pixeltracker

Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?- Page 2

Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#25Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 12:48am

There is no better cause.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#26Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 12:55am

The revival of Les Mis was,  and what not. "

I think so too Sillyphilly--the best part of Les Mis were the 'what nots'.

That looks too much like syphilis but at least that is curable [in time].

Updated On: 6/12/15 at 12:55 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#27Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 1:29am

Sheridan Smith would be an inspired choice for Fanny. She may be gorgeous, but she's also incredibly unique looking. She could easily stand next to "traditionally" attractive girls and be looked at as unorthodox like Fanny would.

Most importantly, she has a totally singular comedic persona, which is the critical component required of the show. From Audrey in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS to Elle in LEGALLY BLONDE, she's made a career in London of taking identifiable characters and completely reinventing them. It makes total sense that they'll either do it with her or not do it at all. That was the problem with the last attempt at a revival- FUNNY GIRL isn't the kind of show you decide to produce before casting it. It's a show you wait for the right person for.

Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/12/15 at 01:29 AM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#28Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 2:59am

Confused at this but equally excited. I think Sheridan could be an amazing choice...for London. Funny Girl is my favorite musical, and yeah, it does need help with the book, but if this goes through it could mean bringing Funny Girl back on Broadway. Obviously not a transfer, but as soon as Ryan Murphy looses the rights, somebody will pick it up. I would love to see Annaleigh Ashford play Fanny on Broadway. I mean, she's HILARIOUS, she can nail the score with the unshaken confidence for love that Fanny needs, and she can easily be made into a not so pretty girl. Also, have you seen these promo pictures from "Masters of Sex" in which she's totally rocking the signature Funny Girl look? Jessie Mueller would also be an amazing choice, of course. But I think Annaleigh has the punch it needs as well as the comedy. I feel Jessie would make more of a safe Barbra choice. Of course, I'm biased on Annaleigh, but the way she played Maureen in RENT shows she can take an iconic role and make it new.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."
Updated On: 6/12/15 at 02:59 AM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#29Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 3:15am

Menier Chocolate has always done wonderful productions and three of its musical had well received Broadway tranfers (La Cage, Sunday in the Park with George, A Little Night Music) and the Menier production of The Color Purple is coming to Broadway as well. In addition to this, other shows like Merrily We Roll Along, Forbidden Broadway and Little Shop of Horrors were done with raves at the West End. Therefore, the fact that it's going to be done at Menier doesn't mean it won't have a life afterward even on Broadway.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#30Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 7:49am

Why not Anna Kendrick as Fanny?  (I'm sure I'll get a million and a half reasons, but I just can't resist.... I think she could be terrific, and she is certainly a star).

Perhaps people don't think she can pull off the comedy.

Updated On: 6/12/15 at 07:49 AM

Wallace4
#31Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 7:59am

Micheal Mayer is my favorite director 

imeldasturn
#32Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 8:33am

Can Anna do it 8 times a week?

imeldasturn
#33Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 8:33am

Can Anna do it 8 times a week?

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#34Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:15am

Woah! How come no one has mentioned Annaleigh before? She would actually probably be perfect for the part. Everyone talks about how Jessie should play the part and while Jessie does have a unique voice and is a very good actress, I don't know if she has the comedic skills to pull off the role.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Wallace4
#35Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:16am

I really wish people did a google search. If they did this they would find out that Anna was in a musical on Broadway called High Society for which she got a tony nomination.

imeldasturn
#36Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:18am

I'm aware of this, but she was 12 years old and she didn't have to sing a role as demanding as Fanny.

Wallace4
#37Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:19am

"we don't really get reduced british musicals anyway "

This one of the silliest thing I have ever heard

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#38Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:21am

I really wish people did a google search. If they did this they would find out that Anna was in a musical on Broadway called High Society for which she got a tony nomination.

Imelda asked a very valid question. Fanny Brice is one of the toughest roles in musical theatre. She has a crap load to sing and not many actresses could sing the role 8 times a week. Hell even Barbra reduced the score on matinees. It's a bitch to sing. I don't know if Anna could do it 8 times a week (probably not) but then again, not many could.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...
Updated On: 6/12/15 at 09:21 AM

Wallace4
#39Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:21am

"I'm aware of this, but she was 12 years old and she didn't have to sing a role as demanding as Fanny."

