pixeltracker

Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?

Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 10:51am

In the Playbill, the title page says Natasha Katz. However, the bio is for Jeff Croiter. Who is actually the lighting designer?

(AND, how is it possible that this huge error could be made with such a prominent creative team member???)

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#2Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 10:55am

How odd.  Both the title page and bio in my March 24 (second preview) Playbill list Jeff Croiter. 

The Playbill.com show page also lists Natasha Katz:

Something Rotten!

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 4/5/15 at 10:55 AM

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 11:15am

FWIW, same here - Jeff Croiter name and bio. Perhaps they made the mistake in the April Playbill?

Curious thing - I got my ticket for the second preview that morning, got to the theater about twenty minutes before the box office opened. There were four staff people who had a replacement of the cibacrome panel that's just to the left of the doors, that's like the "title page", with all the cast, creative and producers listed (I'm sure there's a proper name for this, but I can't think of it right now). Nobody could figure out why it was being replaced - they read each and every name out loud and compared it to the one that was currently in the light box. We read over it three or four times and couldn't find a mistake or misspelling or anything different. They were identical. In the end they just shrugged and replaced it. Never did find out why it was necessary.

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

FloydJoe2 Profile Photo
FloydJoe2
#3Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 11:53am

From what I heard, Natasha Katz was let go of the production.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#4Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 11:57am

According to the official Something Rotten! website, it's Jeff Croiter. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#5Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 12:27pm

It's possible she just didn't have time to do it.  She's designed Skylight, Gigi, and An American in Paris in a short amount of time.  Granted she has associates and assistants on each show doing much of the work though.

FloydJoe2 Profile Photo
FloydJoe2
#6Who is the lighting designer of SOMETHING ROTTEN!?
Posted: 4/5/15 at 12:28pm

Tag, I think that was one of the things that happened at SOMETHING ROTTEN.  She didn't show up to tech, and left her associate alone without telling the producers.