Sweeney Todd PBS

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#250Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/8/14 at 10:04am

I grew up with and adore Hearn's performance, and I'm sad I'll never know Cariou's beyond the OBCR... which, honestly, I don't listen to all that much. But I don't listen to any SWEENEY recordings "much."

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

#251Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/8/14 at 2:06pm

I saw Cariou and was 13 at the time and remeber it as "one of the last Shows" where they really sang full out, not like 99 out of 100 now where thsy are "protecting" their voices and on "vocal rest" (not that I have a real problem with it). Cariou had the evil thing down cold!
He is on the TV show Blue Bloods now and every time I see him I chuckle to myself that he was Sweeney...

Updated On: 10/8/14 at 02:06 PM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#252Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/8/14 at 2:25pm

I assume that most people in this thread are familiar w/ the soundboard recording from the opening night performance of the original production? It's absolutely thrilling hearing an audience experience Sondheim's score for the first time.

Showface
#253Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/8/14 at 7:30pm

I have not seen Len live, but this wonderful live footage of him and Angela...gem! The one I posted is not the entire performance, but it is a clip of the rest of the footage on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59FIr-Aku0I

(This is okay, right?)

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#254Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:41pm

^^^It's certainly okay with me!

HorseTears, I haven't heard the opening night soundboard, but, as I said, I saw an early preview (the Judge's flagellation scene was still in) and was shocked that music so "operatic" could also be so accessible. SWEENY was definitely not a show where I wished I had heard the album in advance.

Walking in cold--but with great trepidation because of the subject matter--made for one of the great theater experiences of my life! (And, again, I apologize if it seemed I was criticizing you for liking George Hearn. I think he's terrific on the DVD.)

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#255Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:50pm

My husband and I watched and enjoyed the concert, but we sat down last night and listened to the OBCR (the 2-CD set with some dialogue) and couldn't help but notice how much better it was, vocally and dynamically.

You think? The more I think about it, the more I want to forget about how bland and unpolished it was.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#256Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/8/14 at 11:52pm

Gaveston, check your PMs for a surprise :)

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#257Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/9/14 at 12:14am

Gav - you're in for a treat. Sally's either sent you the aforementioned recording or her nudes. Either way, big treat.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#258Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/9/14 at 12:23am

And HorseTears would know!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#259Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/9/14 at 12:43am

<---- 20/20 vision, flawless taste

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#260Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 10/9/14 at 9:24pm

Gav - you're in for a treat. Sally's either sent you the aforementioned recording or her nudes. Either way, big treat.

Can you believe it? She sent BOTH!

Thank you so much, Sally and HorseTears. (I'm not sure who provided what, but I know it will get a lot of listening at my house.)

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#261Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 1/6/15 at 3:29pm

Anyone know if there's a way to still watch this? The original PBS link has long expired.

Updated On: 1/6/15 at 03:29 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#262Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 1/6/15 at 3:31pm

I can't answer your question, but it popped back up around Christmas and then went away again, so there's hope for that happening again in future.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

vitor.rc Profile Photo
vitor.rc
#263Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 2/10/15 at 8:46pm

I think there is a link somewhere in the web.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#264Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 2/10/15 at 8:56pm

Or you could fly to London and see Emma Thompson and Bryn Terfel perform it live at the English National Opera.

March 30 - Be there!

vitor.rc Profile Photo
vitor.rc
#265Sweeney Todd PBS
Posted: 2/10/15 at 9:14pm

It would be a dream to see it live! but unfortunately some of us don't have the money to do so..
Sweeney Todd PBS