neonlightsxo
#25I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:03pm

Tell that to Peter and the Starcatcher.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:05pm

I do think Finding Neverland will be critic-proof... to an extent. It's just a question of how much of one. 

Remember, The Addams Family managed to run well over a year in that theatre- despite critical thrashing and absolutely no awards- just based on brand and actor recognition. It didn't recoup, but 722 performances is nothing to sneeze at. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/10/15 at 12:05 PM

MNC77
#27I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:18pm

It seems like people are letting their dislike for Phillypinto cloud their judgement. Thought I don't agree with Philly on most things, or the way he presents his arguments typically, I found this post helpful and fairly accurate. At least as accurate as one can expect from projecting 5 months in advance.

neonlightsxo
#28I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:48pm

I wasn't disagreeing with the idea that Neverland will be successful. I took issue with the fact that he said there was a "formula."

broadwaysfguy
#29I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/10/15 at 1:51pm

Thanks for the great post phillypinto

would love to have more of your teenage rapid enthusiasm, conviction and passion for everything you say and do in how i live my days.

Brain science has shown the pre-frontal cortex responsible for higher level thinking doesnt fully form until you are about 25, so Phillypinto you have that to look forward to and a bit of higher level thinking "hallpass" on some of your more controversial thinking and ideas  until you get there....

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#30I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/10/15 at 2:21pm

peter and the starcatchers should have stayed off broadway

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Phillypinto
#31I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/11/15 at 3:07pm

I wonder if The Chalk Garden is still happening.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#32I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/11/15 at 3:29pm

I find it funny Philly says there is a formula for making a successful show when last week he/she was laughing at me for saying you can sometimes spot patterns over time to get a feeling on what shows will and won't be successful, he also stated theatre was too 'unpredictable'.  Yet now there is set formula

If only more producers had stumbled on this formula, they'd be far fewer flops!

I also agree that The King and I and Finding Neverland can't be classed as long runners, just because they are selling well now doesn't mean they will be in 2 years time.  Plenty of shows start strong but fade over the course of a year. Personally I suspect Finding Neverland may follow a similar line to Addams Family.

Phillypinto
#33I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/11/15 at 3:53pm

sometimes you can predict right and sometimes you can predict wrong

Sunny11
#34I am an attention seeker will post anything
Posted: 4/11/15 at 3:56pm

The Adams Family did have a U.S. tour and 6 further international ones though so I am sure that overall the show is in the black. 

jbm2
#35Fall 2015
Posted: 4/12/15 at 2:34am

is First Wives Club still happening?

Phillypinto
#36Fall 2015
Posted: 4/12/15 at 2:55am

MNC77 and broadwaysfguy, thank you so much!! I actually just read your posts now for some reason!! :)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37Fall 2015
Posted: 4/12/15 at 3:02am

JBM2 is First Wives Club still happening?

---

WHY!? It bombed and I doubt it...why would any producer put $ into that show as it was DOA in Chicago.

Per my industry friends, not happening!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto
#38Fall 2015
Posted: 4/17/15 at 2:11pm

GUESS WHATS COMING TO BROADWAY!!?

jimmycurry01
#39Fall 2015
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:40pm

Is there really still talk of Fist Wives Club? It has had a pretty terrible run in Chicago. We have seen producers make mistakes like that in the past, so I guess it is possible. It seems like a bad idea though.

Carousel is absolutely not coming in the fall. It still has to play in Houston next spring. If it does come to Broadway (and that is a huge IF) it won't be until the fall of 2016 at the earliest. The reviews don't seem strong enough for that to actually happen though. The reviews are warm, but not glowing.

smidge
#40Fall 2015
Posted: 4/17/15 at 9:01pm

I think Fist Wives Club may be a little extreme for Broadway

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#41Fall 2015
Posted: 4/17/15 at 10:43pm

Many of you know my opinion of First Wives Club, and while I would love for it to transfer, I doubt it will.

I'm still trying to figure out why it didn't sell well in Chicago. Honestly, I think the winter weather had a lot to do with it. Road and weather conditions weren't good for most of it's run. I know most of the reviews were pans, but I found it very enjoyable and thought Prince, Cusack, and Sherril were phenomenal. I also think it's funny that when the First Wives 1.0 opened in San Diego, it was selling so well that they extended it despite worse reviews. For First Wives 2.0 in Chicago, most days the theater was under 50% capacity.  I think the title has a respectable amount of name recognition and could be a great crowd pleaser. I was chatting with the Merch lady and she said that the audiences that were seeing it were loving it. Not to mention that the creative team were really working to make it better. I know It Shoulda Been You just opened and how it will do has yet to be seen, but I feel like First Wives is that kind of show (fun and fluffy with a score that could be better). 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#42Fall 2015
Posted: 4/18/15 at 12:05am

MISERY probably the Golden

FIDDLER probably the Imperial

WAITRESS maybe the Broadhurst?

EVER AFTER all depends on the reviews maybe the Brooks Atkinson?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/18/15 at 12:05 AM

Phillypinto
#43Fall 2015
Posted: 4/18/15 at 12:27am

I hope the Chalk Garden comes in. I don't see Les Mis closing. Why would it? I see Hedwig closing, and Fiddler going in there. Carousel needs to come in! What happened to King Kong? Also, isn't Nerds coming in? and the Honeymooners? ooo I'm so excited!

Phillypinto
#44Fall 2015
Posted: 4/20/15 at 8:02pm

We need to watch out for Tuck Everlasting and Waterfall :)

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#45Fall 2015
Posted: 4/20/15 at 8:05pm

Anyone hear anything about Tuck? Would love for it to come in, one of my favorite novels growing up.

Phillypinto
#46Fall 2015
Posted: 4/21/15 at 10:57am

and Little Dancer

Macaw
#47Fall 2015
Posted: 4/21/15 at 5:34pm

Does anyone know what happened to  The Heart of Robin Hood, with Euan Morton and Gabe Ebert? I thought it was slotted for The Marquis after it's run in Toronto. I read that the Broadway engagement was delayed, but haven't heard anything since.

Phillypinto
#48Fall 2015
Posted: 4/21/15 at 5:42pm

Idk but it looked pretty good. I want to see it

We also have to watch out for Dear Evan Hansen

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#49Fall 2015
Posted: 4/21/15 at 9:32pm

Does anyone know if there are any plays ready and willing to take a theatre for a limited engagement for the summer if the Heidi Chronicles and/or Living On Love close in early May, as is rumored? Both theatres are reserved later in the year but what will happen all summer if either of these shows closes??