If/Then Previews

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#200If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 9:35am

How different is the opening? And since TME is moved later into Act 2, what happens to the plane scene?

rorschach37
#201If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/12/14 at 10:10am

Oh! I forgot that thread existed! Thanks so much!

BwayinVan
#202If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 12:30am

I saw it tonight and I have to say it was amazing. Idina KILLED and although she is the star of the show the whole cast is fabulous. I was a little worries about the plot after hearing some of the reviews on here but I had not trouble following along and think that the concept is fresh and innovative. It was also kind of neat to see Brian Yorkey and Michael Griefd in the audience as it reminded me that the show is still a work in progress. To me it was polished and fabulous. Welcome back to broadway Idina!

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#203If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 3:46am

Technically, from the partial view seat I had, the only thing that I missed was some stuff on stage right, stuff on the bridge, and a lot of lighting stuff since I couldn't see most of the mirror and the backdrop. The whole time I felt like I was only seeing a very small sliver of the stage. I moved to a seat in the center orchestra around row M for the the second act and the show's stage pictures, choreography, direction, etc. was a lot clearer.

"Sounds like the criticisms leveled at early Sondheim shows like Company and Follies by the reviewers in the press back then. - Pre ATC"

Interesting. I think that Sondheim show's seem a LOT more invested in the characters so some of the conceptual obstacles can be handled more easily. For instance, the structure of Merrily definitely poses a lot challenges, but I am still invested in the characters journey's and the narrative, that was not the case when I saw If/Then. Maybe that will change on multiple viewings.

jeffsam16
#204If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/13/14 at 9:45am

I saw the show as well last night (3/12). Idina's voice is as strong as it was back in 1996 when I saw her as Maureen, and in 2003 when I saw her as Elphaba. She kills it! Tony nomination guaranteed. Overall a good show. Another well done production by Mr. Grief. Now let's just see what Mr. Brantley has to say about it...

Updated On: 3/13/14 at 09:45 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#205If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:58am

A huge admirer of Menzel's and a big fan of Next to Normal, I walked in with high hopes tonight. But I found myself getting increasingly angry as the night went on.

Despite a few nice tunes, a stellar performance from many cast members (for the love of God, somebody write Jenn Colella a leading role!) and some gorgeous staging and lighting, I kept wondering one thing.... Is this 1940? Has no woman ever achieved both? Why is this even an issue?

I just don't know what the point of it all was. And for a show that clocked in at 2:35, I'm not sure why I sat there for so long.

Very disappointed, but still eager to see what's next for the creative team.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#206If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:59am

How long is the show in total- including intermission?

Darreyl with an L!

iluvtheatertrash
#207If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 1:11am

Tonight, we were out at 10:35. So, they are certainly trimming it!

oasisjeff
#208If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 1:34am

"Is this 1940? Has no woman ever achieved both? Why is this even an issue?"

No, you can't have both. You can either watch a guitar player in the park or go to a job interview.

Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#209If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 1:58am

Thanks for the info!

Darreyl with an L!

rorschach37
#210If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 9:59am

The point of the show is to show two different paths a persons' life can take depending upon their decisions. The show wasn't about Elizabeth becoming both a successful city planner and teacher.

iluvtheatertrash
#211If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 10:14am

That doesn't erase the fact that if the show were about a male character the argument wouldn't even come up.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#212If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 10:24am

Just the fact that we are having this discussion shows how poorly the book succeeded in conveying the point of the story.

rorschach37
#213If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 10:51am

What argument do you speak of?

rlb237
#214If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 11:03am

Personally, I'm only going because of Idina. I'll be seeing it in 2 more weeks. I'd heard good things previously from someone who saw it in DC, but yeah, Idina is the main draw for me.

ETA: Anybody know when the official opening date is? I'm seeing different dates on different sites. One says 3/27, another says 3/30, and another had 4/1.
Updated On: 3/14/14 at 11:03 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#215If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:23pm

The argument that is the entire crux of the show? Which life to choose? When common sense says to choose BOTH.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#216If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:29pm

I saw this last night and absolutely fell in love with it. Seeing a completely new original musical on Broadway has become a rarity. Seeing a new musical with an original score and book is always exciting, but when the new musical at hand is THIS good, it is even more exciting.

Idina Menzel has never sounded better, and this is by far the best performance of her career. She seamlessly slips between Liz and Beth throughout the course of the evening. She is essentially playing two different characters at the same time since there are two different stories unfolding. La Chanze is also great and hilarious. She will definitely be getting a nomination for featured actress.

