pixeltracker

do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?- Page 2

do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#25do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?
Posted: 10/23/14 at 5:11pm

oh, that was glorious!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?
Posted: 10/23/14 at 6:25pm

Lol! Sorry that I was being so obtuse..... in my head, I could only "see" (or maybe sound out?) La Boheme!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#27do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?
Posted: 10/23/14 at 6:42pm

I actually dismissed Cinderella as a kids show until it was the only show my mom and I agreed on that was still selling TKTS tickets. We absolutely loved it and I always forget how many adult jokes are in shows like that (and I obviously never bothered listening to cast recordings of it).

But I weirdly never thought of the Lion King as a show people would dismiss because of it maybe being labeled as a "kids show". When I think of it, I think of costumes and dance, not an age group.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#28do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?
Posted: 10/23/14 at 7:40pm

No problem. I personally think that he composed the best music for the movie and show and is very under appreciated for the success of the property.

jm10112
#29do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?
Posted: 10/23/14 at 8:24pm

I apoligize for being rude. I overreacted I apologize! You're entitled and I'm sure well read and thought out in your opinion and I am sorry that I acted childish.

jemjeb2
#30do a lot of people underestimate the Lion King by thinking it's a kids show?
Posted: 10/26/14 at 9:49pm

I saw Lion King when it was in previews, not long before it opened,. My friends and I saw it on a whim ( in NYC for a few days) bought tickets the day of the performance and were in the front of the orchestra (supposedly partial view, but litle was not seen.)We loved it - of course the spectacle of the opening - all those critters all around us - was unforgettable - but we thought the whole show was wonderful. Maybe too much hype after the opening left others less enchanted. But I am always surprised when others say the show is dull or the reaction like one here is "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz'. At any rate i have not seen it since - tickets are expensive and still hard to get and I feel really lucky to have just kind of seen it on a whim with no expectations.
I do have to admit though that that same year , I saw "Ragtime" in its LA premiere
which is right up there with my all time favorites and I was rooting for it to win the
Tony, but I also understood why Lion King dazzled enough voters to win. I also
understand why it is still successfully running. I still don't know why "Ragtime"
didn't find an audience though. It sure deserved one.