Posted: 3/10/15 at 5:23pm

Everything.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#26Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/10/15 at 5:25pm

Except Blythe Danner.

EXCEPT BLYTHE DANNER.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#27Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/10/15 at 5:30pm

Well I'm glad I didn't see it.

Gothampc
#28Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:03am

In the Toulon production, nobody explained "I'm Still Here" to the Carlotta actress, did they? Or else, she must be the artistic director's wife, because her acting is, how do they say in French, le pew.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#29Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 1:47am

Not to mention that the 2001 Roundabout version of LOVELAND was a complete joke, a horrible joke... Where was Bartlett Sher when we needed him?!

I'd take the 2011 revival's version of LOVELAND over THAT by any day of the week.

Updated On: 3/11/15 at 01:47 AM

Nosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
#30Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 4:45am

No, Nicole Croisille is just an actress and (mainly jazz) singer who's been doing her job on stage and screen since the late 1950s. I like her way of tackling the part !

Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"

Gothampc
#31Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 10:04am

"I like her way of tackling the part"

I don't like the way she rushes through the line "been called a commie, pinko tool..."

That's what I always hated about Elaine Stritch's performance. She would croak, she would scream, she would rush things. Blasting past notes, talk singing several notes in a row and rushing through lyrics is not acceptable for Sondheim music.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#32Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 10:08am

I haven't seen this production, but the DVD cover makes me laugh.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 10:24am

It's not terrible, but it's not very good, either.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#34Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 11:40am

Having considered making the journey to see this and deciding against it, I shall probably buy the DVD. The strength of the production will be David Charles Abell conducting a (presumably) full orchestra and a cast that is at least more consistent than the forthcoming Royal Albert Hall concert. Having initially thought she was miscast, I found Liz Robertson to be a surprisingly good Joanne in a regional production of Company several years ago so I would hope she delivers here as well.

Updated On: 3/11/15 at 11:40 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:11pm

Is this REALLY the "Who's That Woman" from this production?

http://youtu.be/x714E755jII

I don't mean this to be unkind, but why do all the women look like old drag queens?

Dollypop
#36Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 12:52pm

I saw the Roundabout production towards the end of its run and by then the performances had really settled. Blythe Danner and Judith Ivey were really quite good. I thought Gregory Harrison was the standout, though.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#37Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 3:40pm

Well, the orchestra does sound fantastic.

And, from the theatregoing accountant's perspective, the DVD is a lot cheaper than the money I might have spent on a EuroStar ticket.

Full cast and creatives here:

http://www.operadetoulon.fr/spectacles/lyrique-follies/6.htm

Solange was played by a male actor...
Denis D'Arcangelo

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#38Follies on DVD
Posted: 3/11/15 at 3:57pm

Well, that accounts for one of them.