pixeltracker

Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center- Page 4

Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#75Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:12pm

I think it was 2 hours. It started a little late and I think it was 8:40 when it ended. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

smidge
BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#77Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 1:55pm

What do you think the odds are that this could materialize into a production and transfer to Bway in the 2016-2017 season? So wish I can see her in this role one day.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#78Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 10:33pm

Megan Hilty was sublime in this role. The score was a perfect fit for her voice and the character was a perfect match. I wish I went both nights just to hear her sing. 

The concert was wonderful, the cast was ideal. But HIlty, damn. The girl's been a constant force for the last decade, and there's no stopping her!

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#79Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:14pm

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#80Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:21pm

Omg looks like I got so excited to talk about ANDY KARL that I posted too soon. So sorry...

Let's start with the obvious: ANDY KARL is a TALENT!! He was probably at his peak level, vocally, tonight. Just when I thought he couldn't get any better ... WOW. And what a fighter.... I thought back to his Drama League chat last season and I just respect and admire him so much. I LOVE ANDY KARL!!

As for the rest of the show... MEGAN HILTY can belt like no one else but I thought she was a bit too hammy. Bernadette was way better (yes, Skimby was old enough to see her production on Broadway...) Megan's accent was annoying and her bits for laughs were straight out of KRISTIN CHENOWETH 101... But the audience ate her up so guess I'm in the minority there...

Does this have a shot at a Broadway transfer?? Would love to go back just to see ANDY KARL one more time... And it's a great show... Such great music and songs!!

I love ANNIE GET YOUR GUN!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#81Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:30pm

Found the show to be pretty dated (especially the ending!!!!) but it was still a fun, enjoyable evening out. Megan Hilty is so talented, God bless her, I hope she comes back to Broadway in a musical soon and I can't wait to see her in Noises Off.

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#82Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/29/15 at 12:07am

Megan and Karl were adorable together. They both infused their characters with a lovely sense of humor. I think they should do a version together for television in the December slot. The show is less ambitious than Peter Pan or The Sound of Music and I think a simplistic rendition could be a big hit given the score is so strong and the actors are talented, sexy and have a good chemistry.

neonlightsxo
#83Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/29/15 at 9:36am

I mean, I don't think anyone is saying Annie Get Your Gun is on par with Gypsy. It never has been.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#84Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/29/15 at 9:41am

Hilty and Karl have such wonderful chemistry together, and the score is delightful even if the show itself is the definition of fluff. Hilty's reprise of "There's No Business Like Showbusiness" brought the house down.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#85Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/29/15 at 9:48am

I'm a big Megan Hilty Fan. I'm a big Andy Karl Fan. Loved Megan in Wicked and predicted a great career for her which is proving true. Loved her in 9 to 5 and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I thought Andy Karl was a great Rocky and was terrific in On the 20th Century. I was very eager to see them in Annie Get your Gun. I am also a lover of old musical comedies.

This is a clunky dated and contrived show. Maybe I've seen the movie too many times.  While Hilty and Karl and the entire cast sang well, Rob Berman and orchestra as always were superb. 

I couldn't wait for this show to be over. The cast had an air about of " we are doing an old musical comedy which is clunky and dated  and look at us look at us. trying to put it over." It's as if they were saying we are acting up here. I do not mean this in a good way.

" I never once believed the characters on  stage. With the 18,000 verses of "Doing what comes Naturally" (not to mention an unneeded encore) I realized what an annoying song it is.

I thought the usually wonderful  Hilty was kind of one note in this.  A litte too cute in the role. I'm sorry to say to me it was a huge disappointment.

Updated On: 10/29/15 at 09:48 AM

yfs
#86Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/29/15 at 4:26pm

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, but I'm glad you were in a distinct minority. I've seen all the important Broadway Annie's I think -- Merman, Peters, Reba, and now Megan Hilty, and I have to say this one was the best for me. Merman may very well have been the best in 1946 -- but I saw her in 1966. Reba was spectacularly good, but the adaptation and everything around her was pretty awful. This version cut things to the bone book-wise, and I think the score was delivered spectacularly well. And the audience pretty much went mad. Saying it's a clunky, dated and contrived show is like saying that the body of water known as the Atlantic is an ocean.Of course it is! I guess some people have more tolerance for them than others.  

broadwayguy2
#87Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/29/15 at 5:50pm

Perhaps I am in the distinct minority, but I actually enjoy the 1999 revision and think the framing device served the show well. Quality of production? That's another debate.

