pixeltracker

Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical

Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical

stage_star
#1Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 8/5/14 at 12:11am

Probably already discussed here, but I couldn't find (nor could I find a straight answer on Google). Could anyone explain to me how all of three Fiona's transformation from human to ogre happen?

(and the reverse as well, even though the only time that needs explanation is her second one)

AEA AGMA SM
#2Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 8/5/14 at 12:39am

Simple answer, doubles and use of lighting (dim) and staging (scenes played further upstage, behind scrims, etc) to hide it.

The video is deceptive because they re-filmed many of those scenes with Sutton in an empty theatre so they could insert close up shots at times it would have been one of the doubles during an actual performance.

broadwayguy2
#3Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 8/5/14 at 1:24am

Exactly.
In the second transformation, Fiona runs off and is replaced by a body double while Surron's change happens... Green face paint, fake nose, wig with ears, new dress with green chest attached and green gloves.. Then there is a brief black out and Sutton comes back on.
Truth be told, it was a very effective transformation... My one issue was that the ogre make up for Fiona was vastly sifferent than that for Shrek. I understand te time to get into make up was vastly different, but there were simple rixes to line the two designs up... The creative team opted instead to use theatrical make up for Fiona and film make up for Shrek.

Movidude742 Profile Photo
Movidude742
#4Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 8/5/14 at 11:07pm

there was a youtube video that made it pretty clear while the show was still on Broadway, but I imagine it is long gone

She tries to run off and gets pushed back by guards or something and keeps her back to the audience. Either Sutton said her lines from off stage or it was pre-recorded, but at the blackout they switched back she was lifted up and spun to reveal her as an ogress. once she was lowered down doors in the alter opened and the cables were undone by people hidden within.

Showface
#5Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 8/5/14 at 11:09pm

Very much like how they handled the transformation for Into the Woods specifically the 2002 revival.

broadwayguy2
#6Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 8/5/14 at 11:36pm

As I recall, there were no wires in the rig.

AustinRyan Profile Photo
AustinRyan
#7Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 8/8/14 at 8:50pm

Check their YouTube Channel

Either Episode 2 or Episode 5 briefly discuss the change I believe

Shrek the Musical YouTube Channel

Broadwaylover123
BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 6/21/17 at 4:15pm

That video is of the transformation from some community theatre production NOT the Broadway production which is obviously more complex.  These poor amateurs thought the airbrushing technique would be quicker when actually painting/sponging her with the green make-up would have been quicker and more efficient.  

Tyler Greenwood Profile Photo
Tyler Greenwood
#10Fiona's transformation - Shrek the Musical
Posted: 12/6/21 at 2:30am

ahahahahah it was interesting to watch this discussion