Going to Shows Alone?

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#50Going to Shows Alone?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 8:18pm

I started to go to shows alone when I was working in NYC. I worked in the city 1 or 2 weeks a month for about 2 years. At first, I thought it would be strange to see a show by myself, I usually go with my teenage daughter who is a huge theater fan. But after I went once by myself, I found it very enjoyable. As noted by others, I could get great seat when only needing one. You can't talk during the show. And, I have interesting conversations with people around me, including the mother of the lead actress in Lystrata Jones. :) It is a great way to spend the evening in NYC when you are there on business, just take your per diem money and spend it on a show ticket and then get a slice of pizza on the way back to the hotel. :)

nanillo17
#51Going to Shows Alone?
Posted: 10/30/14 at 8:55pm

I've gotten into going to shows by myself much more over the past few years but I've "hit my stride" since summer. I always held back on going to shows here in Chicago because it was hard to coordinate with friends or they weren't interested but now I gladly go by myself if something interests me enough. No reason to miss out on good theater even though I do enjoy going to shows with people.

I've also decided I'm going to see if I can make at least 1-2 planned NYC trips per year (if not more), and I have BWW to thank for this...I always waited for things to come to Chicago and see them here, and while I'll still do it for some I'm now more exposed to what's going on in NYC and elsewhere that my desire to see shows keeps growing. I guess it's not a bad "addiction" to have :)

Next NYC trip is in two weeks and looking forward to it!

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#52Going to Shows Alone?
Posted: 10/31/14 at 8:28pm

I travel from Boston regularly, at least once a month, to go to the theatre and the opera. Always alone. It's just much less complicated and far more enjoyable (for me) not to worry if a travel companion/date is enjoying the show.
And I have to second the person who said great seats are easier to come by flying solo--especially if one uses TDF, TKTS or Goldstar as often I do.
If it happens that a conversation with a stranger ensues during intermission or after the show, great! If not, no big loss. That's why one should carry a book or magazine when at the theatre or dinner alone.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#53Going to Shows Alone?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 1:30am

I usually wound up going alone, at least seeing POTO. He went to NY with me to see Les Miz, but he drew the line and yet ANOTHER POTO performance.

The last time I was in NY, I got a half price single seat, center section, Row S or closer, for Book of Mormon -- heckuva bargain.

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#54Going to Shows Alone?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 8:01am

I enjoy going to shows with a companion for the simple reason that it is something to discuss afterwards.

But I'll go to shows alone and don't mind at all. There's more flexibility.

If I feel lonely during a performance, I just take out my cell phone and start texting my friends or have a phone conversation about what is going on during the show. (Okay, just kidding. I would never.)

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

jemjeb2
#55Going to Shows Alone?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 10:47pm

Theatre or movies - i enjoy both by myself. But have to admit I had to get over (many years ago) feeling like a loser when I did so. When I do go with friends it's fun to talk about the show after. But then I find I am a little annoyed if the group doesn't want to talk about the show much and I'm still hyped. On the other hand, by myself there's no talking about the show afterwards at all. (except here :) )

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#56Going to Shows Alone?
Posted: 11/2/14 at 10:51pm

I don't talk to people next to me before a show if I've gone alone, since inevitably they'll be the ones talking during it, making shushing more awkward.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt