pixeltracker

MAD MEN Season Premiere- Page 4

MAD MEN Season Premiere

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#75MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/12/14 at 6:23pm

So, I actually saw this episode earlier than 10 pm because the Hong Kong answer to Hulu had the episode up much earlier and I watched it and I had to stop for a good moment or.... 15 minutes after the nipple thing. I actually saw spoilers on fan sites that included the threesome but absolutely nothing about Michael's behavior.

I love Julio. Somebody mentioned that Julio is probably around the same age as Peggy and Pete's lovechild. Despite the fact I do not think Peggy is in maternal mode with Julio, she probably loves the idea of younger non-protege who can keep her company and not have to be too responsible around.

Also, I am 90% we are having a Bob Benson sighting next week. We see a shot of Joan approaching a man, looking quite chipper and her mother putting flowers in the pot. Now, I am sure Joan knows about Bob, but her mother probably doesn't.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#76MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/13/14 at 3:53am

Just caught up on the season thus far. Ginsburg's decline was heartbreaking.

strummergirl - hope you're right about the return of Bob Benson. Easily one of the most intriguing secondary characters this show has introduced.

Can we just talk about Kiernan Shipka for a second? Although she had more to do in the prior 3-4 seasons, I still think she's one of the most impressive child actors I've seen on screen. There's a weight to her performance that you just don't get out of a lot child actors. Definitely a bit of an old soul. I could see her having a long, fruitful career.

strummergirl
#77MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/18/14 at 11:13pm

That was a canonical episode. A sister episode to "The Suitcase". Best of the season. So emotionally satisfying.

Elisabeth Moss, you have your Emmy tape! Yeah, I know, not a chance but this is an episode the show always needed and I loved every second of it.

Don and Peggy dancing. Don, Peggy, and Pete as a work family. Poor Bob Benson. Ugh. I loved it so much.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#78MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/19/14 at 12:51am

Moss has always been the star of this series, in my eyes. I have given up hope of her ever winning an Emmy, but she does indeed have a great submission episode now for this mini season.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#79MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/19/14 at 10:29am

“I want love and I’d rather die hoping that happens than make some arrangement.”

That line, delivered so beautifully by Christina Hendricks, killed me. It's soapy, sure, but she managed to make it feel vibrant and true and just perfect.

This season has been so very good at keeping me off-kilter. I was not actually expecting a mirror of The Suitcase...and one that felt some complete and lovely. And the shot of the family at the end (Pete, Peggy and Don) was incredibly moving.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#80MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/22/14 at 11:37pm

Just got caught up. What a gorgeous episode. And, yes, that last scene of Peggy, Don and Pete - the misfit family at BurgerChef - was really affecting. Man, only one more left until 2015?

strummergirl
#81MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/22/14 at 11:49pm

Radio Times (a UK publication/website) apparently saw the finale. It's pretty darn spoiler-free- it keeps in line with the summaries posted on the finale- and vague. You have to figure much like American critics getting Weiner directives about the premiere that overseas critics have to follow the same deal.

Maybe the Ginsberg plea for people to 'Get out while you can!' could be something more literal in the fact SC&P creative is 'bout to face some professional reckoning, and not just Don with the cigarettes account.

You should stop reading this because you have reached a SPOILERS checkpoint Updated On: 5/23/14 at 11:49 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#82MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/23/14 at 12:01am

Okay, that's my cue to stay out of this thread until next week. No spoilers for me.

strummergirl
#83MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/25/14 at 11:20pm

I loved this so much. Don't fight me on this. Peggy bringing it home, Bert's musical send off, Pete freaking out, Meredith insisting to have a moment with Don, and Roger saving the company. Loved it so much.

carolineorchange21 Profile Photo
carolineorchange21
#84MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/25/14 at 11:24pm

Spoilers

Thank you Robert Morse for the greatest character send off I can remember.

Elizabeth Moss continues to stun with her talent. Such a rich and wonderful episode.

"...ah, gays and their wit. Hell must be a laugh a minute!" -Evie Harris

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#85MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/26/14 at 2:42am

What. An. Episode.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#86MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/26/14 at 5:39am

Marvelous end to the season. Don and Megan's unspoken separation was beautifully played, Moss gave me chills in the pitch presentation, Rodger (finally) grew up and led and, man, what a wonderful send off for Bert.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#87MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/26/14 at 4:44pm

Don and Megan's divorce (let's be honest, that's what it was) made me teary. Two people finally finding the strength to be gentle with each other.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#88MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/26/14 at 4:49pm

It wasn't as emotional for me as last week's episode (but that, as everyone else has said, has to be one of the all-time best) but it was, I hate to admit, a nice way to leave this season. Err half season. Ugh... At least we get an extra episode (14 as opposed to 13) for this "full season" but it's gonna be hard to wait basically a full year. I wish AMC at the least would have aired the second half this Fall, but I know they wanna milk what they have.

And yes, Burt's send-off (even if I was a bit confused as to why he voted to keep Don on, given the recent stuff between them) is the kind of thing that could have been awful--but Don's reaction to it, and the character and show in general made it feel earned.

So will we come back to find everyone luxuriating in their millions? :P It is interesting that we are left with a company that--thanks to Don--really seems like it finally can survive without Don. Rodger's sneaky move seemed very Don-like. Peggy has perhaps surpassed him at the art of pitching a "story." Etc.

I was a little confused by Sally's story. (Actually I was confused as to why Betty's friends were all there. Were they checking out colleges? Just having a vacation?) I did find it kinda perfect that after flirting over the older guy, she ended up kissing the astronomy geek. There seemed to be a theme of hunky men walking into women's lives--is Peggy gonna have a handy-man?

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#89MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/26/14 at 4:53pm

Another beautiful episode. Not that they matter, but in an ideal world, Elisabeth Moss would finally snag that elusive Emmy. Her work this (half) season was a career, and character, best.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#90MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/26/14 at 5:18pm

Agreed. I loved how you could see her confidence growing physically in the presentation meeting.

Maybe the anti-Scientology voters don't vote for her? :P Seriously, last year she had great runs on Mad Men and Top of the Lake--and even surpassed them this year.

strummergirl
#91MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/26/14 at 9:06pm

Her being in Lead this year probably means no Emmys, but a nomination is hers no doubt. I think if she went back to supporting, she might have a shot.

I also think this episode is easily John Slattery's Emmy tape. This was definitely a season where in bold letters the show went, 'ROGER IS BACK. ROGER IS ESSENTIAL.'

Robert Morse still goes on Guest Emmys, so maybe Mad Men's first ever actor Emmy will go to him?

EDIT: I also really loved that poor Ted Chaough being so under-utilized this season is because off-screen he WAS having a Don Draper Season 6-level meltdown. That Sunkist implosion was almost worst than the Hershey implosion. Updated On: 5/26/14 at 09:06 PM

daisybeetle Profile Photo
daisybeetle
#92MAD MEN Season Premiere
Posted: 5/27/14 at 3:06am

I really felt sorry for Don in this episode. First the phone call to Megan, and then when they are showing everyone in front of their tv's watching the Moon landing. Don's alone, so he calls Sally. Just to feel connected to someone, like Peggy said in her presentation.

At first, I thought it would be more appropriate for Roger to imagine Bert singing on his send-off at the end ( which was really inspired), but then again maybe Don loved Bert more than Roger did.