Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph

Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 10:44am

She looks fab! (from www.out.com)
Sylvester

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 10:48am

Here is a bio of Sylvester (wikipedia)
Sylvester bio

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#2Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 11:02am

I'm glad to hear about this project. Hopefully it will lead to renewed and expanded appreciation of his talent. He wasn't just a disco "diva". He did some gorgeous ballads where his Gospel background shone especially bright - e.g. Bacharach/David's "I Took My Strength from You" and LaBelle's "You Are My Friend". I also love his ballad version of "One Night Only" from Dreamgirls.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#3Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 11:43am

he's a favorite of mine. Will they use his voice and lip sync, I hope?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

chanel
#4Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 12:05pm

No. Anthony Wayne (who was in "Pippin ") sings the part live. And two women play the Two Tons of Fun (Sylvester's backup singers who became the Weather Girls).

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#5Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 12:09pm

Anthony Wayne is amazing in this. He truly is the role and he makes it look so effortless.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 5:01pm

I just finished reading a book about his life callex "The Fabulous Sylvester". A very interesting and informative read a bout his life and gay life back in the 80's.

Just give the world Love.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#7Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 5:51pm

Seeing him live at Studio 54 was one of the most exciting nights I had back in the day.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#8Michael Musto Discusses New Sylvester Musical With Sheryl Lee Ralph
Posted: 9/1/14 at 7:58pm

Making an admission: I know next to nothing about Sylvester (I was 4 when he died). However, the performance clips I've seen Anthony do are just fabulous. He is putting every ounce of himself into this and it shows. Jacqueline Arnold and Anastacia McCleskey compliment him really well. It seems like it would be a really fun evening.

I know Anthony Wayne and his partner have spent a few years working on this project and I'm thrilled to see it actualized. Their journey with Sylvester's story is just as good,