Allegiance Previews

BWNUT
#250Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/27/15 at 2:37pm

I, for  one, can tell if a standing O is routine or spontaneous and heartfelt. I can feel it in the energy in the room. A rolling SO (like the wave)  feels emotionally different than the audience instinctively rising to its feet as one.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#251Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/27/15 at 2:41pm

This is good:

http://www.americantheatre.org/2015/10/27/from-orientalism-to-authenticity-broadways-yellow-fever/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#252Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/27/15 at 3:09pm

Good article. Hard to believe Kuo is only the third?!?! Crazy.

#253Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/27/15 at 3:33pm

Updated On: 10/27/15 at 03:33 PM

mamaleh
#254Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/28/15 at 10:30am

I wish I liked ALLEGIANCE better than I did. It's an important story that needs to be told, but I found the writing to careen between polemic (OK, much of it deserved) and melodrama.  The performers are fine--it's so great to see Lea Salonga back on stage, Telly Leung was in fine voice and George Takei was very likable--but the score is unmemorable, a large negative in a musical.  Actually, this show needed to be either an opera, with lots of heightened emotion, or a straight play.  I think I would have liked it better as the latter.  I attended via an online lottery win, which put me in the mezzanine last night.

Updated On: 10/28/15 at 10:30 AM

Roscoe
#255Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/29/15 at 10:39am

An important and interesting story never took off into anything important or interesting at the performance I saw.  The book and score were pretty well by the numbers.  I'd like to see a good documentary on this subject, one that gave me the facts without the frankly cliched storyline.  

To be fair, there were some flickers of life in the performances.  I wish they'd found an interesting way to bring this to life.  An honorable effort all round, but well....

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

LizzieCurry
#256Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/29/15 at 10:45am

mamaleh said: "Actually, this show needed to be either an opera, with lots of heightened emotion, or a straight play.  I think I would have liked it better as the latter."

A really good point -- I hadn't thought of this.

Now I really want to see the results of those surveys!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#257Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/29/15 at 10:50am

I have to agree with Roscoe. The main reasons to see this, imo, are Salonga's "Higher" and George Takei's lovely performance.

Most upsetting is the important subject matter is not well served. Instead we get a somewhat soapy treatment that isn't even good enough for us to invest in the main characters, save for Takei.

I wanted to like it more. My hubby actually said he liked "Dr. Z" better! And we hated that stinker! I thought there was more offered with "Allegiance", but not much.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BWNUT
#258Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/29/15 at 7:10pm

If I remember right, the main criticism by the LA Times theater critic of the SD production was the same as many posters here - that the main subject matter, which could have been so potent and relevant, has been weakened and diffused by the melodramatic story line and unremarkable music. I guess the makers did not read that or paid no heed.

Pootie2
#259Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/29/15 at 7:36pm

BWNUT said: "If I remember right, the main criticism by the LA Times theater critic of the SD production was the same as many posters here - that the main subject matter, which could have been so potent and relevant, has been weakened and diffused by the melodramatic story line and unremarkable music. I guess the makers did not read that or paid no heed. "

The other possibility is that it's simply beyond the abilities of the director/writer/composer to do better (or different). There's always a bell curve somewhere. Now, I do know people who love a completely predictable sap story, nothing wrong with that. I suppose the feeling of disservice has to do with an historical event being diluted, as you and others say, by melodrama, but maybe that's the part that can make the history emotionally accessible to another viewer. If the audience in previews are reacting strongly enough, that's good.

But the show can't survive just on Japanese-Americans or history buffs or those who feel particularly strongly about this subject matter, unless they all buy full-price tickets multiple multiple times. Going by the assessments here, it seems the cast is the strongest point, so marketing to that star power can help. I hope there have been more substantive changes between the early previews and now, at least to improve things for people who didn't enjoy it very much the first time, but artistically I suppose the weaknesses must carry through to the final product. I'll cross my fingers for at least a year run, though.

(I can edit my posts now whoa!)

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin
Updated On: 10/29/15 at 07:36 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#260Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/29/15 at 11:20pm

"The other possibility is that it's simply beyond the abilities of the director/writer/composer to do better (or different)."

