pixeltracker

Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety- Page 2

Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#25Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/2/14 at 5:51pm

"Bridges has no stars, is sad, and is based on a book that possibly every housewife in America read in the 90s but has little meaning to the global audience that now makes up most of Broadway."

Kelli O'Hara is definitely well known, though. I don't think that's the problem here. I agree with the book having little meaning, especially since it's over 20 years old. I think most people want a happy ending, dance numbers and a few more upbeat songs. It does seem like a play with songs. It's gorgeous, I just think it should be off Broadway.

I was able to go the matinee today with my friend. The left mezzanine was totally empty, except for seven people. The boxes were totally empty, so we sat in one and enjoyed ourselves. Steven was amazing today, holding notes longer than usual, he actually got applause in the middle of "It All Fades Away". Beautiful. My friend is friends with the stage manager so we were chatting with her afterwards. She told me the show is "significantly" less expensive than other shows playing right now, and that they are receiving royalty waivers. I also read that took out more loans for it recently. She wouldn't talk about any closing date, or even if that was on the table. I would like to think they are keeping it open because it's JUST that good, but that's not how these things work.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/2/14 at 5:55pm

"I just think it should be off Broadway."

You may get your wish soon... unless you mean Off Broadway. hehe.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#27Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/2/14 at 5:59pm

"Kelli O'Hara is definitely well known, though"

Not to enough people. Outside of Broadway no one knows who she is. If you tell some hick in montana that Kelli O'Hara is starring in a show, they might think you are talking about the Olympic soccer player.

Liza's Headband
#28Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/2/14 at 6:02pm

There are MULTIPLE stage managers on Broadway productions; are you referring to the Production Stage Manager? An Assistant Stage Manager? Either way, the reason you probably didn't discuss a closing day is because he/she would have no idea. Stage Managers are *not* privy to those conversations...

Sutton Ross
#29Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/2/14 at 6:13pm

Yes, Off-Broadway! Ha. True, no hicks in Montana but definitely in Oklahoma, where she's from. Stars aren't needed necessarily to have a show be successful, but I think a show like this really did. Cass Morgan did say at the end to "please spread the word", and I sincerely hope people do.

Sutton Ross
#30Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/2/14 at 6:40pm

Oh! Thanks Jeff...er haterobics for the code. The dude had no idea what I was talking about, so someone else helped me. I look forward to my free download, thanks again!! Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety

felipenor
#31Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/2/14 at 8:19pm

What are "royalty waivers"?

bobs3
#32Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/3/14 at 11:53am

"What are "royalty waivers"?"

There is a clause in the contracts of most royalty participants (composers, writers, directors, choreographers, designers, etc.) that allows producers to reduce or waive royalties if a show fails to meet its weekly nut.

http://atpamnmam.tripod.com/Royalty_Pools.PDF

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#33Hedwig strong, Bridges falters - Variety
Posted: 4/3/14 at 8:10pm

"Tony nominated" will help to get regional productions a marketing angle. That's this show's future.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"