Tonys you wish existed

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#25Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 8:03am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Best Sound Design?

Too soon?

bryan
#26Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 11:13am

best kid  6-12 and 13-18

SidebySidebyLogan Profile Photo
SidebySidebyLogan
#27Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:05pm

I agree with ensemble and projection design. I also agree with the separation of Play/Musical score and playwright as a separate award from Best Play.

As to best song and replacement/successor - I think these categories should be treated with different voting processes similar to Revival categories when the number of nominees is uncertain. Allow nominators to vote for 5 songs/successors (regardless of gender, billing, or show type) and if a consensus is found in the results include the category. I believe they would need to keep the number of nominees in the category loose - 3,4,5, or none depending on where the voting leans - at least while the categories are being established. Though with any category I think it's always better to have a smaller group of deserving nominees than a larger group with tacked on also rans.

I know there are, or at least were at one time, provisions in the Tony guidelines for giving awards to replacement performers but I believe they suffer from 2 problems. Because it isn't a regularly awarded category it isn't top of mind for voters so even if they see someone worthy they don't think about awarding them come Tony season. Secondly, previous threads discussing the few times they seemed close to giving a Tony to replacements were turns by star performers. While this is certainly worthy of an award, if it were to become an actual category I hope some lesser known talents would make it into consideration. Even being on the same list as Bernadette Peters for ALNM or Jane Lynch for Annie, could give a working actor the bump they need to take their career to the next level.

Writing about previous threads on the topic has reminded me of the biggest argument against a regular best replacement category which is how do you get nominators to see them all? It's easy when Bernadette Peters is returning to Broadway but will they really see every Elphaba and Glinda? Does the strategy then become inviting them to see whichever performer producers feel gives them the greatest edge? It's a tricky issue but an interesting one that I feel could be used to everyone's advantage. Tony's get another category- a performance based one (which let's be honest that's what John Q Public is interested in). Long running shows get a way to boost interest. Performers have more chances to further their credibility/prestige.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:15pm

Most of these are silly.  Children in their own category/categories?  What about the years there are only 1 or 2?    Replacements?  How many times is a voter going to have to see each show in a year?  And for how many years?  Off-Broadway?  They have their own awards.  

More isn't better, it's just more.  The more there are, the less meaningful any of them are.  

I DO like the idea, however, of playwright of a straight play being recognized and YES, please bring back Sound.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

The Other One
#29Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:18pm

Mine.

Tom5
#30Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:24pm

"Best Written Play Original". "Best Written Play Adapted". Similar to screenwriting awards at The Oscars. At present the only time a playwright gets an award it is for Best Play and he/she is usually (always) lost on stage among a crowd of Producers.

KathyNYC2
#31Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:32pm

I like the idea of best music.. Not which has a better score, but a Tony for the musicians with the best sound. There arena lot of talented musicians out there that are often taken for granted. Ok, I don't know if we really need this category but I was happy to mention it. Best performance by an orchestra pit. 

KathyNYC2
#32Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:32pm

Sorry double post. I hate posting from my phone. 

Updated On: 12/1/15 at 12:32 PM

Mike Costa Profile Photo
Mike Costa
#33Tony's you wish existed
Posted: 12/1/15 at 12:55pm

We have long lobbied The League to present a award for Best Musical Direction since these are the men and women who put shows together and make them sing.  Often it is the conductor but sometimes it is a Musical Supervisor.

Since The Tony Awards are not about excellence but merely a big commercial put on by The League of Broadway Producers in order to sell their wares this idea has always been shot down.  Also, award winners would then demeaned more money for their work and the Producers would not care to see to have that happen.