Show Help

Bradley Jones
#1Show Help
Posted: 6/23/15 at 7:10pm

I am coming to NYC for my birthday in August and have already booked to see Aladdin. I would like to at least see another musical and want it to be something amazing. I really don't know what to watch, I am from the U.K and have watched a lot of the bigger shows like Wicked, BOM, Les Mis, Jersey Boys etc.

I'd like to watch something new or just something amazing. I was looking at Hamilton but I have no clue what it's about, and I have also looked at Kinky Boots, Fun Home (But I also don't get this really either), On The 20th Century, an American in Paris and Finding Neverland, I just can't decide! Please help!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Show Help
Posted: 6/23/15 at 7:15pm

Something Rotten is fun

I have not seen Hamilton but everyone is saying it is the best thing since sliced bread. Google Alexander Hamilton & you will see what it is about. Les Miz & Jersey Boys are fun.Kinky is also good but 20 th Century will have closed by the time you are here.

Of those I have seen, I would say Rotten but others will differ with their opinion.

Poster Emeritus

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#2Show Help
Posted: 6/23/15 at 7:16pm

Well, Hamilton is the next "big" show that will be talked about for a while and (it will most likely sweep the Tonys next year) it certainly has that grandeur factor that you're looking for. Maybe read a little bit about the show on any ticket-buying website so you can get a good idea. Fun Home is exactly described as "epic" (though I think it is) but it is a super important piece of American musical theater that recently took home 5 Tony awards, including best musical. In my opinion you really can't go wrong with either shows. 

ebontoyan
#3Show Help
Posted: 6/23/15 at 7:23pm

Something Rotten!   It's a very fun and hilarious show

purplehibiscus Profile Photo
purplehibiscus
#4Show Help
Posted: 6/23/15 at 7:26pm

The King and I all the way! It's humorous, meaningful, has a great cast and amazing set, and is just a gorgeous production overall!

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#5Show Help
Posted: 6/23/15 at 7:27pm

"Les Miz & Jersey Boys are fun."

Fun is not the first word I'd use to describe Les Miz lol More like iconic.

Bradley Jones
#6Show Help
Posted: 6/24/15 at 6:49am

"Well, Hamilton is the next "big" show that will be talked about for a while and (it will most likely sweep the Tonys next year) it certainly has that grandeur factor that you're looking for. Maybe read a little bit about the show on any ticket-buying website so you can get a good idea. Fun Home is exactly described as "epic" (though I think it is) but it is a super important piece of American musical theater that recently took home 5 Tony awards, including best musical. In my opinion you really can't go wrong with either shows. "

Will definitely look into the two. 

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#7Show Help
Posted: 6/24/15 at 11:26am

I would definitely recommend both Kinky Boots and Fun Home. However since the UK will soon be getting Kinky Boots, you may want to see other shows that you can only see on Broadway (for now at least).

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#8Show Help
Posted: 6/24/15 at 11:29am

If you're coming to NYC in August, if I'm not mistaken, On the Twentieth Century will be closed by then as it closes 7/19.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#9Show Help
Posted: 6/24/15 at 11:36am

Hamilton (if you can get a ticket which you can't), Fun Home (not a big spectacle, but so moving), or American in Paris. Kinky Boots is coming to London, and actually so is King and I.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Emma MK
#10Show Help
Posted: 6/24/15 at 2:02pm

I recommend Something Rotten or Finding Neverland. On my last trip i saw 10 shows and those 2 were my favourites!

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#11Show Help
Posted: 6/24/15 at 3:56pm

One big point for seeing Fun Home is that you would get to see all of the original cast. Also, the staging in the round is very unique and likely won't be replicated if it were to ever transfer to the UK.  I highly recommend Fun Home. 

Videos