Sadly, bingo. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#261Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 5:18am

Pootie2 said: "(I can edit my posts now whoa!)"

That's been available for quite a while, no?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#262Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 5:43am

There have been a few posters that were unable to access the ed it mode for quite a while.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LizzieCurry
#263Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 10:43am

I'm not really surprised that in the first three paragraphs here, it sounds like the creative team can't agree on what they want the show to be. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/theater/george-takei-guides-allegiance-a-musical-not-a-starship.html?ref=theater&smid=tw-nyttheater&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Pootie2
#264Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 11:10am

dramamama611 said: "There have been a few posters that were unable to access the ed it mode for quite a while."

Yes, it was a great source of annoyance after the Great Forum Update, though I discovered I could edit directly through the script URL given the thread and message IDs (thanks Haterobics!), so Rob must have fixed something in the interim (thanks Rob!).

LizzieCurry said: "I'm not really surprised that in the first three paragraphs here, it sounds like the creative team can't agree on what they want the show to be. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/theater/george-takei-guides-allegiance-a-musical-not-a-starship.html?ref=theater&smid=tw-nyttheater&smtyp=cur&_r=0

"

Well, those comments from the team are very much like the ones bandied about during the marketing session in one of their "trek to Broadway" documentary videos on Facebook, i.e. a larger discussion about target audience and avoiding the "it's a downer" thing. I think the way NYT decided to frame that intro against Takei in the third paragraph is where someone might interpret implied clashing, but if Takei felt the story didn't serve to highlight the injustices and facts of the internment, surely he'd speak up, right? (That's just my take of his personality and stake in this whole thing, but who knows.)

Pootie2
#265Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 11:58am

The Allegiance Twitter account just tweeted about talkbacks tomorrow (need a ticket to participate): https://twitter.com/allegiancebway/status/660121387064033280

If anyone goes, I'd love to hear a report.

Scarywarhol
#266Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 12:18pm

The fact that they dwell so heavily on being worried about "downer" source material explains a lot of why the show is so unfocused and non-specidic. It's not like this material is more ostensibly upsetting than FUN HOME last season, or really many critically acclaimed dramatic musicals. It's afraid to be itself. 

Pootie2
#267Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 12:25pm

Scarywarhol said: "The fact that they dwell so heavily on being worried about "downer" source material explains a lot of why the show is so unfocused and non-specidic. It's not like this material is more ostensibly upsetting than FUN HOME last season, or really many critically acclaimed dramatic musicals. It's afraid to be itself. "

The bigger complication for Allegiance is that it historically paints "America" in a bad light, which is why the internment is barely talked about in schools as it is (outside those areas with large participation). I think that's quite related to the whole "downer" aspect. For an event and show about patriotism, it can also be seen as unpatriotic.

neonlightsxo
#268Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 12:27pm

As we know with Hamilton, you can still show the mistakes of our country and not have it be unpatriotic.

I think this would have been salvageable had they hired a strong director, but unfortunately they hired Arima.

Pootie2
#269Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 12:42pm

neonlightsxo said: "As we know with Hamilton, you can still show the mistakes of our country and not have it be unpatriotic.

I think this would have been salvageable had they hired a strong director, but unfortunately they hired Arima.
"

Hamilton was set so long ago, though, and time makes it easier to talk about certain shameful things. Otherwise, I think every single one of the team is a noob; it does make me wonder how Arima was hired if/when he has that kind of theatrical reputation. Well.

Scarywarhol
#270Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 12:43pm

Good point, pootie2. I think where to look there is George himself, who is a patriotic and optimistic person despite having grown up in America that put him in a camp because of his heritage and also made it impossible to be open about his sexual identity. But he believed in his country's capacity to get better. Again, his story is more interesting in pretty much every respect than what the writers came up with. 

neonlightsxo
#271Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 12:52pm

Very true. I just took a look and they have 3 credited book writers? Oof.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#272Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 1:43pm

