pixeltracker

Next for the Lyric Theatre- Page 5

Next for the Lyric Theatre

BroadMagTech
#100Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/8/15 at 9:00pm

""Just one question that should not break any rules. Whatever project you are working on, will it be something to be excited about?"
 Yeah, one will be great, the other...a definitive record for posterity. Of course, both projects could fall through for lack of funding. Sigh."

Well if the shows themselves are iconic enough to run on Broadway, I am sure they will be funded.

Also, Since you are in this field, I would love to see Broadway shows broadcasted into theaters. What if a performance of a Broadway musical was broadcasted into IMAX theaters for one night. With their amazing theaters, it would truly create a immersive experience.

BroadMagTech
#101Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/8/15 at 9:01pm

"I think a show with projected images of Sinatra will die. The Xmas Carol would have sold out with the names involved. Three were to receive a percentage of the gross with a $2.2M weekly GP and all won Oscars for Best Actor/Actress. The fourth name is an iconic former sitcom star. Can't name them...gave my word. Plus, the Sinatra show might not happen. It is a rental....the Xmas Carol would be a joint venture."

True, let's not forget the Sinatra revue show from a few years ago, Come Fly Away. 

ivandixon2
#102Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/8/15 at 9:40pm

Gene Wilder did actually turn down playing Scrooge in this production of Xmas Carol.....as did Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman and Anthony Hopkins. FYI, the Sinatra show sold only 650 tickets at an average price of $50 in the 2,200 seat Palladium in London tonight. For a Saturday night show of a limited two-month run!!

BroadMagTech
#103Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/8/15 at 11:07pm

Insane! Well if they do bring Sinatra to the Lyric, it will be the second time this show has come to Broadway, the first time at Radio City in 2003. If these actors have turned the role of Scrooge down as you have said, I am wondering who else could take on the roll and why the producers are opting for Sinatra. What about Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Michael Cane, William Shatner, Tim Curry, Sean Connery.

ivandixon2
#104Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 12:27am

Sadly, Tim Curry is unable to perform due to a stroke he suffered several years ago. Sean Connery, like Gene Hackman, is firmly retired. The other names you mentioned don't have the wow factor needed to stand above the competition. Xmas Carol does have iconic names available if the theatre does not book the Sinatra production. The Lyric is expensive to operate. If they draw 650 on a Saturday night at a $50 average like they did tonight in London, they'll be a $200-250,000 weekly gross and huge losses. Perhaps they feel that the holiday crowd will fill the seats. But personally I feel they will want to see a live show not projected images with a high ticket price.

BroadMagTech
#105Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 12:56am

People who come to New York want to be wowed and if there is nothing for them to see that is special in any way, they will go see the classics or what ever is popular. The producers have to stop guessing and start looking at the numbers. I would love to see A Christmas Carol but for some reason that is not their first choice. This does not mean that A Christmas Carol has no hope. I still think that they are making their decision and in about a week we will hear the outcome.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#106Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 1:59am

So long as the Xmas Carol for Lyric is not from the people who put on the production discussed here:  Star Studded Xmas Carol?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#107Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 10:58am

ggersten,

Thank you for that. I think it is pretty clear that the "information" ivandixon has been teasing for a while now is related to the same producers and that, as I suspected, ivandixon was being fed a load of bull. 

ivandixon2
#108Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 11:17am

Hogans- I believe the set, props and costumes are the only common thread. I've seen pictures and they are quite elaborate and Broadway caliber. The Xmas Carol required the involvement of ATG and they would rather take a straight rental....the Sinatra show...then the more complicated Xmas Carol even with A-list stars.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#109Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 11:45am

The LA Producers tried again with a different star studded cast in 2009 in Minneapolis and other cities  and, oops.  Star Studded Xmas Carola Redux  (I think there's an old BWW thread about this... AH! Found it:  Star Studded Oops)

Updated On: 8/10/15 at 11:45 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#110Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 12:08pm

Ivan, as I said when you originally posted about this, it sounds like what you have been told is coming from the land of wishful thinking if not the land of inartful scamsters. And everything you have added has made that seem more the case.

BroadMagTech
#111Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 12:16pm

So how do we separate what is false from the truth?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#112Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 12:31pm

"So how do we separate what is false from the truth?"

we wait.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#113Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 2:58pm

we wait for the announcement of a christmas carol starring celebs

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

BroadMagTech
#114Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 3:29pm

True or not, let's hope that A Christmas Carol is their first pick.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#115Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 7:06pm

Move "Hamilton" over.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#116Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 7:33pm

"Move "Hamilton" over."

Seriously though!

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#117Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 8:51pm

No, move wicked or the lion king to the lyric. It needs something that will fit that airplane hanger. Or Disney should buy the lyric and open frozen there.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadMagTech
#118Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 9:18pm

Now that is a thought! I would love to see them transform the theater into a frozen wonderland! But I have always wanted the Minskoff to have better decor. What if Lion King went into the Lyric and Frozen went into the Minskoff and for the occasion, Disney decided to renovate the interior into a more ornate setting.

Updated On: 8/9/15 at 09:18 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#119Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/9/15 at 9:28pm

"No, move wicked or the lion king to the lyric. It needs something that will fit that airplane hanger. Or Disney should buy the lyric and open frozen there."

Moving those shows from one barn to another would accomplish nothing and, since ATG just bought the Lyric because to establish a beachhead in New York, it is preposterous to think it has any designs on selling and certainly not to Disney. Disney could put Frozen there, perhaps, but I have a feeling that's not what Sir Howard has in mind for the venue. 

trpguyy
#120Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/13/15 at 8:41am

There will be a new Cirque show moving in to the Lyric, it's a fact.

BroadMagTech
#121Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:36am

"There will be a new Cirque show moving in to the Lyric, it's a fact."

When should we hear details of this new show? 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#122Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/13/15 at 10:44am

Expect to hear some news in the next few weeks, if not by early next.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#123Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/13/15 at 11:47am

So no Christmas extravaganza?

ivandixon2
#124Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/13/15 at 2:03pm

Cirque du Soleil won't start until March. Either the Sinatra projection show or Xmas Carol will fill the holiday weeks.