pixeltracker

Help us spend our money? :)- Page 2

Help us spend our money? :)

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#25Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 7/29/15 at 10:44pm

Times Square is full of touristy restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood or chain restaurants.  They're okay, but you can certainly do better away price and quality wise. 9th Ave, which is only 2 blocks out of the theater district has some good places. If you just want a casual meal, I like the Westway Diner between 43rd & 44th on 9th. I forget what else there is. But, you can find all sorts of good food over there.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

rowdylibrarian
#26Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:16am

Having never experienced Restaurant Week, how are they about substitutions due to fatal allergies?  Help us spend our money?  :)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:43am

I would assume you'd have to talk to the specific restaurant. I'm siyei there is no blanket response.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rowdylibrarian
#28Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:55am

I was guessing so. *sigh*  Allergies stink. I just wasn't sure how strict they were about things because of being especially  busy during Restaurant Week. Will RW make it harder for us to walk in to a nicer restaurant versus having a reservation? 

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#29Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:27pm

One of my favorite restaurants in the theater district is Joe Allen. I believe you can only make reservations a week ahead of time. The food is good, the atmosphere is relaxed but less crazy than the more touristy places right in Times Square (it's across 8th Avenue at 46th St,https://www.joeallenrestaurant.com/ but still within easy walking distance of most theaters.) It's a big hangout for theater people (although mostly after the shows, not before) but they treat everybody nicely. And it's fun to look at the posters from flops they have around the walls Help us spend our money?  :)

One museum I love is the New-York Historical Society up on Central Park West & 77th St. They're having a great exhibit right now dedicated to Al Hirschfeld, who did those "Nina" drawings of so many theatrical productions for so many years - so the exhibit has a definite theater focus. There are also interesting exhibits about the history of NYC. Last time I was there they had a small exhibit of beautiful Tiffany lamps in the foyer, too (they're building a dedicated space for their entire collection, so these lamps are just a sample.)

Maggie-the-schnoodle

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#30Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:43pm

Any high end restaurant is used to working with people's specific dining requirements both in NYC and Chicago.  Like Chicago, you will need reservations for any fine restaurant since dining there will be an event.

The theater district is full of good restaurants for tourists and locals but since you had said you were a foodie I had listed the Michelin Starred dining rooms. The average lunch prices there can easily be around $100 so to experience all of it for a quarter of the price will be something your family will enjoy.

Perfectly nice meals can be had at Joe Allen's and Orso on w46th as well as Carmine's on w44 but they will be the same dining experience you will find in any city. As a rule, New Yorkers only go to Times Square and The Theater district when they have to.  Walk north toward Central Park and Lincoln Center to the better restaurants and get away from the tourist circus and unpleasantness of Times Square.

Lastly, to answer your question, Manhattan travel functions much better north to south no matter which side of town you are on. However, your hotel is smack in the middle so you have the best of all worlds!

rowdylibrarian
#31Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 7/31/15 at 10:42pm

We're going to be arriving in New York around 9:00 AM, so we might be gluttonous and see if we can scoot over to the TKTS booth in Times Square and score some tickets to a Saturday matinee!   

Crazy NooNooHead Profile Photo
Crazy NooNooHead
#32Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 8/1/15 at 12:10am

"Holy CATS!!!!  Those cookies from Schmackary's look FABULOUS!!!!!!!

"

That's because they are! My two favorites are the maple bacon and the cookie dough, but you really can't go wrong. It's on 45th St. and 9th Ave., so it's a good place to go before or after you see a show.

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

rowdylibrarian
#33Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 8/1/15 at 5:12pm

We made it to the TKTS book in time to get tickets to see the 2:00 show of "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder"! Then tonight we go see "Something Rotten!"!!!!!!!  We are going to be so spoiled!  I have to say, seeing how big the smile on my 19-year-old's face was at the end of the first show was well worth the $240.00!  :)

rsaleh
#34Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 8/1/15 at 5:49pm

Something Rotten will be so much fun!

and also if you still want to see another show please please please use my code FATIB on the TodayTix app if that is what you decide to use because it is a really really good deal and will save you a lot of money so you can see another show. 

I hope you have fun though no mater what you decide!

rowdylibrarian
#36Help us spend our money? :)
Posted: 8/2/15 at 10:04am

"Give it to MSF they do great work"

"MSF?" 

Videos