Stephen Schwartz

broadwaysfguy
#25Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 11:07am

Tony is about the only group on the planet that HASNT recognized Schwartz's talents...you may or may not like him and his work(subjective), but its almost silly to question his talent as  a songwriter...(as recognized by other experts and organizations below)

3 Oscars: Pocahontas (lyrics by Schwartz) for Best Score and Best Song “Colors of the Wind”; The Prince of Egypt: Best Song “When You Believe”

4 Grammys: Godspell (2 – producer and composer), Pocahontas “Colors of the Wind”, Wicked (producer and songwriter for Best Musical Show Album)

4 Drama Desk Awards: Godspell (Most Promising Composer and Most Promising Lyricist); Working – Director; Wicked – Outstanding Lyrics.

Golden Globe AwardPocahontas “Colors of the Wind” (2005)

2 Broadcast Film Critics Awards: Pocahontas “Colors of the Wind” (1995); The Prince of Egypt “When You Believe” (199Stephen Schwartz

Songwriters Hall of Fame (2009)

Broadway Hall of Fame (2009)

Only songwriter in broadway history to have three shows that ran 1900+ performances, Wicked soon to be in top ten all time longest running shows

uh, the guy is doing someting right......

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#26Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 11:31am

I feel like a lot of his shows, while I enjoy them, are more these days about what a director can do with them as opposed to the actual substance.

For example, darquegk once showed me a low-budget production concept for Wicked that would, at maximum, cost fifty dollars to stage at a community theater level. I'm not a big fan of the original material, spectacle or no spectacle, but somehow the anti-spendthrift approach and tiny cast size really gave it more impact. (If you think Wicked can't be pulled off without the flash and trash, you haven't read about that concept, I'm telling you.)

(Not the example you thought I'd share, eh, Namo?)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#27Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 11:41am

As the OPer, I'm pro-Schwartz, I was just curious of what everyone thought him getting his first Tony.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 12:18pm

I think it is very obvious which songs Schwartz favors in any given score.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

mattporter17
#29Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:21pm

To be honest, when Wicked closes (which won't be for at least 10 more years), I'm pretty frightened for them to start licensing it to schools and community theaters.  The end of act one would look treacherous at the community theater level... 

MOUSTACHA Profile Photo
MOUSTACHA
#30Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:28pm

Stephen has been laughing all the way to the bank about his lack of Tony wins.  He clearly deserves one, and he's far from finished. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#31Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:36pm

Anyone who wrote a song entitled, "Solid Silver Platform Shoes" is a-ok in my book! Stephen Schwartz

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#32Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:36pm

Unless it's the 'fifty dollar Wicked,' mattporter17. I'm tellin' ya, this thing sizzles.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

mattporter17
#33Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 3:44pm

"Unless it's the 'fifty dollar Wicked,' mattporter17. I'm tellin' ya, this thing sizzles."

What are you saying?

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#34Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 4:39pm

Read my other post in this thread, then read yours about Wicked at the community theater level, then read mine. Then find out what I'm saying.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#35Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 5:42pm

My favorite Schwartz show is "The Baker's Wife".  

Love the music from Godspell and Pippin, but the shows (not his fault) aren't my cup of tea.  That may change in 2 weeks when I see the national tour of Pippin.  I have only seen David Sheehan's VHS movie and a college production.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 5:51pm

Believe his best theater score is for The Baker's Wife

Poster Emeritus

sephyr
#37Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:18pm

I am so shocked that he hasn't won one. Seems like a travesty. He is one amazing composer and lyricist and I like everything I've heard by him (sans Personals). Godspell, Pippin, and Wicked have some of my favorite tunes by him. He has a gift of writing effortless songs that touch multiple generations. I can't wait to hear new music from him.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:43pm

I think Stephen has a lot of hope for actually winning a tony with hunchback which should be transferring to Broadway, but is now halted. And Prince of Egypt where I assume that they'd want him to write the music since he did the same for the movie.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#39Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/2/15 at 12:11am

I would say Prince of Egypt is probably his best score, though it's a film and only a few songs they are so knockout. Gorgeous and tell the story amazingly.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#40Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/2/15 at 8:00am

I didn't mean to seem anti-WICKED. I like the OBCR very much and think "Loathing" is a brilliant and surprising way to conceptualize that emotion and moment.

But though I've played the recording dozens and dozens of times, it has never inspired me to actually attend the show.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#41Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/2/15 at 9:02am

I think with just a tiny re-write and trim, The Baker's Wife could be hugely popular.  The London production was lovely and heart-breaking.  Partly though, it needs spot-on casting of an older man and younger woman who you root for to stay together- not the easiest of relationships to get right on stage.

Where is the Warmth and If I Have to Live Alone are beautiful character songs.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#42Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/2/15 at 2:59pm

Apparently Schwartz now favors the version that played the Papermill in 2005; it is now licensed by MTI. After much work, apparently he considers it finished. There have been many changes since the London version -- maybe it's worth giving it a look?

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#43Stephen Schwartz
Posted: 6/3/15 at 1:02am

Why do some think it's such a shock (or almost a travesty) that he's never won a Tony? Look at the shows he lost to. Even if you would've picked Pippin over A Little Night Music; Godspell over Annie; The Magic Show over the nominees The Wiz/Shenandoah/Letter for Queen Victoria/The Lieutenant or the also non-nominated Mack & Mabel; Working over On the Twentieth Century; Rags over Les Miserables; or Wicked over Avenue Q (or Taboo and Caroline, or Change, which I thought were the two best scores that season), you can't say the other shows were ridiculous choices. He was just a victim of strong competition.

Updated On: 6/3/15 at 01:02 AM