#66Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:50pm

Even as a parody, that song is an absolute monster. It makes me a bit sad, though, because I think "Hung Up" is pretty much the last time she was truly culturally relevant. That song felt fresh and like a return to form. And the Confessions tour was incredibly stylish and powerful.

Ah, well, Granny worked hard. We should just let her go a bit coo-coo now if that's what she needs to do.

Updated On: 2/19/14 at 11:50 PM

FindingNamo
#67Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/19/14 at 11:55pm

I kinda hated the fact that the entire thing was built on an Abba sample, which had already been done to death by Erasure (the first to make Abba cool), Muriel's Wedding, The A-Teens and Mamma Mia! It was also an utter surrender and Madonna giving up her previous drive for constant forward momentum. She looked backwards for the first time.

But I liked the song.

#68Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/20/14 at 2:08am

Fave M albums in order:

Erotica
American Life
Confessions
Ray of Light
Like A Prayer

I do enjoy the Pharrell parts of Hard Candy as well.
and I actually listened to some MDNA the other week and said 'Hmmmmm", half of it is pretty decent for me.
I think it's the first M album that I could say I actually skip over "gimme all your luvin" and detest it.

I think she's gonna have a good 'comeback'. a decent one-
she has nothing to prove anymore- so hopefully she could focus on music.
and not have it feel like a rushed project ( i hope).

she's had a very lucrative, prolific 30+ years. she's allowed a clunker or two.

this one is fun too

#69Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/20/14 at 2:16am

The last 2 minutes of this is probably the most uncomfortable madonna interview I have ever witnessed.
Like a Virgin - rare Japan

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#70Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:16am

But lets try to remember the good times:
Back when Madonna and Sandy were still friends. Back when late night shows were spontaneous and surprising

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jordan Catalano
#71Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:38am

I wonder what 1988 Madonna would have said if she saw a picture of 2014 Madonna.

FindingNamo
#72Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/20/14 at 11:10am

Good question. If you look up her execrable appearance on the 1000th episode of the Arsenio Hall Show, she actually makes fun of Sharon Stone for getting a boob job. Madonna. Making fun of somebody for having plastic surgery. I'd LOVE to see her react to that today.

She also does an overly long, unmusical version of Fever and a duet on Lady is a Tramp with Anthony Kiedis (wherein she slams Stone) and it's horribly under-rehearsed and amateurish. And it goes on and on and on.

In that Letterman clip above the first six minutes are hilarious because Sandra is steering the ship. The final couple of minutes are awful because Maddie is trying to be funny but she has never had a sense of humor about herself and that is the first step to being able to be funny.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#73Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/20/14 at 11:32am

I think since Hung Up, the two times she has been culturally relevant were 4 Minutes and her Super Bowl halftime show.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#74Classic Madonna Thread
Posted: 2/20/14 at 1:10pm

" she actually makes fun of Sharon Stone for getting a boob job. Madonna. Making fun of somebody for having plastic surgery. I'd LOVE to see her react to that today. "

Especially since Sharon Stone looks one million times better than Madonna does. I'm sure Ms. M. knows it too.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Videos