pixeltracker

ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?- Page 2

ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?

thebeautyis3
#25ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 7:56pm

If the song is in the credits, jacobsnchz14, it won't be considered for an Oscar. They changed that rule around 2007. The song has to be used IN the film. Credits do not count.

If this turns out like Once Upon a Time, I will seriously weep.

beautywickedlover
#26ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:00pm

"If the song is in the credits, jacobsnchz14, it won't be considered for an Oscar. They changed that rule around 2007. The song has to be used IN the film. Credits do not count."

The Golden Globes still count it because in the 2010 film, 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' the song that was played during the credits, "There's a Place for Us" was nominated that year.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#27ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:01pm

But Rob Marshall promised a faithful adaption ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts? Rob Marshall has never lied to me before...... ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts? ( LOL)

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#28ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:04pm

If the song is in the credits, jacobsnchz14, it won't be considered for an Oscar. They changed that rule around 2007. The song has to be used IN the film. Credits do not count.

Where have I been hearing that if it's used in the credits and wants to be Oscar eligible, it has to be the first music cue...?

Wildcard
#29ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:10pm

"To be fair, it's also crediting an all-new song for the adaptation that appears to have since been excised if it's the same one talked about for ages. "

News articles have been incorrectly saying that "Rainbows" was in the film (likely done through online "research") when it is not. When Rob Marshall told EW that this song was not in the film, all these film sites then started saying the new song was taken out. "Rainbows" was never in this version of the film. It is a completely different song that was written for it that is in it.

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#30ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:14pm

Next thing you know, it'll turn out that the reshoots they did were in order to add Anna & Elsa to the cast....

pli1018
#31ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:15pm

This is beyond bizarre. At the August screening, there was no mention of these "Disney names" whatsoever in the film. Billy Magnussen's performance is nothing like Flynn Rider, nor is Christine Baranski's Stepmother anything like Lady Tremaine. This has to be some sort of mistake. Unless during reshoots they reshot EVERY SCENE INVOLVING these two characters, I have strong doubts. And yes, I see that it's on their official website.

Reminder: neither Rainbows nor a new song for the Witch were in this film as of the version I saw in August.

Plexsis
#32ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:36pm

The song has to be used in the the film or the FIRST song in the credits to be eligible for oscar.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#33ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:48pm

Found the ruling:

"B. Original Song:
An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the motion picture or as the first music cue in the end credits."

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/87/pdf/87aa_rules.pdf

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#34ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:09pm

This isn't supposed to be based on Disney, so why the change if this isn't an editorial mistake?

ShakinBaconGirl
#35ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:20pm

Because it's Disney...

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
#36ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/19/14 at 12:17pm

So now everybody is going to freak out about a change that won't show up until the closing credits.

So now people are mad about the closing credits of a movie they haven't seen.

Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...

degrassifan
#37ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/19/14 at 12:41pm

Yeah, it's really not a big deal. They are just names and it is used for correlation. It doesn't diminish the characters either way.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#38ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/19/14 at 2:48pm

The cast list is gone. Guess it's an honest error

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#39ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/19/14 at 3:19pm

I suspect that this document was made for legal, and not artistic, reasons. Disney owns certain iterations of the public-domain characters, but not others. By specifying in legal documents "Rapunzel's prince, i.e. Flynn Rider," that doesn't mean the Prince will be referred to as such, or even resemble that character. It simply will entail that Disney owns a specific iteration of the character, and clearly separate future licensing and marketing use of a princely character associated with Rapunzel.

I suspect that someone misinterpreted paperwork regarding intellectual property rights to the less public-domain-oriented characters in Into the Woods, and leaked it as "they're changing characters!"

Liza's Headband
#41ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/19/14 at 4:28pm

Regardless of whatever the article states, the list is not a "mistake." It was just a "mistake" to publicly post it on the official website.

What darque says rings true of this and I imagine that is, in fact, what happened. It's not too uncommon.

ShakinBaconGirl
#42ITW Film: Characters Renamed to Disney Counterparts?
Posted: 9/19/14 at 7:15pm

That's wonderful, headband. Now run along like a good little troll and bump some other 10 year old thread just to try and get a dig at Namo. Lord.

Videos