pixeltracker

Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?- Page 2

Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?

broadwayguy2
#25Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/29/15 at 6:24pm

Well, I think an exact reason could easily be laid out into the story, but..
As far as getting her INTO the tower, I would easily assume that the tower once had a door, especially the tower as designed in the film, but as Rapunzel grew and she wanted to wander, the Witch would have bricked it up, locking her inside with no way out.
As far as why she chooses to climb the hair, I would venture that the Witch has a hunger and need to know that Rapunzel is absolutely and unquestioningly devoted to her and having her endure the daily pain of having her hair climbed is what makes the Witch feel that.

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#26Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/29/15 at 6:59pm

I've seen this explained by a poster on IMDB as, the witch cast a spell by which the ONLY way to get into the tower was to say the 'magic words' 'Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair to me.' It's how the witch makes sure that nobody else gets into the tower but her, or so she thinks. It makes sense to me, so that's the explanation I'd go with.

What I'd like to know is, why hasn't Rapunzel figured out after living in the tower for a lifetime that all she has to do is wind her hair around the hook a few times, and it would take ALL the weight off her scalp when someone climbs her braid? Hmm...

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#27Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/29/15 at 7:41pm

^ Fan fiction. It's a plot hole, people. lord.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#28Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/29/15 at 7:53pm

My impression was that the witch can apparate from place to place in a lateral direction but not very high up - that is, she can make herself appear in that tree but she can't go much higher than that and not high enough to make it to the top of the tower.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#29Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/29/15 at 9:07pm

Is it so bad that the story isn't absolutely air-tight?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#30Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/29/15 at 9:23pm

Not really. If they had bothered to right a few dialogue lines bringing up the question, it would have been redundant.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#31Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 9:34am

Obviously she had to climb Rapunzel's hair so that she couldn't use hair actually as yellow as gold for the spell at the end of Act I. Can't miss out on Jack's one moment of genius in the entire show.

It's a plot contrivance that I have no problem with. So much of Into the Woods' set up comes from the original Grim Brothers' Rapunzel that I just accept it. All that vegetable garden and curse stuff comes from the story, too.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#32Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 9:41am

"That cow doesn't look as red as blood to me."

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Brian07663NJ
#33Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 9:58am

Speaking of holes...

Am I the only one who ever really wondered while watching Company if Marta's was really all that loose?

broadwayguy2
#34Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 12:19pm

Trent, in the show, it is the a Mysterious Man's moment of genius. In the film, well cutting that character...

Showface
#35Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:15pm

I always thought the Witch had teleportation powers...

But, I've figured that the she climbed her hair for a mother-daughter bonding moment or something...

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#36Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:49pm

If we're getting into technicalities, a more apt question would be how did she get in when Rapunzel was an infant?? Or was it proved that she didn't live there until she was older?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 1/30/15 at 10:49 PM

MrJude Profile Photo
MrJude
#37Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/31/15 at 1:00am

She climsb the hair because in the original story she climbs the hair. She does it. It's funny. Get a grip.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#38Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?
Posted: 1/31/15 at 7:25am

Well if you're going to get picky, a better question would be why didn't Rapunzel tie the far end of her hair to something and use it to climb down herself and then cut herself free?

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.