The set is so perfect for the story. It's wide and open, and the mirror underneath the grated platform allowed for some really great effects. The turntable was also used perfectly.

The score did not have one song that I disliked, and I was never taken out of the moment. I really hope they do a two disc cast recording for this. None of the score should be missed. "Starting Over" blew me away. Idina Menzel's acting, emotions, and vocals just soared. "Here I Go" and "Learn to Live Without" were the other standouts.

The book for this is VERY solid. This easily could have been a confusing mess, but I always was able to keep track of which character we were with. The plane crash was the only scene that felt out of place.

Overall, I think this is one of the best things on Broadway right now. I think it's going to be a tight race between this and Bullets Over Broadway for best musical this year. If/Then definitely has best score sewed up though.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

oasisjeff
#217If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:33pm

@iluvetheatertrash: Since you keep writing as though everyone understands your argument, I'll try and bring it into actual terms.

I don't think having a career versus having a family is the crux of the show, assuming I've correctly deciphered your point, since that wasn't the decision point where the stories diverged. Nothing about deciding to see a guitar player in the park or go to a job interview would be a logical starting off point for the show you are describing, and a show I never encountered both times I saw it.

At the point the stories diverge, she has no job, no boyfriend, and is just getting her new life started in NYC. So, I can't imagine the point of the story would be something only the audience is aware of, and not either Idina character.

For your version to be true, she'd have to be offered the job, sing a song about whether she should take it or start a family and THEN there are two Idinas.

She doesn't choose either life, by the way. Both happen.

Updated On: 3/14/14 at 12:33 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#218If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:33pm

A friend of ours saw it and thought it was competent but nothing to get overly excited about.

Poster Emeritus

oasisjeff
#219If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:35pm

"A friend of ours saw it and thought it was competent but nothing to get overly excited about."

Well, that settles that then... some guy's friend wasn't excited by it. If/Then Previews

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#220If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 12:45pm

And Brantley will be more qualified if he raves about it because of all his fashion experience right.

Speaking to a friend and getting his or her opinion is word of mouth . This makes or breaks many a show.

I am quite sure those on this board who saw it did not unanimously agree it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I predict respectable but not rave reviews.

Poster Emeritus

oasisjeff
#221If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 1:03pm

No, Brantley will be more qualified because he consistently reviews shows publicly, so you can learn over time what to believe, trust, or dismiss about his reviews. I used to read every Roger Ebert movie review, and because I read him consistently, I could tell when his negative review would still be a movie I enjoyed.

As for fashion experience, that is a good thing to bring up to discredit him, but a reviewer is someone who goes to a show and writes about it. There is no qualification to do so. Every qualification beyond attendance is nonsense. I run a website where people often ask me for advice and, every so often, someone will ask why I'm qualified to give advice. And my answer is always the same: People ask.

If you dislike his reviews, don't read them, or learn to dissect them to your advantage. But you'd have just as many problems with anyone else in the role.

re: word of mouth: If you as a consistent user on this board shared your review, then sure, that is word of mouth. Some friend of yours who we know nothing about, what he enjoys, and on and on... that is word of mouth to you, not random strangers.

The other important fact is that no person who saw If/Then in DC and NYC to date saw the finished show. I saw it improve from DC to NYC, and who knows where it will land when it opens.

Updated On: 3/14/14 at 01:03 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#222If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 1:11pm

We will agree to disagree

He is more interested in ripping a show than he is in praising it. I personally thinks he sucks as a critic. Clive Barnes started out like Brantley but evolved over time. I doubt Brantley ever will and will be as nasty and viscious 10 years from now as he is today.

He wants to overtake John Simon as being a nasty critic. He is getting close to overtaking him.

P.S. He has not learned over time and doubt he ever will. He is to much in love with himself. The unfortunate thing is people take his word as gospel and instead of using their own judgment they abdicate same and let old ben decide for them.

Poster Emeritus

oasisjeff
#223If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 1:14pm

I merely said why he is more qualified to help me form an opinion than your anonymous friend. If/Then Previews

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#224If/Then Previews
Posted: 3/14/14 at 1:18pm

Your opinion and not mine

The only one to make an opinion is you. You should not need help in having someone make up your mind for you.No offense intended her just an observation.

We see a show based on many factors - critics are toward the bottom of the list for us. We have agreed with this party and disagreed. We take what he says with a grain of salt and make our own decision. When it comes up on TDF etc we may decide to see it.

Poster Emeritus

Videos