I’ve seen both Old Globe production and the current Broadway production. I’ll post a song list from OG because it’s significantly different. I don’t remember the second scene (after Old Sam learned Kei’s passing) was about Tanabata (Star Festival – wishing tree part), it was more like Japanese American’s everyday life. BTW the set was awful in that scene. You don't put a wishing paper on a regular tree nor wooden plank. You use bamboo tree with leaves, which is easy to obtain. Overall, I like the revision better except I didn’t like Arima’s direction (I never was impressed with his direction in other productions anyway) this time either.  In OG, Masaoka was portrayed as a bit more a villain and now he is not. There is an excellent article from 2012 (a letter from JACL and response from the production team) that I linked below.  In it, JACL complained about Masaoka’s portrayal and the team responded that “The writers have been careful not to make specific changes based on specific requests,” but apparently they did eventually.

“Sam’s Caucasian, pacifist girlfriend at Heart Mountain aids the resisters … When Sam returns from the war, Mike Masaoka tells Sam that his girlfriend had betrayed the United States. Apparently this leads to Sam forever hating his girlfriend and also his family … Again, Masaoka had nothing to do with telling anyone to despise his girlfriend – the point is to get the audience to hate Masaoka further.”

http://www.rafu.com/2012/08/a-question-of-allegiance/

Here is what I wrote to my friend after seeing OG production:

“The cast was pretty good and I think Telly is the weakest link. For that role, we need a bit more butcher guy. George was good in Grandpa and old Sam. Michael K Lee was excellent as I expected. Telly's Sammy involves with a white girl in the camp but I didn't see any chemistry between them and I think it's too convenient to insert a forbidden love in this show. For the audience to feel sympathetic for them, they have to show a really strong love before they are torn apart but it was very superficial. Another thing I had a problem is that they couldn't convey the feeling that the camp was really miserable and terrible place to live, the audience really need to feel that your dignity was stripped away. They used projections so they could have shown a slideshow or something of the real pic from the camp. Also they focused on the in-fight of Japanese Americans in the camp which was true, but they didn't go into the injustice done by the federal government much. Yes they mentioned it but I don't know if the audience really felt it too? Also as a person who saw both Hiroshima and Nagasaki A-bomb museums, the direction of the A-bomb related scene was nearly offensive. I read a review that praised the effect, but A-bomb was an unimaginably horrific thing and the impact in the show was really lacking, so I'd rather want them to omit it if they can't do a justice. I want to say to Arima visit the places before you try to tackle the A-bomb issue.”

Funny thing is that this time I wasn’t too offended by A-bomb scene. I still think they have too many things to tell within 2.5 hrs and the true villain, U.S. government, wasn’t really there. Instead, those three GI soldiers were the villains. I think it is a delicate situation as you don’t really want to alienate your main stream audience,  but it’s hard to have an empathy when the big numbers in the show were about baseball and dance party.  

Updated On: 10/30/15 at 01:43 PM

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#273Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 1:51pm

I think this was from the preview period 

Allegiance Previews

Pootie2
#274Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/30/15 at 2:10pm

lite2shine said: "I’ve seen both Old Globe production and the current Broadway production. I’ll post a song list from OG because it’s significantly different. I don’t remember the second scene (after Old Sam learned Kei’s passing) was about Tanabata (Star Festival – wishing tree part), it was more like Japanese American’s everyday life. BTW the set was awful in that scene. You don't put a wishing paper on a regular tree nor wooden plank. You use bamboo tree with leaves, which is easy to obtain. Overall, I like the revision better except I didn’t like Arima’s direction (I never was impressed with his direction in other productions anyway) this time either.  In OG, Masaoka was portrayed as a bit more a villain and now he is not. ........ I still think they have too many things to tell within 2.5 hrs and the true villain, U.S. government, wasn’t really there. Instead, those three GI soldiers were the villains. I think it is a delicate situation as you don’t really want to alienate your main stream audience,  but it’s hard to have an empathy when the big numbers in the show were about baseball and dance party.  "

Thanks a lot for your report and the old song list, lite2shine. Framing the wartime U.S. government post-Pearl Harbor as the direct enemy would be too risky even if true, as you say, so I'd guess the creative team intended for those guards to be symbolic stand-ins instead, whether effective or potentially offensive in a different way.

Videos