pixeltracker

ZORBA at City Center Encores!- Page 2

ZORBA at City Center Encores!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#25ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:06pm

Thought about Hawke also, but he's done Macbeth more recently than Chekhov.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#26ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:09pm

Like most people, I forgot about his Macbeth.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

henrikegerman
#27ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:11pm

Wit and Wisdom for AC!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#28ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:18pm

How about Judy Kaye as Hortense? Linda Emond would be divine, but maybe that'd be like K&E overkill for her. (Although, FOR ME, there is no such thing as K&E overkill.)

I just hope they use the original opening line to "Life Is." It's such a startling line, though I can hear the geriatric crowd at Encores! complaining that it's too depressing. Though, in their defense, does anyone close to their final trip to the graveyard want to hear such a line in the first two minutes of a musical?

Anyway, I'm more excited for this Encores! than the other two priors this season, though I did enjoy LADY BE GOOD and PAINT YOUR WAGON very much.

henrikegerman
#29ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 12:24pm

It's a stretch, and she might be a little old for Turturro, but I like the Kaye idea. (Rita and Anita are way too old)

Olga Merediz
Alma Cuervo
Kate Burton
Maria de Medeiros
Jayne Atkinson

Lynda Carter!

Has Amanda Plummer ever sang?

Updated On: 3/24/15 at 12:24 PM

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#30ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 1:51pm

"I just hope they use the original opening line to "Life Is." It's such a startling line, though I can hear the geriatric crowd at Encores! complaining that it's too depressing. "

Yes, as I said earlier in this thread--I hope they stick to the original production concept and script/lyrics. Many small changes were made for the revival (and two big song ones) and they all do this great musical a disservice.

After Eight
#31ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 2:19pm

"Many small changes were made for the revival (and two big song ones) and they all do this great musical a disservice."

Nothing short of a complete overhaul could have helped this deadly musical.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#32ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 2:27pm

Eric, I can barely even listen to the revival recording, but the OBCR is an absolute treasure. I also pray they don't change a single lyric from the original. The score is brilliant- I'm not familiar with the actual book, but if it's even half the score's equal then show as a whole must very powerful.

Couldn't be more excited for this Encores. As much as I loved the first two offerings this season I'm with jv that this is the one to be truly thrilled about.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#33ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 2:34pm

Once again, After Death sucks the joy and enthusiasm out of any thread he posts in.

Whizzer, I've longed for Encores! to do more Kander and Ebb, particularly FLORA, THE RED MENACE (in its original state, if that's allowed) and THE RINK and THE HAPPY TIME. Note that they have included the exclamation point in the title, rather than just ZORBA, as it was listed in the 1983 production. Maybe ZORBA! means it'll be the original text and score and Hal Prince concept.

Supposedly, Amanda Plummer is hell to work with, henrik, and I don't think difficult people gel with Encores! at all. It's such a mad rush that there's really no time to be a pain in the ass, as far as I've heard.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#34ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 2:39pm

Yes, they definitely need to do more K&E. The Rink needs to be restored to the original version (none of this crap about cutting Angel's Rink and Social Center). Even though it's ripe for a full revival, Encores should tackle Spiderwoman as well.

The Happy Time OBCR is excellent...doesn't seem like there's much to the show though. I guess that makes it just right for an Encores setting.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#35ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 2:43pm

THE HAPPY TIME is perfect for Encores!. The cast album is very abridged, as far as I know. There's not only a ballet or two not preserved, but Goulet's 11 o'clock number (It's called "Being Alive", oddly enough. COMPANY was still two years away.) is not on their either.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#36ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 2:47pm

I actually would love to see them do All About Us, the final final final final Kander and Ebb score. I hear the show is not great, but I love the demo recording and would love a complete cast album. The song rain is fabulous.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#37ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 3:01pm

I haven't seen Zorba! on stage--but I do own the Random House edition of the original libretto and I think it's quite strong, and often surprisingly subtle and ambiguous (at least that's how it reads.) Of course Joseph Stein being the writer was another reason the show originall suffered expectations of being a Greek Fiddler--which it certainly is not (thematically, or in any other way.)

The Chita tour in 1970 did apparently make some changes (including a new song, Bouboulina that wasn't in the revised revival though Woman and Mine Song were added obviously--two songs I don't feel do much.)

Never noticed that the revival dropped the exclamation point! Anyway am very interested to find out more about the Encores production. (And, wow, just the very idea of Ethan Hawke playing Zorba is... Wow.

Fantod, I believe Over and Over/All About Us is back to being tied up due to rights issues with Thornton Wilder's estate.

henrikegerman
#38ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 3:53pm

You know who might be a marvelous Hortense? Isabella Rossellini.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#39ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 4:34pm

I think Liza could do a bitchin' Hortense.

ZORBA at City Center Encores!

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

wonkit
#40ZORBA at City Center Encores!
Posted: 3/24/15 at 4:49pm

I am really sorry to hear that the Zorba will not be a singer. I am getting a little tired of tolerating non-singers in roles that can be gloriously sung. I heard Bernardi and he will be hard to match.