pixeltracker

Fiddler On The Roof Revival- Page 2

Fiddler On The Roof Revival

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:12am

If not Fiddler, it would be another Man Of la Mancha revival, or Guys & Dolls or On The Town. Scratch the last one because it is now upon us.

Heaven forbid we revive shows that have never had a revival before. At least we know Annie revivals are done for the future.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/2/14 at 11:12 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#26Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:19am

I would enjoy seeing a great production of Fiddler even if it doesn't bring anything particularly new to the fore. There seem to be so mhcb complaining about revivals not offering an innovative take on a classic and an equal amount of complaining about revivals having the audacity to offer an innovative take on a classic. Isn't it better to just see a revival (if you want) and judge whether it succeeds at its own aims? And if you don't want to see it, then don't.

Beyond which, there are certainly a great many people who, unlike many of us, have never seen Fiddler.

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 11:19 AM

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#27Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:23am

Kad, you're right there is no need to mess with a perfect show, but when we get a revival every 10 years they needa switch it up. The last revival was actually changed up a bit but got terrible reviews, and nobody liked it (i think i read that somewhere). I'd love to see a fully reimagined revival by Diane Paulus!! I also think they approached Nathan Lane to do the last revival, but turned it down because he didn't want his career to be like Zero Mostels. Nonetheless, I think he'd be perfect and would add a lot of comedy to it!! I should direct it!! I just hope forum and fiddler aren't coming in at the same time.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#28Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 11:58am

I saw the last revival with Harvey Fierstein and thought he was pretty amazing.

That said, I'd rather Sher do "Man of La Mancha" with Paolo Szot as Don Quixote (his rendition of "I, Don Quixote" is brilliant). I feel like I've seen Danny Burstein play Tevye before, as was stated above.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:00pm

How about one directed by John Doyle. Teyve playing a tuba?

Or

One by Diane Paulus where Teyve walks a high wire from one roof to another?

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/2/14 at 12:00 PM

Phillypinto
#30Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:19pm

Yes Mr. Roxy because Diane Paulus includes circus acts in all of her shows now (sarcasm). I really wanna see her revive all the good old fashioned musicals! And she would probably win tonys for all of them!!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:32pm

Sarcasm on BWW?

Who would have thought.

Poster Emeritus

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#32Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:35pm

Bringing back Fiddler for a limited run would be marvelous. Timing it in the mid-Spring would be wonderful and perhaps Danny Burstein can finally win his Tony Award. He is by far one stellar actor and a personal favorite of mine. He'd engulf himself in this role and turn himself into a true Broadway star. It's been 10 years since the last revival, and while that is still recent for some, it's culturally significant on many levels and would sell tickets.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:39pm

To Philly

You obviously did not get the fact that the Paulus remark (like the Doyle one ) was said in jest. A little thin skinned there son. Lighten up

I saw her do Hair so I know what she does.

Poster Emeritus

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#34Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 12:43pm

Paulus and Doyle should have a child so when he grows up we get a Tevya who walks a high wire while playing a tuba.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#35Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:27pm

in my way of thinking the movie version of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF is the most perfect adaptation of the famed musical...and that it should be revived in large format movie theatres to celebrate the 50th anniversary...

RIGHT?...OF COURSE RIGHT!...lol

Phillypinto
#36Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 1:58pm

To Mr. Roxy

You obviously did not get the fact that my comment was said in jest as well. A little thin skinned there. Lighten up

Sarcasm doesn't equal mean

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 01:58 PM

Wilmingtom
#37Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:09pm

Fiddler is part of the classic American musical theater repertoire and will always come back, as well it should. Of course if you don't care for it, you won't see it and fair enough. But there's a reason that people have been going to see it for over 50 years. Burstein would be an ideal Tevye. I'm not sure I understand the concept of "reinventing" it. Leveaux's production employed a set that veered from what we're used to but that in and of itslef doesn't qualify as "reimagining" the musical.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#38Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:15pm

Danny Burstein is one of my favorite actors but I worry his Tevye will be similar to his performances in Cabaret, The Snow Geese, and Talley's Folly.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Phillypinto
#39Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:22pm

No i will see it cause it has great music, and its a really nice story, its just the same exact thing every time, and Its getting old to me, especially since its done a LOT. This is THEATRE!! Its creativity. Reimagining a show is a great thing, and reinvigorates it!! Reinventing a classic, beloved musical can take it to a completely new level, and even add a layer of the story. Reimagining the show can give you a new love for Fiddler on the Roof. Thats why i love Diane Paulus cause thats exactly what she does. I never got why people are so against reimagining shows.

