Renee Zellweger

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#25Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 6:57am

Comment sections of online articles are usually FAR more hateful and critical than those I've seen on articles about Renee's change. In fact, a surprising majority of comments are supportive and relatively troll-free.
Contrary to the spin these blogs are putting on this, the public reaction seems to be, as others have said, more about the shock of her looking like a completely different person. It's like a science fiction or a spy movie come to life. It's not about her age or our expectations of women. I think people would be just as shocked/fascinated if Brad Pitt traded his pretty face for someone else's.

That's not to say that that kind of misogyny doesn't exist in spades. But have that conversation about people's reactions to Joan Rivers' face. Not Renee's. Two completely different public reactions.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#26Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 9:25am

I think that she looks fabulous! The only work that I can detect is a lid lift. The side by side photo's above show very little change, other than that.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 9:43am

It's so amazing to me how one little thing like that can really make someone look entirely different.

But Renee has spoken and given the perfect response to the "controversy"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#28Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 9:57am

Here and elsewhere, I’ve seen very little in the way of negative comments about her. I know I’m just joining the chorus of artscallion, jerseygirl, et al, but it’s more about the shock of seeing her again (I didn't realize until yesterday that she hasn't made a movie in four years or that that I personally haven’t seen any movies of hers since the second Bridget Jones movie) and looking like a different person.

I just can’t fathom why it’s the tepid and not unkind reaction to Renee Zellweger that’s bringing out such weird emotions in people. And these bizzaro think pieces that put the blame on us really make me bananas. Fine, we should stop commenting on people’s looks whatsoever, whether good (via nature or surgery), bad or whatever. (Although it’s pretty rich that one of those think pieces was Buzzfeed, of all places). But let's stop pretending that the women (and men) who do this to themselves aren't complicit, even if they comply due to the pressures of their industry.

I get that it’s no bed of roses to be in the public eye and under constant scrutiny and that having to age in the public eye isn't either. Although, frankly, the “have” is kind of a misnomer as no one is holding a gun to the heads of any of these people. That’s not to say that anyone deserves cruelty and invective for choosing to live their life in the public eye. I don’t wish undue cruelty on strangers, but I’m wearing a little thin with my sympathy for the "These poor people in the public eye..." as though they were born into a family of coal miners and have no choices or other options in life. It’s like Lady Gaga, who seems to have struggled and clawed her way to massive fame for the sole of reason of being able to bitch about it every chance she gets.

Updated On: 10/22/14 at 09:57 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:00am

At least Buzzfeed has both sides of the fence covered.

Jordan Catalano
#30Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:02am

I really think this is just another way for people to stand up and be self righteous and "protect" someone who doesn't need protecting because it's easy for them to do from behind a computer screen.

Like you said, the reactions have pretty much been very positive and yet people still are all about "I suppert you, Renee!" and "We shouldn't shame women!" #standwithrenee

It's absurd and proof that hashtag activists are bored out of their minds this week.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#31Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:21am

How is this about shaming women?

Wasn't it just last week when we all shocked at what happened to Bruce Jenner's face?

(Or is that considered misogyny as well?)

Jordan Catalano
#32Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:27am

It's NOT about shaming women. What I'm saying is that people all over the net are trying to make it about that and trying to make any discussion about Zellweger into a "YOU ARE SHAMING ALL WOMEN" discussion.

Gothampc
#33Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:41am

Renee bought the "Portio de Rossi Package". She should have spent the extra $10,000 and bought the "Angelina Jolie Package."

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Jordan Catalano
#34Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:50am

Ok, THERE is an (albeit fully expected) response that borders on offensive.

FindingNamo
#35Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 11:09am

I just want to remind people I prefaced my post with "it's complicated" and "contradictory."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jordan Catalano
#36Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 11:18am

Just like my most recent Facebook relationship statuses!

FindingNamo
#37Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 11:34am

Ha!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#38Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:04pm

One of the commenters on Gawker pointed out that she looks like an older version of herself circa Jerry Maguire, which I agree with.

I also didn't realize that she also, allegedly, had problems with drinking and bulimia, which could've caused the puffy face and "chipmunk" cheeks that so many of us remember. Knowing that, she probably did only have very minor work done, is taking better care of herself, and naturally lost some of her baby fat. Still a shocking transformation, though.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Jordan Catalano
#39Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:06pm

I'm just laughing today that people have amped up the "outrage" x100. Today is all about how awful men are for talking about a woman. A WOMAN!

FindingNamo
#40Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:10pm

She put me in mind of Celia Keenan-Bulger in Glass Menagerie.

Jordan Catalano
#41Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:13pm

Zellweger came out of her "couch" and emerged a limping woman in need of liberation from what MEN consider beauty. She had work done to please MEN in a MALE dominated society that PHYSICALLY HELD HER DOWN to literally please MEN.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#42Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:17pm

Maybe she really did have nothing done and the squinty-phase was a byproduct of something else? She didn't seem to go full on squnity till the early 2000s.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#43Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:24pm

How hilarious would it be if all she did was start wearing contacts.

....but the world goes 'round

Jordan Catalano
#44Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:24pm

Maybe. But, as men, if we discuss this public figure, than we're no better than rapists.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#45Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:28pm

How hilarious would it be if all she did was start wearing contacts.

I EL OH ELLED so hard.

Jordan Catalano
#46Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 12:30pm

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#47Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 1:05pm

Renee Zellweger

^ I don't know when this Defuser.fm article was first posted, but it was definitely before the recent hooplah, and the "Now" image of Renee looks very much like her current self. I'm thinking maybe her "squinty face" period was an anomaly and the artificial product of fillers, and that this is her natural face couple with maybe a lot of weight loss now.

See the Cast of ‘Empire Records’ Then and Now Updated On: 10/22/14 at 01:05 PM

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#48Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 1:09pm

Hello, Johnny Whitworth

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#49Renee Zellweger
Posted: 10/22/14 at 1:12pm

^ I agree. That man is amazingly photogenic, then and now.

Updated On: 10/22/14 at 01:12 PM