News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Emma Hunton left Wicked? - Page 2

Emma Hunton left Wicked?

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#25Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 11:31am

Idina wore her voice out before one full year with Wicked. She wasn't near her best form vocally when the cast changed in 2004 and, while she made progress before her time in London, it was still a bit iffy.

Obviously she's made a great deal of improvement since then, but when she did damage just like a lot of the Elphabas. Eden got shrill and Shoshana was ALL over the place (I believe even straining her vocal chords during her last few weeks on Broadway?).

I know some actresses got an alternate but I'm wondering too why there isn't a set standard.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#26Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 12:50pm

If Christine Daaé requires an alternate due to difficulties in the score, then I believe that Elphaba should have one, too. It would do a lot of actresses in this show good if they had a performance or two off during the week to rest.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#27Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 1:01pm

I might be mistaken, but I was pretty sure that the Elphaba standby on broadway usually performs at least once a week, usually one of the 2 Saturday shows? At least they did in the fall.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#28Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 1:06pm

Elphaba standbys definitely go on a decent amount but if you averaged it out over the course of a contract I bet it's not weekly. And there's no specific alternate schedule for Elphaba to have a show off.

Christine Dwyer was nearing the end of her run this fall and dealt with a couple of bad colds so I know her standby was called upon a bit during that time period.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#29Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 1:42pm

I believe the only productions to have a set "alternate" schedule was the Mexico Production, the German/Dutch productions and I think the Korean/Japanese productions. Every other production seem to have the standby go on whenever needed instead. I think its absurd. If you look at the Elphaba's from those productions, they benefited greatly from an alternate. There is no question that the role is vocally demanding, but physically too. The actress has to be onstage for roughly 90-95% of the show, wear a 30 lbs. dress for an entire act, run around backstage and fall to the floor numerous times and be surrounded by fog for two of her most vocally demanding songs.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#30Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 6:56pm

Would the alternate also be the standby on the days the regular person does play?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

fingerlakessinger
#31Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 7:01pm

Yup. They basically have set days they go on and then perform when the lead is sick.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

anewlife2011
#32Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 7:43pm

In response to Menzels voice, she also had a child, and when a woman gives birth she usually loses about two notes...

theCucumberSandwich
#33Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 7:50pm

Jemma Rix in the Australian production generally does 6 out of 8 shows a week. It isn't set in stone as to when her alternate goes on, but it's generally Wednesday matinee, and one of the Sunday shows. This is a good example of how only doing six a week instead of 8 is better for the voice. Jemma hardly misses a show and has been playing the role almost non-stop for about seven years.

RW3
#34Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 8:10pm

The same goes for Danna. In the time she was in Wicked, her voice only improved. I think it is because of the alternate system they had set up. I think Wicked producers should start implementing that into the Broadway and West End productions, possibly even the tours. At least, they could have the lead Elphaba do 7 sevens a week and the alternate do one show to get started.

Pauly3
#35Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 8:40pm

Saw Emmy Raver-Lampman last night. Although not a big fan of Wicked - and not familiar with other actresses takes, I thought Emmy was excellent. I hope to see her in more as her career continues.

I saw Wicked, for my only time, several years ago in the back of the mezzanine at the Pantages and didn't come away with a strong opinion either way. I was able to sit towards the front in the orchestra last night and liked the show better than I recall my first time through. However the enormity of Wicked's success remains a mystery for me...

By the way, the Pantages was near sold out. According to Ticketmaster, I think 16 seats were unsold several hours prior to showtime. Pretty amazing for a Tuesday night well into the run.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#36Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 3:29am

consider me one of those who believe Elphaba should absolutely have a set alternate schedule. Hands down.

dazza24
#37Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 10:46am

Absolutely agree that there should be altrnate Elphabas. Jackie Burns was one of my favourite Elphabas and then she got sick towards the end of her run and couldnt finish, such a shame. But it seems she has recovered well.

Saw Jenni in London several times and she smashed it, one of the best Elphabas out there.

neonlightsxo
#38Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 10:58am

"In response to Menzels voice, she also had a child, and when a woman gives birth she usually loses about two notes... "

Yeah? tell that to Rachel Tucker.

Pootie2
#39Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 11:12am

Voice changes during pregnancy usually correct after birth (e.g. Kristen Bell had to re-record parts of Frozen). Not changing back is rare and more likely to be a disorder. Voice changes in women happen during menstrual cycle, middle-age pre-menopausal, and post-menopause.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 2:42pm

I feel for Idina. She has been painted into this musical corner where people feel cheated if she doesn't belt her tits off. She has a beautiful voice and conveys emotion beautifully in song without the belting, but people keep writing these throat raking songs for her that become a part of her songbook. People will always want to hear them.

I think genetics plays a huge part too. I think there are a few vocalists I've seen that Im unsure if it is technique, self-care or DNA, but they can wail with no issues and recover quickly. Mazzie, Gaga, Jackie Burns and Carmen Cusack are among them.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

fingerlakessinger
#41Emma Hunton left Wicked?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 3:05pm

After seeing Idina in IF/THEN on Valentine's day, I think she is one of the few artists out there who can give a beautiful performance both vocally and acting wise. Her presence onstage is dynamite, and part of that is because her voice is not the most "perfect" voice.
Back to Emma. She has not tweeted much else other then that everything is fine so I'm not sure what is keeping her from performing her full contract. I do hope she comes back sometime.

Videos