Liza's Headband
#40Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:27pm

Unless the re-imagining or "reinvention" of said piece will only improve upon what already exists and further illuminate the original writing, there is absolutely no need to completely change it. It worked in 1960 and it will work in 2014. That is why it's a classic.

Phillypinto
#41Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:44pm

"It worked in 1960 and it will work in 2014."
Liza's Headband, even though the story is universal and very relevant today, thats not necessarily true. There are plenty of classic shows that just don't work anymore because our comedy is completely different now. Why do you think we are getting all of these new books (i.e. Can Can, Gigi, Cinderella)? I saw CHANGE THAT SHOW UP!! haha I'm gonna email Bart Sher and give him my opinion and ideas!!

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 02:44 PM

Liza's Headband
#42Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:49pm

I was referring to FIDDLER and, in more broader terms, those pieces we all universally accept as "classics." Since when are CAN-CAN and GIGI considered classics?

Wilmingtom
#43Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:55pm

Philly, how exactly would you suggest reinventing Fiddler? Setting it in Michigan during the Great Depression? I don't think so. I guess I just don't understand what you mean by reinvention.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#44Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 2:58pm

Wilmington

I think you are on to something.

Poster Emeritus

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#45Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 3:39pm

I don't know about a total re-imagining, like changing the time or place (in fact, I think that would be silly), but after having seen so many different productions that are all staged essentially the same way, it would be interesting to see one that's allowed to change the staging and choreography. As great at the original Jerome Robbins choreography is, every professional production is required to use it, and if you've seen enough productions it's easy to sit in the audience and zone out a little because you know what's going to happen next. I would be curious to see what a different choreographer could do with the show.

Phillypinto
#46Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 3:54pm

LOL with such universal themes in the show, the possibilities are limitless!!! You could do a million things!! You can talk about real issues happening right now, doesn't have to be religion (gay, race). You can even incorporate marc chagall paintings (one of this paintings gave the idea of the musical in the first place). Change all the original blocking, and modernize it. More comedy. I think it would be really funny to set the show in a different time but still use the same language in the script. in 2011 Sheldon Harnick wrote two versions of the song, suitable for same-sex weddings, with minor word changes. For example, for male couples, changes include "When did they grow to be so handsome." And i bet a real director would come up with things a million times better than that!!

Phillypinto
#47Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 3:55pm

Yes beagle!!!

Liza's Headband, you're right Gigi, and Can Can aren't classics, but theres Pippin. That show is a classic, and people LOVE the new revival.

Updated On: 10/2/14 at 03:55 PM

Wilmingtom
#48Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 4:23pm

Philly, so your notion of reinvention is rewriting the musical? It is set in a very specific historical time and place that you can't take it out of. Change the blocking? So Motel enters stage left instead of stage right, or the classic bottle dance is replaced with a Hora qualifies as reinvention? "You can talk about real issues happening right now." As many modern musicals have (N2N, If/Then, Fun Home). But we're talking about Fiddler which is about a Jewish family in Russian in the early part of the last century facing expulsion from their home and country. If you'd like to right another musical, go for it, but show some respect for the extraordinary one that's already here.

Phillypinto
#49Fiddler On The Roof Revival
Posted: 10/2/14 at 4:31pm

Wilmingtom, I don't stand alone as someone who would love a different production. I get you like the show, but as theatre people, a lot of us love different productions of the same show. Even one of the creators changed lyrics to make it appropriate for someone else to sing. It sounds like you are more precious about the show than Sheldon is.

Latest Posts