Emma Hunton left Wicked?

RW3
#1Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/17/15 at 7:42pm

It looks like Emma Hunton is take a break from Wicked. This was pointed out to me on my Twitter timeline and that it appears that Jennifer DiNoia has taken over the role of Elphaba again. Can anyone confirm this?

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#2Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/17/15 at 8:13pm

Yup she's gone. Hasn't been on for 16 shows in a row and tonight Emmy Raver-Lampman will be on(confirmed to me from someone who works backstage) until Jennifer DeNoia takes over the role. She's now on the Wicked Website as Elphaba and will be taking over the role to close out Tour 1 on March 15th.

ETA: Jenny will start tomorrow night.

Updated On: 2/17/15 at 08:13 PM

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#2Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/17/15 at 8:20pm

So Jennifer has done Chicago, London, First National, Broadway & Australia?

And is the First National closing or something?

broadwayboy223
#3Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/17/15 at 8:35pm

What happens to Emma?

Wicked Fanatic
#4Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/17/15 at 8:39pm

Jenny headed Tour 2 for a long time so add that in. She also performed in the Australian tour when it went to the Philippines and then to Korea before they opened their own production which is playing there now.

Yes, the First National Tour, the Emerald City Tour is ending in Los Angeles at the Pantages on March 15th. Check the Wicked Website and you'll see that there will only be one touring company after this date.
http://www.wickedthemusical.com/north-american-tour-tickets

Supposedly it will take time off to reopen probably in 2016 with a completely new cast and most likely a new union contract to boot.

JamesBroadwayWiner Profile Photo
JamesBroadwayWiner
#5Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/17/15 at 8:39pm

I would also like to know the status of the tour after its LA run. Will it close or will it go on haitus? I haven't heard anything official. But it seems to me that it would not be a great move to close the tour considering it is doing very well in terms of ticket sales.

"Brevity is the soul of wit"--Hamlet

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#6Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/17/15 at 10:34pm

Two weeks ago, I saw Emma in the show, but Emmy replaced her at intermission. Both were great and Emma ended Act One strong, but I could tell when she placed the earlier parts of "Defying Gravity" in her chest and not head voice that her voice was on its last songs for the night. I thought Emma was great in Act One, and Emmy was great in Act Two!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#7Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 12:27am

I saw Emma 8 times. The first time was in the very first performance in this run. She was soo sick. I couldn't understand why the understudy didn't go on for her. She later did sound better but towards my 7 and 8th visit i could tell she wasn't giving her all. the last time i went (my 9th) i saw the understudy.. she wasn't as good as emma.. even on her sick days. she was just plain. I cant wait to see Jennifer.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 12:51am

I really hate how this score just shreds amazing actress's voices to the point they can no longer perform the role. Idina was never the same after this show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 12:51am

I really hate how this score just shreds amazing actress's voices to the point they can no longer perform the role. Idina was never the same after this show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 12:52am

I think Idina's voice and technique are far better now than during Wicked.

Updated On: 2/18/15 at 12:52 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 12:55am

Her voice was much cleaner before Wicked

BigRed
#12Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 1:12am

I'm sure this answer isn't really out there...but is there any indication why Emma left earlier? Was it in fact a voluntary choice on her part because of vocal issues? She said something on her Twitter that she is OK, just wondering if anyone possibly knew why?

ElphabaGoodman
#13Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 1:59am

Wicked Fanatic:

Just wanted to say that Jenny actually only ever filled in for the Australian production, which then went on an Asia tour. She was only in Sydney as standby very briefly and then a few months in Korea, not the Philippines. That company is currently in Brisbane, Australia, not Korea.

Wicked Fanatic
#14Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 2:34am

Thanks ElphabaGoodman about the info on her performances with the Australian company; never knew whether she went on there or not. As for the Korean performance it was during the Australian tour which then closed in Seoul. Later it reopened with Korean performers in their native tongue which obviously did not star Jennifer.
Planning to try the lottery tomorrow night as I've longed to see Jennifer perform the role of Elphaba.

StephieElise
#15Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 7:01am

Jennifer was the Elphaba standby for about a month in the sit down Sydney season and then for the Seoul leg of the Australia/Asia/New Zealand tour. As for the order of that tour went Melbourne (sit down), Sydney (sit down) then toured to Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Singapore, Seoul, Auckland, Manila, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and then it's heading back to Perth.

It is a pity that the role takes such a toll vocally. Amanda Harrison, the original Australian Elphaba, had to quit for fear of losing her voice (she definitely seems to have recovered nicely though!). Jemma Rix, the current Australian Elphaba, has been doing the role pretty consistently since 2008/09. While I know she has a lot of fans, I don't find that she pushes the role as hard vocally as many Elphabas. However, it certainly seems to be a lot better for her voice, so it's a good thing for her in the long run.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#16Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:24am

I was always surprised there was no standard set for having an Elphaba alternate. So many could've benefitted from that!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

evic
#17Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:24am

If she speaks English, Broadway should bring in Danna Paola from the Mexican production. She is spectacular and can be seen in many videos of the show on youtube. The Glinda is damn good too....and gorgeous.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#18Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:34am

The idea that Menzel's voice was destroyed by WICKED is just out-there, not even speculative. Ask any singer: whatever you think of her sound, she has if anything polished her technique.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

broadwayboy223
#19Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:40am

Yes idina has improved but her upper belting range past a D is probably pushing it for her. I think whatever belting ability she had past that is probably gone. From what I can tell Emma has the flu supposedly. Its a shame she's gone I saw her twice in the tour when it came through Oklahoma. She was wonderful. She has a fantastic voice and her acting was so connected. Her and Gina beck had a wonderful connection as well.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#20Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:46am

Menzel is 43, singing well 8 times a week. If her voice has changed, it's typical of all singers as they age. One might argue that her sound is richer. She's been singing for three decades, since the start of adolescence. She's bound to have altered range as she enters middle age, albeit with minimally negative results. Go back and listen to the great singers; they developed a different sound as they got older. The new post-Idol concept of mega-belting until death is a bizarre new phenom. But WICKED didn't damage Menzel.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

neonlightsxo
#21Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:53am

Anyone who has been reading these boards long enough knew we predicted this would happen as soon as she was cast. Her voice was shredded even before she started playing Elphaba.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#22Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 11:02am

I hope the movie doesn't make ticket sales go down for the show.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#23Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 11:09am

I would really like to see Jenny come back to broadway...replace Caroline...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#24Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 11:17am

Menzel's voice seems to have recovered, but it was definitely damaged after her run in Wicked. Go watch the DVD of the Chess concert if you need proof of this.

Videos