Lazarus

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#75Lazarus
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:47pm

SH*T, I just missed the last ticket.

How often do they release tickets like this?  Do you just have to keep checking?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#76Lazarus
Posted: 12/4/15 at 2:53pm

bandit964 said: "How often do they release tickets like this?  Do you just have to keep checking?"

No clue, but yes. Between seats they may hold to exchange with subscribers and unused house seats, best to just bookmark it and check often.

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#77Lazarus
Posted: 12/4/15 at 4:39pm

bandit964 said: "SH*T, I just missed the last ticket.

How often do they release tickets like this?  Do you just have to keep checking?

"

There are tix still available on the site for at least three performances this month, if you're still looking. :)

ValentineLaMar
#78Lazarus
Posted: 12/4/15 at 8:39pm

What is the running time? Thanks.

(I'm seeing it Sunday.)

A.Douglas Profile Photo
A.Douglas
#79Lazarus
Posted: 12/4/15 at 8:40pm

One hour and fifty-five minutes, without an intermission. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#80Lazarus
Posted: 12/6/15 at 10:02pm

Picked up two seats in the sixth row Saturday morning after seeing posts here - thanks for the heads up.

Saw the Sunday Matinee and came away impressed again with Ivo Van Hove after seeing his amazing staging of A View From The bridge just last week. His visuals on Lazarus are very effective but his ability to bring clarity is stressed by the very non-theatrical and non-specific lyrics and music of Bowie. Where Bridge was riveting Laz was unengaging. I honestly struggled to not nod off during the first hour. But once the action stepped up with the arrival of the very good Michael Esper I had no problem getting through to the end. The young Sophia Ann Caruso has a beautiful voice and wonderful presence but there's a bit of creep factor in much of what she has to do. Michael C Hall and Cristin Milioti turn in workman performances but I can't say much more. The three backup singers/wardens/who knows  what we're the weakest links. What should have been another ominous layer came off as flat and amateurish. 

Overall an interesting day at a resident theater company doing work you expect from them - not commercial at all - professional, challenging, thought provoking. Successful? No but I'd give it an "A" for effort. 

Up In One

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#81Lazarus
Posted: 12/6/15 at 11:19pm

It is strange to come back from seeing this tonight to see School of Rock getting good reviews, since I always say I rather creatives aim high and miss than aim lower and get a bullseye. Sometimes the former is less easy to sit through than the latter, although I still stand by that desire.

I watched the movie a few days prior to going, and I don't think it made much of a difference. What little you were able to easily sort out based on the movie wasn't very elusive to begin with...

I was also mixed on a lot of famous Bowie songs appearing, as the familiarity didn't make it mesh with the material any easier/better for me.

It's a pretty high-end problem to have that talented cast sing Bowie songs and make performance art for you for two hours, though.

I wouldn't recommend anyone without tickets to knock themselves out trying, though, heh.

mgiltz
#82Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 1:54am

Yes, if you or anyone would give a general idea of new songs versus reworked songs from Bowie's catalog, that would be great. I'd be glad with a specific rundown but perhaps others consider that a spoiler, so maybe a general comment and then warn them you're gonna get specific. Is "Blackstar" in it? I heard that and other songs from his upcoming album were written for the show.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#83Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 2:25am

I think the second part of Blackstar is in it? And the song Lazarus from his upcoming album...

As far as older Bowie songs, the ones I can remember are:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Absolute Beginners, Changes, All the Young Dudes, The Man Who Sold The World, Sound and Vision, Heroes (some changed lyrics)

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#84Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 4:41am

When does this open? I'm curious to see the reviews. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#85Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 8:31am

macnyc said: "When does this open? I'm curious to see the reviews. "

Today.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#86Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 11:45am

Well, I won't have long to wait. Thanks, Hate!

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#87Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 3:21pm

if you or anyone would give a general idea of new songs versus reworked songs from Bowie's catalog, that would be great. I'd be glad with a specific rundown

The songs that I knew or remembered from Bowie's original versions were..

All The Young Dudes - Life On Mars - Changes 

There was no song list but among the other songs used were...

This Is Not America - Valentines day - 

Up In One

neonlightsxo
#88Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 3:26pm

In addition to those mentioned, Dirty Boys, Love is Lost, Always Crashing in the Same Car & This is Not America are also in it.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#89Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 4:02pm

They just extended to Jan 20th so there a few more dates now with plenty of tickets available. 

Has anyone say front row for this show? I've never been to this theatre before and wanted to make sure it was a good view. 

neonlightsxo
#90Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 4:09pm

It's a very small theater, front row should be just fine.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#91Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 7:01pm

I was invited by a critic friend and thank god i did pay money to see this. Pretentious and tedious. You can bring your children but they would be bored. Michael C Hall could not save this tedium.  Great video and special set effect do not make for enthralling theatre. An interminable two hours.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#92Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 9:10pm

Broadway Joe said: "Has anyone say front row for this show? I've never been to this theatre before and wanted to make sure it was a good view."

It is a very low stage and fine. I nearly had MCH in my lap, since I was the last seat over. I would try and go center, if you go front row, though, as we missed stuff that happened upstage on the opposite side a bit, since the "screen" is downstage a bit and blocked it.

Although will miss something if you are on the sides, I will point out, that you won't miss all that much by not attending, though, either.

V2David
#93Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 9:48pm

goldenboy said: "You can bring your children but they would be bored."

Thank you for the update. I am not concerned if they are "bored", I just don't want them to be scared. I am preparing them for the show and leaning towards taking them.

fengshuihellnyc
#94Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 11:13pm

I'm seeing this on the 26th.  Curious where the the actors come out/stage door is as I'd love to have them sign a poster.  Lazarus

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#95Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 11:24pm

V2David said: "Thank you for the update. I am not concerned if they are "bored", I just don't want them to be scared."

Hmm, they might be scared, dependent on ages. I mean, there is the whole element of...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Alan Cumming having murdered the young girl, who is now stuck between worlds or somesuch, and they then goad MCH into killing her in the final scene, and when he finally stabs her, her body leaks a while, milky substance in all directions, rather than blood, since she was already murdered once before?!

Doesn't really sound like a show for children.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#96Lazarus
Posted: 12/7/15 at 11:25pm

fengshuihellnyc said: "I'm seeing this on the 26th.  Curious where the the actors come out/stage door is as I'd love to have them sign a poster."

Given the size of the venue, hard to imagine you'll be able to miss them if you tried...

neonlightsxo
#97Lazarus
Posted: 12/8/15 at 8:02am

There's no stage door. They come out the front door.

Glad to see good reviews from AP, Brantley (NYT), Theater Mania, Rolling Stone, among others.

Updated On: 12/8/15 at 08:02 AM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#98Lazarus
Posted: 12/8/15 at 9:08pm

This show's reviews are like the emperor's new clothes.

We can't give this wunderkind director a bad review. We have to encourage experimentation and New York Theatre works. We don't know what's going on because this is experimental and we can't admit we don't know whats going on so we have to say we like it. We can't pick on David Bowie's music because its  'from his greatest hits even though they do nothing to propel the story and we have no idea why they  are singing.. The actors are working hard and seem committed so we will give them a pass. The video and set are indeed interestiung unfortunately you can't hum or describe a plot from the interesting set.

I wish these critics would grow a pair in these cases and call pretentious tedium pretentious tedium.

Here is my review again. One of the most tedious pretentious nights I've ever spend in the theatre. This is the kind of theatre that makes people hate theatre.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#99Lazarus
Posted: 12/8/15 at 9:57pm

^^^ I agree!