pixeltracker

David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU- Page 2

David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU

asmith0307
#25David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/3/15 at 10:24am

"What does "PD" stand for? https://www.facebook.com/shouldabeenyou/photos/pcb.410717832462728/410717015796143/?type=1&theater "

Personal Day, which can be sick leave, vacation, or an unpaid day off. 

Updated On: 7/3/15 at 10:24 AM

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#26David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/7/15 at 9:56pm

According to playbill vault, Aaron C. Finely has taken over the role from David and Matthew Hydzik has been brought in as a new standby. 

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#27David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/7/15 at 10:21pm

So that means that David's officially left the show? The ISBY facebook said his return is TBD... There's not a lot of time for the show left too...

Updated On: 7/7/15 at 10:21 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/7/15 at 10:33pm

Interesting. Does this mean Hydzik has already gone on as Greg? It's blurry... https://instagram.com/p/4w-LCFFmf7/ 

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#29David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/7/15 at 11:35pm

Hydzik went on for Greg on Sunday. 

Updated On: 7/7/15 at 11:35 PM

LizzieCurry
#30David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/7/15 at 11:50pm

Wow! Has Nick been on as Brian yet?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#31David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 7:59am

This sounds a bit like a Charles Foster Kane/Susan Alexander situation - rich husband pushes moderately talented amateur spouse into a show, then lets spouse quit when the show's a flop (without the suicide attempt, of course).

Burtka is a very fortunate guy.

LarryD2
#32David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 8:55am

I'm not saying that the luxe life Burtka enjoys isn't a factor here, but I'd hardly call him a "moderately talented amateur." 

KathyNYC2
#33David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 9:07am

Burtka was on Broadway and working before he even met NPH. And yes he took time off to raise a family and follow his now spouse to CA... I don't think we need to call him an amateur. Nor do I think this needs to be a case of NPH pushing his weight around.

There are a lot of "moderately talented actors" on Broadway and elsewhere who do quite well on their own.. to single him out as being an amateur or puppet just doesn't sit well with me either.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#34David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 9:09am

Really? What performing work of his would you say is A list? All I remember him as is a merely-OK Tulsa, and a cute nude boy who was wiped off the stage by Marian Seldes and Brian Murray in The Play About the Baby (both 11-15 years ago). I gather he also had a bit in some episodes of his husband's TV show, too.

Is there something particularly compelling and impressive to his resume that you would add? If not, I think I'd stick with "moderately talented" (and that was what his performance in Shoulda resembled). I use "amateur" in the sense of ability here, not "paid vs. volunteer." Not entirely accurate in definition, I admit, but the feel is right.

Mind you, I have no beef against the guy's husband getting him jobs from time to time. It's rather sweet, actually. But there's no reason to pretend that he's getting these jobs based on any particular star quality or exceptional ability of his own. We can acknowledge that he's the lucky husband of a somewhat powerful man.

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 09:09 AM

LarryD2
#35David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 9:21am

Since when does being "on the A list" directly correspond with talent level? It's a false equivalence.

Mind you, I have no beef against the guy's husband getting him jobs from time to time. It's rather sweet, actually. But there's no reason to pretend that he's getting these jobs based on any particular star quality or exceptional ability of his own. We can acknowledge that he's the lucky husband of a somewhat powerful man.

So, did NPH slip DHP a fin and say, "give my man a part"? 

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 09:21 AM

neonlightsxo
#36David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 9:22am

Is he injured or something? Or did he just actually leave?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#37David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 9:32am

"Since when does being "on the A list" directly correspond with talent level? It's a false equivalence."

I didn't write "on" the A list; I asked what work of his was A list, meaning "top-tier."

"So, did NPH slip DHP a fin and say, "give my man a part"?"

Maybe more like $100k? Maybe just a friend favor? But what do you think the odds are that Burtka would be in the role if he wasn't married to who he's married to?

LizzieCurry
#38David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 9:40am

"Is he injured or something? Or did he just actually leave? "

He did injure himself during the show, but I don't think he ever came back after that.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#39David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:34pm

wow wtf. I wonder if he's gonna come back. 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:38pm

Doubt Burtka ever coming back to the show. If a closing notice had not been posted their would have been a slim chance. Now their are 2 scenarios - slim & none.

Poster Emeritus

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#41David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:51pm

i think his bailing early is ridiculous and childish. and i think the fact that no news sources have picked this up means people are afraid of alienating NPH. this guy made a commitment. okay, maybe the show is not great, but he signed a contract and his name alone certainly has some kind of box office draw. this is his job. this is what he signed on for. 8 shows a week. you don't see tyne daly or sierra boggess, arguably way bigger names, pulling this crap. this makes him look like an entitled baby. and i've lost a lot of respect. he also took the job from countless other actors who would've done ANYTHING for this part, to be a leading male in a show, and he just shut it down. all i have to say to him is "WAH" poor you. i hope that the inside broadway folks are all aware of this and won't cast him in future shows.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:54pm

I think he pulled a Dean Jones/Jeremy Piven. He simply got tired of the show & bailed.

Poster Emeritus

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:37pm

He was terrible in the show. His acting was amateur at best. His singing was rough around the edges. The only thing non-serviceable was his dancing. Without being married to NPH, I don't think he'd be in this show at all. Or on Broadway still.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#44David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:43pm

It pays to have friends in high places.NPH is the one with talent in the family.

Poster Emeritus

Phillypinto
#45David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:43pm

I 100% completely agree cglaid and RippedMan. I guess he will just spend the rest of his life being NPH's little bitch takin care of the kids at home lol

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:48pm

Take an extra nasty pill today. Funny, you previously said I was nasty. I was diplomatic you were really cold and nasty.

Poster Emeritus

Phillypinto
#47David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:58pm

what are you talking about roxyyyyyyyy

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#48David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:15pm

It is always astonishing to me the alternate universe some people on here seem to be living in. I have not examined him, nor have I reviewed his medical records, but are the comments above really suggesting that David faked the injury to his hand, or that he should perform injured? Because those would seem the only rational explanations for the comments that have been made. 

Phillypinto
#49David Burtka - IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:22pm

ummm well he doesnt look injured on those instagram pics of him on vacation from a week ago. His part isn't even that big, I highly doubt he isn't well enough to be in the show. He probably said peace out!