New Tony Predictions?

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#75New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:08am

bluetuna, it seems like all the musical revivals are gonna be good this year. I just think On the Town will be the one to not be nominated. And there are soo many better women that are/will give better performances than Alysha Umphress. She was good, but i doubt she will get recognized for a Tony.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#76New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 5:32pm

I think Gigi could very likely be nominated for best revival. I saw it last evening and it was as beautiful and enchanting as Cinderella two seasons ago, AND it is still in previews of its out-of-town tryout, so it is far from its most perfect and complete form. I doubt it will win, but I suspect it will provide some...formidable competition for On The Town. The show has a lot of strengths and doesn't really have any weak components. You all may be surprised by how good it is, but it is VERY good. Just my opinion, though.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#77New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 7:00pm

"I just think On the Town will be the one to not be nominated"

It got raves and a love letter by the times. It's definitely getting in. Are you SURE you are in the industry? hmmmmm...

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Phillypinto
#78New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 7:05pm

Bilbo3, it seems like all of the musical revivals will be getting raves this season. Gigi, The King and I, and On the 20th Century might give On the Town a fun for its money. All shows are fair game, but if I had to say right now, I think On the Town will be the one not nominated. And do you really think a "love letter" from the times is going to nominate something?

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#79New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 7:12pm

Would you care to explain Why you have this opinion? Also, I have seen nothing that indicates that King and I or Gigi will be getting raves. I doubt King and I has even done a full run through yet. Maybe you know something I don't (doubtful).

All shows are fair game but we have hardly seen half the revivals coming out this season, so I'm not entirely sure I know what you are talking about when you say "all shows are fair game".

Yes, I do think the Times loving On the Town will help it get a nomination. It got raves all across the board. It's pretty much the best reviewed revival of the season as of now. So Yes I do think it will get a nomination.

Updated On: 1/26/15 at 07:12 PM

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#80New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 7:13pm

I feel like if they're giving anything a run for its money, it's Side Show that would be left without a nomination

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#81New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 7:14pm

"It seems like all of the musical revivals will be getting raves this season."

Please keep in mind that both The King & I as well as On the Twentieth Century will be opening cold in New York, meaning there will be no pre-conceived notions about ether production from out-of-town. Luckily, On the Twentieth Century will begin previews two weeks from this Thursday, so we'll see if that's gonna be a contender. Updated On: 1/26/15 at 07:14 PM

Phillypinto
#82New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 8:38pm

lol The King and I and On the 20th Century will be amazing. Bilbo3, you have your opinion and i have mine. We will see what happens in April...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#83New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 8:43pm

I think that the last slot is going to either go Gigi or Side Show. I have a hard time seeing On The Town NOT getting a nomination.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Phillypinto
#84New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 8:55pm

WRONG

getatme
#85New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 9:13pm

How do you KNOW On the 20th Century and The King & I are going to be amazing? Granted, The King & I has a team with proven success, you're telling everyone who thinks On the Town has a shot at being nominated that they're wrong because these two productions that no one has seen a performance of yet are definite locks for nominations.

Why don't you just let everyone voice their opinion and see who's right come April 28th.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#86New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 9:16pm

"you're telling everyone who thinks On the Town has a shot at being nominated that they're wrong"

Without giving one single reason other than "King and I and Gigi are going to be amazing". lolz

acekatherineplumber2 Profile Photo
acekatherineplumber2
#87New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:20pm

I will say that I think Gigi will certainly be nominated. It is an amazing show. I also think that On The Town most certainly will be nominated as well. It remains to be seen how 20th Century and King & I do, I guess.

Phillypinto
#88New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:59pm

Bilbo3, my reasons are that The King and I has the same team as South Pacific and Light in the Piazza, and we all know how those shows went. Gigi has a new book which makes it more worthy of being nominated, and according to many people, they are loving it in DC. I feel the same way about Side Show with its changes. Scott Ellis is a great director, and I can't see On the 20th Century not being good, especially with Kristin Chenoweth in the role she was born to play. Theres nothing that really stands out about On The Town IMO except the choreo. Tell me why you think On the Town is better than the other shows?

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#89New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:15pm

"Theres nothing that really stands out about On The Town IMO except the choreo"

That's not a valid reason because many many many people would disagree with you on that, including critics and tony voters. To be frank, it doesn't really matter what you or I thought of the show, the industry embraced it and therefor it stands a great chance at getting nominated. Just cause we personally don't like something, has no bearing on if it will get nominated or not. When it comes to awards, we have to look at them objectively.

" Tell me why you think On the Town is better than the other shows?"

It's doesn't matter what I think is better. What matters is what is more embraced by the industry. Side show got good reviews but did not receive the praise On The Town got, so that leads me to believe On The Town stands a better chance at getting a nomination. King And I and the others aren't out yet so I can't say much about them.

Updated On: 1/26/15 at 11:15 PM

Phillypinto
#90New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:22pm

lol i don't think On the Town has been embraced as much as you think. I know a lot of people who thought it was eh

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#91New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:24pm

Well you "work in the industry" so I guess you know more than I. New Tony Predictions?

Phillypinto
#92New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:30pm

thats right

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#93New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:40pm

"The King and I has the same team as South Pacific and Light in the Piazza, and we all know how those shows went. "

If/Then had the same team as N2N...

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#94New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:44pm

^And Young Frankenstein had the same team as The Producers...

Phillypinto
#95New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:46pm

except we already know The King and I already works...

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#96New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:48pm

Just like the Guys and Doll revival right?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#97New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/26/15 at 11:49pm

A lot of shows have been proven to work but still have tepid revivals without that special spark.

I'm not arguing that you're wrong, since I don't care what gets nominated. It just seems silly to be so sure based on opinions.

Of course, you've never let evidence get in the way of having an opinion. New Tony Predictions?

Phillypinto
#98New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/27/15 at 12:12am

its called a prediction, hater, which i backed up with facts and explained myself. Go back and re-read all of my posts about the musical revivals of the season.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#99New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/27/15 at 12:31am

You haven't backed up anything. "Oh I heard not many people think On the Town is that good" isn't backing up anything. You have every right to your opinion, even if it is misguided.

And for the future, Please don't insult my intelligence. You aren't an industry member. Show some respect to the people who bother to converse with you.