Broadway Tickets in June

kimalysong
#1Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 11/30/14 at 9:18pm

I've decided I really want to see a Broadway show for my birthday in June.

I am set on one of these 3 shows: The King and I, Skylight, or the Audience. Although I can't decide which one. I'd love to go to more than one but at current prices I am not sure if that is possible.

I am also not sure if it is best to buy the tickets now or to wait a bit. I am also don't know if there is any way to find cheaper tickets for any of these particular shows. I know about lining up the day of the show but as none of these shows may be available I wouldn't want to risk that. I live about 2 hours from NYC.

Sorry if any of these questions are stupid I just thought this was the best place to ask for advice.

Updated On: 11/30/14 at 09:18 PM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 11/30/14 at 9:43pm

If you're between 21 and 35, you can join LincTix and get a ticket to The King and I for $35. It's a great program. Also, The Audience will likely have SRO if you want to see that. I don't know if Skylight will have a rush policy but you can check Broadwayforbrokepeople.com or Playbill for details as the date approaches.

Good luck!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#2Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 12/1/14 at 1:28am

It depends on what you mean by "lining up for shows." If you mean TKTS, then sure, don't do that, that may be a waste of time. But if any of these shows has a rush or SRO policy, that would enable you to see more than one.

Since you are picking two star vehicles, and a Lincoln Center performance, which has a decent subscriber base, you are limiting your ability to get discounted tickets in advance, most likely.

Skylight ends its run on June 14, and the last week of any show like that gets crazy sold out, since all the procrastinators have run out of time. Shows where you could have gotten discounted perfect seats three weeks earlier often end up completely sold out, and the rush/SRO lines can get crazier as a result.

Similarly, The Audience wraps up on June 28. So, the same thing will occur that final week, as well, most likely. Although I assume you're coming earlier in June if you want to potentially see them both, and the earlier the better.

King and I could potentially have discounts for side/mezz, but it is way too soon to tell. But if you didn't get seats in advance, you can often get good seats close to the performance date, as subscribers can change their plans and switch to a later performance up to a day or so in advance of the show they booked, etc.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#3Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 12/1/14 at 2:11am

www.broadwaybox.com offers discount codes applicable to many shows, but not the specific three shows you are interested in at this time.

Perhaps consider picking two other shows that are easier to get good discounted tickets for in advance? Or wait to see if any discounts for Skylight or the Audience pop up somehow? (possible but not probable)

Updated On: 12/1/14 at 02:11 AM

kimalysong
#4Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 12/1/14 at 10:44am

Thanks everyone for the tips, the information about LincTix was especially helpful. I will at least try booking tickets for King and I. $35 is a great price.

I would still like to possibly see The Audience or Skylight as well. I was thinking the weekend of June 5-7 or possibly even the Monday or Tuesday. I am flexible with dates since I haven't booked anything yet or took days off. I could even go earlier like in May I just picked the June dates since that was around my b-day and they seemed good enough as any.

However the issue with rush tickets I would have to plan to stay over (which of course is an extra expense) or get there really early. I know there is no information on rush tickets yet but generally how early do people line up for them each day? Knowing that would help me plan things in advance.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#5Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 12/1/14 at 11:49am

Going in May might be better. Once the Tony noms come out, a lot of these might get harder to get tix to. (Also after Memorial Day weekend, it's more touristy as kids get out of school.) I know the Schoenfeld (where The Audience will be) has SRO. But, yes, you'd likely have to get there early. Skylight might have a discount code.

ArtMan
#6Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 12/2/14 at 7:54am

June 5-7 is Tony weekend. Busy time for shows. Also some shows do not have a June 7 performance. I am not under 35, so LincTix is not an option for me. I kind of thought The King and I would be a hot commodity before and after reviews so I purchased a ticket already for the first week in June. Even that far in advance, the lower price tickets were already selling and I had to decide on which day gave me better seating options.

kimalysong
#7Broadway Tickets in June
Posted: 12/2/14 at 10:14pm

Thanks everyone for all your help. Because of the awesome LincTix deal I got tickets to King and I for the 1st weekend in May (a Saturday evening show). Also convinced 3 of my friends to join and come as well (which shocked me I was so sure they would say no).

Not sure if Skylight or the Audience will work out but seeing 1 of the 3 at such a great price is really not bad.