Hilty had five days to get this role on her feet and that considered, she was sublime. With a Full production and rehearsal period, she would have a Tony on her shelf for certain. She was charming, funny, heartwarming, heartbreaking, sincere, stubborn, and all the rest... And she sang that score like a dream. She put her stamp firmly on it, as it should be in a star vehicle. 

Karl gave one of the strongest performances that I have ever seen from him, but I am still not a Karl fan overall.

Kaye and Oscar were a hoot.

The orchestrations sounded glorious courtesy of Berman and company. You can't top the encores orchestra.

The night was an absolute treat and only solidifies the fact that Hilty really and truly is a Broadway star. In every way.

SmoothLover
#88Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/30/15 at 2:47am

After seeing the show I was very sorry I did not see Karl in On The 20th Century for he quite obviously has a talent for farce. His sense of humor makes him even more sexy. He must be a fun guy to hang out with.

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#89Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/30/15 at 8:48am

It would be wonderful if this could be recorded. And although I suspect it's a lost cause, it would also be great if they could include "I'm An Indian Too." I was listening to the Merman cast recording, and I really don't think it's THAT offensive. Yes, she lists a bunch of Indian names that are in poor taste: "Rising Moon, Falling Pants, Running Nose." But you could argue that she's an ignorant country girl who doesn't know any better. And it's such a fun melody.

Updated On: 10/30/15 at 08:48 AM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#90Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/30/15 at 9:31am

So great to see raves for Megan Hilty. I expected that, TBH. This seems like this role is right down her ally. Really hope the transfers to Broadway

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#91Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/30/15 at 2:33pm

I wonder if a production would ever consider using the "I'm An Indian Too" melody in some kind of dance number.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

broadwayguy2
#92Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/30/15 at 5:09pm

Funny enough, the overture was greeted with applause, as per usual, which then louder applause when the strains of "There's No Business". Loudest applause during the overture though? "I Am An Indian Too"

Showface
#93Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/30/15 at 8:10pm

Anyone else disappointed with the lack of released footage of the production? Usually City Center releases more footage than they have with this, right? All we have really is a 46 second montage with the guys singing "There's No Business Like Show Business" and a quick snippet of "Anything You Can Do". 

I hope they air the footage they did take on PBS or something! 

SmoothLover
#94Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 10/31/15 at 12:23am

City Center should give it a week slot in the Spring if the actor's are available. I am sure it would sell very well.

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#95Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 11/1/15 at 9:52pm

Speaking of the overture, does anyone know why the orchestra was not seated on risers for AGYG? I could've sworn that at all previous Encores! shows I've been to, the orchestra has been elevated. 

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

broadwayguy2
#96Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 11/2/15 at 12:56am

Well, it was not an Encores! Production. It was a benefit for a City Center, and as such had a significantly smaller budget and rehearsal time. 

As far as the orchestra being raised during Encores! Productions, it has certainly varied some.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#97Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 11/2/15 at 6:43pm

I was in the balcony on Wednesday. Given the amount of rehearsal time, they put together something spectacular. I've never seen a full production of the show, but I "got" what the story was about from the songs and dialogue they included. And I always love what they do with the scripts at City Center. The actors play with them awesomely.

"Anything You Can Do" was my favorite number, and every single principal actor received entrance applause. It was a really fun evening.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#98Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 11/3/15 at 1:51pm

I guess the reason it wasn't reviewed is because it was a gala. I went on the first night and didn't see them handing out any press tickets. It would have been nice for Megan and Andy to get the great reviews they deserved.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#99Megan Hilty Will Star in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN Gala Concert at City Center
Posted: 11/4/15 at 6:48pm

StagestruckLad, I reviewed it on my blog but who knows how many people will actually read it. Lol. But, for anyone who's interested, here you go.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com