Fair Enough my bad I am sorry that I thought your were Philly

Wallace4
#40Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:22am

"Sheridan Smith in Talks to Lead FUNNY GIRL at Menier Chocolate Factory
Directed by Michael Mayer? WTF? This seems so random to me. No word yet on the final decision, but it seems if Smith is out, the musical will go back in storage for the time being."

How is this random enlighten me 

imeldasturn
#41Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:27am

""I'm aware of this, but she was 12 years old and she didn't have to sing a role as demanding as Fanny."

Fair Enough my bad I am sorry that I thought your were Philly
 "

hahah, if you tought I was Philly you're totally forgiven!

Gothampc
#42Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 9:41am

"Can Anna do it 8 times a week?"

She doesn't have to do it 8 times a week.  She can only do 6 shows a week.  Ramin Karimloo didn't do Les Miz 8 times a week, Patti LuPone didn't do Evita 8 times a week.  Even Barbra reduced the singing when she did the role.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Claudia Draper
#43Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:01am

I say a hologram of BARBRA..

henrikegerman
#44Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:19am

Whenever someone suggests that maybe Jessie can't be funny, I assume they didn't see Drood.

(and not on point on the Funny Girl discussion, whenever someone suggests that maybe Kelli can't be funny,  I assume they didn't see Nice Work.)

rjm516
#45Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:21am

Interesting. Smart to try it out first at the Menier. But whereas some shows work there pared down (like Assassins) and intimate, I feel like this show might be weird that way, not to mention with a tiny orchestra. She doesn't look Jewish at all but you can get away with that here in London. (Not in New York, where there are actually Jews.) 

Annaleigh is an amazing choice for a Broadway revival. Maybe her Tony will help make that a reality. 

henrikegerman
#46Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:23am

Didn't Anna (as Dinah) only have one song in High Society, "I Love Paris," not exactly rangy.

And speaking of High Society, I just learned that there was a 1987 production in London directed by Richard Eyre starring Natasha Richardson as Tracy..... wow...... anyone know what that was like?

With Stephen Rea as Mike!  (come to think of it Rea could be a marvelous Doolittle in the upcoming revival... though he may be tall for the part)

Now You Has Jazz

Updated On: 6/12/15 at 10:23 AM

BWAY Baby2
#47Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:40am

Maybe it would be perfect for a limited run at Roundabout- that way, whoever gets the lead will only have to ding it for a few months- the score is awesome- the story paint by numbers- but it has some great comedy bits- the bride number, You are Woman, Private Schwartz- and some great ballads- could be a hit with the right casting- I guess slipping into Barbra's shoes is pretty much impossible. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#48Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:41am

I am so sick of reduced musicals.

It's the Menier.  Pretty much all their musicals have to be reduced, like the majority of regional theatres in the US.  If it works, I don't have a problem with it.  And personally, I much preferred the recent La Cage revival to the previous productions.  To me, it made so much more sense.  Company and Sweeney, on the other hand, I wasn't very conceptually keen on.

As for this, if it gets produced, I'm going.  Sheridan Smith is worth it.  Her performance in Legally Blonde is one of my all-time favorite performances in a musical ever.  She's a bonafide star.  Unsurprisingly, the article completely forgot about her first Olivier win and only mentions her second.

She doesn't look Jewish at all but you can get away with that here in London. (Not in New York, where there are actually Jews.) 

The point is to resemble Fanny Brice.  It wouldn't take much more than a dark wig and a little makeup shading to get Sheridan most of the way there.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

henrikegerman
#49Why is London getting Funny Girl and we aren't?
Posted: 6/12/15 at 10:47am

"Interesting. Smart to try it out first at the Menier. But whereas some shows work there pared down (like Assassins) and intimate, I feel like this show might be weird that way, not to mention with a tiny orchestra. She doesn't look Jewish at all but you can get away with that here in London. (Not in New York, where there are actually Jews.) 

Annaleigh is an amazing choice for a Broadway revival. Maybe her Tony will help make that a reality."

I agree Annaleigh is a very intriguing choice for Fanny.  Anywhere.

But in what world does she look more Jewish (even leaving aside what "looking Jewish" means for the sake of the argument) than Sheridan Smith?  

Perhaps more to the point, in what world does she look more like Fanny Brice?